Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Rant: (mods do as you will)

I am so weary of being told that my physical/mental deterioration can somehow be slowed down by my attitude or by socializing or by vitamins or anything else.

Show me the scientific studies.

Yes, some folks are in wonderful conditions into their 90s. Others are past their maintenance date by 60 or 70.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Show me the scientific studies.
Here is rather special case:
Quote:
In the studies, patients with early- to later-stage colorectal cancer (but not distant metastases) who engaged in regular activity after diagnosis decreased the likelihood of cancer recurrence and mortality by 40 to 50 percent or more compared with patients who engaged in little to no activity. Exercise Improves Colorectal Cancer Outcomes - National Cancer Institute
I have this reference at hand just because I save references peculiarly relevant to me, and I had non-metastatic colorectal cancer a few years ago. However, I have seen many similar results suggesting beneficial effects of exercise to lower the risk for, or ameliorate, various illnesses.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

My grandfather is 95 and still mentally very sharp and physically mobile. Still puts in half a day in the office every day, lunches at his favorite restaurant, comes home to some fine Cognac, newspaper and a nap. Spends the evening watching TV, playing cards, and chatting with his many kids and grandkids, who make a point of visiting him and keeping him company.

An aunt, on the other hand, suffered from dementia, and had to be put into a "home". Spent the last 10 years of her life like a living corpose, not recognizing her family and not knowing her own name. Her eventual demise was, sadly, a relief for everyone.

Growing old is the reality for everyone, but I hope to do so gracefully and with dignity, and have my wits about me for as long as possible. Physical limitations due to age and illness are one thing, but losing one's mind is, to me, the most terrifying aspect of aging.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I live to be that old and am unable to take care of myself and still can afford to be placed in such luxurious facility, I think I will not complain too much. Of course, I would prefer not to lose my mind and would want to age gracefully but if that is not to be so, I guess living luxuriously while I can is not that terrible.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Live moderately fast, die moderately young, and leave a half decent looking corpse. That's what I always say (these days).
I expect my corpse to be a pile of ashes. The only thing left to determine is if that's before or after the cremation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

I am so weary of being told that my physical/mental deterioration can somehow be slowed down by my attitude or by socializing or by vitamins or anything else.

Everyone's situation is different; however, in general...

Physical mobility and strength can be improved at every age. I doubt you can locate a study with negative result.

Unfortunately, mental deterioration is different. Those suffering from it often don't realize it, and if they did, couldn't do much about it. I doubt you can find a positive result. (My mother spent the last two years in an Alzheimer / dementia facility. About the only thing that seems to get through to (some of) them is music, and the effect is fleeting.)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
If I live to be that old and am unable to take care of myself and still can afford to be placed in such luxurious facility, I think I will not complain too much. Of course, I would prefer not to lose my mind and would want to age gracefully but if that is not to be so, I guess living luxuriously while I can is not that terrible.
When I was researching the costs of self-insuring LTC, I got an estimate of the extra costs involved if I required all the female staff serving me to be attractive young ladies in French maid outfits. It was pretty pricey, but might be worth it. You can't take it with ya.......

Of course, everyone's definition of "luxurious" is different. But I understand that for lecherous old geezers, having the attendent pushing them around in their wheel chair be attractive and scantily attired would qualify.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Of course, everyone's definition of "luxurious" is different. But I understand that for lecherous old geezers, having the attendent pushing them around in their wheel chair be attractive and scantily attired would qualify.
Wasn't that Groucho Marx?

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote