Join Early Retirement Today

Avoiding a "retirement party"
Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Avoiding a "retirement party"

I'm class of 2013. April 1 is the day, which means March 29 is the last work day.

Because we're a relatively small law firm, and I have some nice credentials and certifications, I've agreed they can leave my name on everything and suggested it would be foolish to announce an official retirement. It might affect future business. I think my partners agree with that and find some value in keeping my name associated with the firm.

So how do I avoid them doing a retirement party? Everyone I know who has said they don't want one ends up with one anyway. Maybe you just can't avoid it.

My intention isn't so much to retire as it is to just quit coming to work and to quit getting a paycheck. Retirement sounds like something really old people do!

Oh well. Maybe I'll just sneak out a week or so early.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The retired attorneys in my building still 'participate' in their profession for social, if not economic, reasons. Your name will still be around, there won't be an official retirement announcement. Why not hold an 'anniversary' party? You will then have the opportunity to roast your colleagues and they can toast you.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If you allow them to use your name as a brand, I think you should use this to negotiate "emeritus" status at the firm. They could make an office space available to you and could call you in to mentor them with very "special" clients only. That would avoid the perception of a complete break and hopefully the party.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you allow them to use your name as a brand, I think you should use this to negotiate "emeritus" status at the firm. They could make an office space available to you and could call you in to mentor them with very "special" clients only. That would avoid the perception of a complete break and hopefully the party.
+1 on Mead's idea.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
Retirement sounds like something really old people do!
Good grief...

You've been participating on this board for two years and you still think the earth is flat that way? Or is that a reflection of some inner concern about your self-worth once you are "out to pasture"?

Re the retirement party issue, that's a tempest in a teapot, no more than a momentary interruption in the flow of your life. Not worth worrying about.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not have a retirement party. Nor do I need a "memorial office" at my former employer.

Just retire and get on with it! You won't think about your former workplace after you have been gone a month!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to associate the term retirement to older folks - my Grandfather retired at 71, my Father 69. All the people I knew that were retired were old... But I got friends that were retired cops, firemen, military etc though various groups I joined and they were in their late forties/early 50s and were having a ball being retired. The retire = expire days are for the most part gone!

Congrats on the pending retirement! Getting out of the party will be tricky - the party is enjoyed by all (hopefully) and therefore often pushed.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

I told my colleagues I did not want a party, and some of them advised me as follows: A retirement party is like a funeral. It is not so much for the guy retiring as it is for those left behind. It gives them a chance to say their goodbyes and helps them get thru the process of separation.

So, I relented, went to the party, had a few tears, but also had a great time.

My advice: if they want to give you a party, let them, and have a good time, knowing it is at least as much a party for them as it is for you.

FWIW-having had my own two retirement parties within the past 10 days.

R
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
I'm class of 2013. April 1 is the day, which means March 29 is the last work day.

Because we're a relatively small law firm, and I have some nice credentials and certifications, I've agreed they can leave my name on everything and suggested it would be foolish to announce an official retirement. It might affect future business. I think my partners agree with that and find some value in keeping my name associated with the firm.

So how do I avoid them doing a retirement party? Everyone I know who has said they don't want one ends up with one anyway. Maybe you just can't avoid it.

My intention isn't so much to retire as it is to just quit coming to work and to quit getting a paycheck. Retirement sounds like something really old people do!

Oh well. Maybe I'll just sneak out a week or so early.
I'm in a similar situation where some of our business would be hampered if I announced a "retirement". I'm pulling the plug March 29th, but will come into the office 1 - 2 days a week, and continue to answer emails, etc.

My colleagues suggested a retirement party. I said I wasn't really retiring, and I wouldn't accept a retirement party. Instead, I emailed a meeting invitation for March 29th at 3:30 at the local Tilted Kilt for some frivolity.

This reasoning could work in your case.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Listen here mister.

In my life, someone retiring means that I'm that much closer to my own retirement! That's why I love (and need) retirement parties!
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

Your retirement is just an excuse for everyone else to goof off for a short time. Let them have their party.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

As someone who almost never attended a good-bye luncheon in my 23 yars of wrking, I declined the invitation to have them hold one for me when I left my company in 2008 to ER. Instead, I went to lunch with my best friend/coworker who treated me to lunch. Later that dy, some of my coworkers gave methe money they would have spent on my luncheon, about $160, which was very nice of them and most unexpected. No regrets.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Your retirement is just an excuse for everyone else to goof off for a short time. Let them have their party.
Yeah. I don't know why so many people think of it as a funeral. When I retired, they threw me a cook out at work. We all had a blast for an hour or so and it was back to work for most. Oh yes, they gave me a new golf cart so maybe that is why I enjoyed my party as much as I did.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
Administrator

There are lots of reasons to have a celebration. Unless the retirement parties are universally painful, let folks have a moment of work related enjoyment. Give them something to look forward to. If you're thinking about staying connected, saying so when everyone is in the room is a good way to get the message out.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There are lots of reasons to have a celebration. Unless the retirement parties are universally painful, let folks have a moment of work related enjoyment. Give them something to look forward to. If you're thinking about staying connected, saying so when everyone is in the room is a good way to get the message out.
I agree with this. In my case, I declined the offer to have a "coffee and cake" deal at our workplace which would have been dreadfully boring and instead sent an email inviting everyone to join me at a bar. We closed down the joint, it was a nice way to go out

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
gone traveling

Maybe they should simply make you a board or advisory board member, and invite you back a few times a year to attend a board meeting (for a fee) and thereby you can avoid the officially retired moniker and party.

I am leaving my company in April too and don't want a party. Although its still months off, someone brought that subject up the other day, wanting to know where my party would be held
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
gone traveling

When I retired from the group that I was with, I asked that there be no party/recognition and that any money/contributions be sent to one of my named charities.

I w*rked with a large group of a couple of hundred people, both in Euroland and the U.S.

I was shocked by the amount of money that was raised (the charity sent me a note, of the amount that was contributed "in my name") - which I attribute to my desire that somebody/organization would benefit rather than myself (and no, I did not take a tax deduction; I'm sure the corporate contribution -which was a match against all personal contributions, and the cost of a party - was deducted from "their side" .)

Anyway, it would have been impossible for everybody to gather at one time (in the middle of "The Pond"?) It worked out quite well, and I was quite pleased with the results. I didn't realize that I was not viewed (at least by most) as a PIA, based upon the contributions made. Maybe they were happy just to see me go ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting thread. I am not a fan of retirement parties at work, or for that matter, any kind of personal gatherings like baby showers or engagement parties (company paid lunches are ok though, since it saves me from having to spend money on a meal ). But then again, I don't view work as something I do for fun, or as a place to make friends. I put in my time in order to receive my paycheck, and I have little desire to do any ancillary stuff. Perhaps I have a negative view of work, and that's probably due to reading books like "Your Money or Your Life" and online sites like this forum.
azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

I agree with this. In my case, I declined the offer to have a "coffee and cake" deal at our workplace which would have been dreadfully boring and instead sent an email inviting everyone to join me at a bar. We closed down the joint, it was a nice way to go out
Now that is the right way to go! Good idea, Steel!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Good ideas! I've thought that I wouldn't mind giving legal advice to people I like or helping people I like, I just don't want to be tied down to regular hours, overhead, staff and all that. There is too much else to do.

I guess other people can do whatever they want to do and it won't make much difference to me in the long run.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote