Join Early Retirement Today

Re: AUSTRALIA
Old 05-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidA
ANy ideas on remedies for seasickness (what actually works)* Thanks, Katie
One of my old buddies, Vince Capra, spent WWII in a Coast Guard vessel patrolling off Long Island sound & points east. If the chief wasn't happy with Vince's performance he'd end up in a 110-degree engine room or a -10 degree foc'sle watch, so Vince developed a pretty good set of sea legs. During one of our bouncy Monterey Bay fishing trips, when everyone was hurling various bodily fluids over the side (if they were lucky to make the side), Vince was comfortably sitting to windward eating a mayo & baloney sandwich. I think the sight of him enjoying his lunch made several people hurl.

Speaking as a submariner there are only two reliable solutions:
1. Experience via exposure through the Vince Capra career path (which I avoided whenever possible), and
2. The scope patch.

If you're stuck without either, some ears find relief when you keep your eyes on the horizon. Of course this approach is no help at night or in fog. It doesn't work very well on a periscope either.

There used to be a lot of medical concern about using a patch with SCUBA. If you're planning to go diving then you should check the product warning or a diving website, or even your doctor. Unless your doctor has a C-card, though, I doubt you'll get a current answer.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidA
thanks!! I will talk to my doctor next week about the patches - being seasick stinks (I even got seasick on the inside passage in Alaska!!) so I am all for whatever works.
SolidA, DW has worn the patches to avoid motion sickness on three cruises. They've worked really well for her, but be aware of some potential side effects (listed on the package). She suffered from "dry mouth" on every cruise (no, it wasn't an excuse to drink more Pina Coladas...). On this last one, she suffered from what can only be described as mild halucinations.

They occurred only when she was sleeping, and caused her to "act out" whatever strange dreams she was having. (Think sitting up in bed and reaching out in front of you to hold a steering wheel, etc.) They weren't frightening in nature, she described them as very irritating as she would wake up in the middle of them. On the other hand, I found them very disturbing, a la the Lorena Bobbitt discussion taking place on another thread.

However, if we take another cruise I'm positive she will use them agian.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Here are a couple photos from Mrs. Cut-Throat and I's trip to N.Z.
Mrs. Cut-throat looks a lot better in the first picture than in the second one...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Mrs. Cut-throat looks a lot better in the first picture than in the second one...
I thought there was something fishy about that...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:00 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

We went to Australia and NZ (along with several other stops) for 6 weeks (Feb/Mar) this year.* Rented a car in NZ for 3 weeks - weather was great, as were the people and the spectacular landscape.* Visited both North and South Island - South Island was our favorite.* Loved our stay so much, we are thinking about going back again next year and stay for a couple months.

In Australia we hit Tasmania, Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns.* We booked short day tours with ATP tours who also handled the hotels - did a great job.* Melbourne was our favorite city though the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney were also nice as was Tasmania.* We flew Jet Blue everywhere - no frills - very efficient - low cost - etickets and on time.* Something like Southwest here in the states.

You will have a great trip.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A couple years ago DH and I did NZ and AU as a rewind of our youth (60s) in car-campers (couldn't find VW pop-tops).* Retired, we had the blessing of time.*

NZ is much like our stomping grounds, the northwest.* They even use Oregon State University as their forestry consultants!* Our big issue was that they drove like Angelinos on roads that looked like they were designed by the Forrest Service.* It was a kick to see the second use of farm tractors as boat launchers.*

AU is a place we could move to, if only the kids would follow.* Won't bore you with our adventures, which were many.* Missed my mountians 'tho.*