Join Early Retirement Today

Article in LA Times About Growing Old
Old 11-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Article in LA Times About Growing Old

A sobering article in LA Times about growing old, getting sick and frail, and being forced into a old folks' home. Better enjoy your life while you can. Money can buy a lot of things, but it can't buy back your youth or health when you're old and decrepit.

At an age when luxury can't hide the future - latimes.com
CoopersBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"I look in the mirror, and I see it, but I don't 'feel' old," she said. "Until I look at everybody else living here with me."

I believe this is one factor that turns many off of retirement communities. The desire to live in a neighborhood with people of many ages and from diferent walks of life.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
"I look in the mirror, and I see it, but I don't 'feel' old," she said. "Until I look at everybody else living here with me."

I believe this is one factor that turns many off of retirement communities. The desire to live in a neighborhood with people of many ages and from diferent walks of life.
+1

I'm sure they are just fine for many, but the over 55 communities have little appeal for DW and I. At 63, we still prefer our diverse community where our neighbors vary from a couple in their mid-80's to a young, single guy who purchased his parents' home when they moved to a condo.

Of course, we reserve the right to change our minds as we move deeper into geezerhood!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I don't think DW and I will ever want to live in a retirement community or long term care facility. This article just gives us more reasons why not, thanks...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Live moderately fast, die moderately young, and leave a half decent looking corpse. That's what I always say (these days).
Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that mortality is some scary stuff. everybody dies, being reminded that you are moving to the front of the line and that there is nothing you can do to prevent it rankles.

The Greeks had it right - count no man happy till his death.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersBeach View Post
A sobering article in LA Times about growing old, getting sick and frail, and being forced into a old folks' home.
This is why we need to direct research money to the fight against physical aging. I don't need to go to the moon, I just want to keep my body from falling apart.
Aubrey de Grey says we can avoid aging | Video on TED.com
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe I just have a different outlook than most due to the fact that I faced major surgery at 18 and cancer at 34. It seems to me that most folks are simply in denial about the likely course of there lives (and deaths). Then when they move to a retirement community, they have no choice but to acknowledge the facts that have always been there but that they have chosen not to think about.

We currently live in a 55 and over community. Both my parents and my DW's parents lived in continuing care communities until their passing. We spent a lot of time visiting them there so we have a clear picture of what that experience will be like if and when we make that transition. I personally don't expect to have much angst about it.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have no problem accepting the reality of death. I do want to avoid years of deterioration and dependence.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I agree with that one.

I wonder if another is the lack of mobility-- the ability to just get up and go to the beach, even if you have to call a cab and can't use your walker on the sand.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I agree with that one.

I wonder if another is the lack of mobility-- the ability to just get up and go to the beach, even if you have to call a cab and can't use your walker on the sand.
I do worry about that. I want to quit driving before I become a hazard. I will still need some transportation. Are there private driving services for old farts?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I will still need some transportation. Are there private driving services for old farts?
My mother used the Honolulu city bus to get to and from downtown (over an hour ride from our home) up until her mid 80s, which was an impressive feat, since she could hardly see a thing, due to macular degeneration. Honolulu also has a "handi-van" system, $2 per ride, by appointment, nearest curbside to nearest curbside, for people with handicaps preventing them from using the regular bus system. Of course, there are taxis.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with that one.

In the case of my father-in-law now (he's in his 90s), forget about going to the beach, forget about using the walker. He couldn't even get up from bed, or even rise up from his chair. My father was like that for a year before he died, but he was sick. My FIL's condition was simply due to his age.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with that one.

Sure you can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pixar-up-carl-fredricksen-costume-walker-700x700.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Grumpy. I don't see myself having much angst either. I currently live in an over-55 community and can't imagine living in a regular house in a regular neighborhood or (shutter to think of it) in the country somewhere. I enjoy my neighbors and life in general and think as a whole we are more health conscious and active than we would be living elsewhere. I am also familiar with the next step in life having seen my in-laws move to senior housing such as that described in the article.

Life is what you make of it at all stages. You can choose to be happy and positive where ever you are planted or you can decide that life just isn't fair. I really don't understand how anyone can bemoan the fact that they have grown old. I have known many people in my life that haven't had the problem of growing old. Every day that I am here is a good day.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

It is difficult for me to relate to the article...I'm 52.

My mom passed at age 72. My husband passed at age 50 and 10 months.

I see the sun come up every day. For this I hope I would be thankful, no matter what age, unless I was in very bad health or severe pain.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I do worry about that. I want to quit driving before I become a hazard. I will still need some transportation. Are there private driving services for old farts?
I expect that my Venza will be my last vehicle, or very nearly so. I want to seriously cut back on my driving once I reach age 70, in 8 years. I don't drive very much now.

When I look for my new home, a location within walking distance of a grocery store and other businesses will be a big plus. I plan to walk to everything within walking distance, and if all else fails call a cab.

Paying for a cab can be an expense of growing older. On the other hand, it isn't as much more as one might think. Right now I am paying $1438 in car insurance, which is enough to pay for 36 round trip cab expeditions per year, at $20 each direction. The money I am presently spending on gas, oil, and maintenance would pay for a few more.

Calling a cab when away from home is so much easier, now that we have cell phones. Also, as we can now order many things online and have them delivered, there is less reason to leave home to begin with than once was the case.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
. I have known many people in my life that haven't had the problem of growing old. Every day that I am here is a good day.

Thanks for a great reminder . I am ten years older than my brother was when he died !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I expect that my Venza will be my last vehicle, or very nearly so.
My dad retired at 62 and purchased his "last car" - three times. He died at age 90.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It is difficult for me to relate to the article...I'm 52.
Of course it is difficult for you. And it is not necessarily because of your age. Look at your avatar!

I am just a bit older, but I am of the gloomy type. When I was a kid, I was more like Charlie Brown, not the kid like REWahoo was. I think it is the young REW photo that he is using as avatar. I couldn't help it. I am me, just like Khan is always Khan.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote