Join Early Retirement Today

Author of "Idiot's guide to ER" plans to work forever
Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Author of "Idiot's guide to ER" plans to work forever

I came across one of these typical "retirement is boring" articles. Nothing about it seemed particularly noteworthy. That is, until I read the author's bio and found out she is also the author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Retiring Early. I'll say.

Money quote: "I am really concerned about our retirement. I plan to work forever."

Do as I say, not as I do?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Eh, she's just having too much fun.

And she'll be paying FICA with that.

To be fair, her post about test-driving retirement wasn't too bad. (Minus the Robin Williams movie on RV'ing.) But whenever I read that someone "voluntarily dissolved their practice to devote their full time to educating consumers" I think: Riiiiight.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think that she had some good points. I have been semi retired for 5 years so I have been able to kind of test drive it. I am still not overly anxious to pull the plug as work is just too easy now and is now actually a bit fun. No deadlines or pressure, I just put in my hours and go home 4 mornings a week.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was concerned about bordom before I retired, but how bad can it be? I can always go volunteer if I get bored. Until then it's Netflix and video games all day.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I was concerned about bordom before I retired, but how bad can it be? I can always go volunteer if I get bored. Until then it's Netflix and video games all day.
Amen!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She has some creds...

Those idiot and dummy books often provide a compilation of known and somewhat undisputed information for people to get acquainted with the issues. They tend to not be hard core detail or advanced concepts. Authors are merely assembling the basics. While it takes some effort and know how on the part of the author, they are not breaking new ground. But their work is often useful to beginners.

The "retirement is boring" article... She is probably freelancing and needed a topic. It is an eye catching headline for the article to draw people in.

What she said is general advice. However, boredom is not the primary issue. She gets at the primary issue a couple of paragraphs into the article. Obviously if one has not already figured that part out, there will likely be problems (for many).

Quote:
Next try living on the income you will have coming in as a retiree. Calculate what your sources of income will be and try living on that for 3 to 6 months. How tight is it? Can you still do the fun things you had planned? Will you need a part time job in retirement? Do you need to work longer and accumulate more benefits?
IMO - the problem is the word "RETIREMENT". I prefer the words Financially Independent. People who stop working should have some sort of interests to fill their day. I think most people can deal with it quite well.

I cannot speak for the rest of the world, but I can for myself. I have many personal interests to pursue. They are things that I wanted to do earlier in life but for one reason or another it was not practical.

Now I get to pursue those things! I am sure I will pick up quite a few more goals along the way.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reading just a few paragraphs of the article linked above and I don't want to read anymore.

"Wanna do this? Well it's not all it's cracked up to be. Try it first. I couldn't do it. You'll probably hate it."

Gee, thanks. I agree with the underlying premise that you should try something before you commit whole hog, especially if it requires a big investment. But it's so negative. She sounds like a real peach. If the Idiot's book is anything like that, no thanks.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote