Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
After experimenting with a lot of activities, I seem to be settling into a regular routine of golf twice weekly, two book clubs per month, and regular get togethers. It's beginning to feel like Cheers without the booze: "everybody knows your name".

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Sounds like a great retirement to me, I will sign up for that! I would like to add a dog to the routine like you, Dawg, but being single it is too difficult. I am usually out 2-3 days a week on the "senior scrambles tour" and that is 8-9 hours factoring in drive time and play. GF is gone 10 hours daily working and driving so no one around to keep "the bombs" from dropping. Plus I travel just enough through my Vegas trips and halfway point visits with friends it just isnt possible.
My daughter has a dog though, and there are 3 dogs on my daily walking trail I go into the yards and pet each day. They look forward to it and the neighbors don't shoot "intruders" here.

I didn't have a dog for most of my working life because of the reasons you state. I'm single too and I didn't want to have to deal with a dog when going out of town. But now I have a good neighbor who is more than happy to let my dog out if I'm gone most of the day. And my dog goes with me to the coast. He's fine by himself for 4-5 hours at a time. Actually longer than that. He's an easy keeper.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...
Not much routine for me either.
Apart from travel to interesting places, what keeps me fresh and engaged is learning new things. Right now I have three projects where I am learning huge amounts of new information in each.

One is learning another language (I only know two besides my native one). The other two are barbecue and sourdough. These are all multi-year projects. I had no idea that cooking meat and baking bread required so much knowledge and experience to do well, but they do! Well, for me at least. And no matter how much I do them, I still keep finding new little details I hadn't realized before. Great fun.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #24
I like having some loose structure and routine to my daily life. If it gets tiresome, we are free to do something else and sometimes we do.

If we didn't have a routine, I'd be feeling a bit anxious right now and thinking "I have to figure out what I'm going to do to get out of the house today, don't want to become a recluse".

Instead, I know for a fact that soon F will call and we'll be off to lunch, errands, and a pleasure drive, because that is our usual routine. So meanwhile, I can blithely post on the forum without a care.

Works for me.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm the opposite of being in too much of a routine. I need more routine in my life to get my declutter / home fix up projects and chores done.

We're always out and about. We usually have an event or two on the calendar for every day of the week. We went out for brunch yesterday and then saw a play in the city at night. I feel like we won't be making the trek into the city and coming home at midnight when we are 80 or maybe even 70, so why not seize the day now. Our motto is the dust bunnies can wait.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
I try to stay away from a routine. Although my activities are generally the same, I try to mix things up. Travel / explore somewhere new. Read something different. Try something new in my workshop. Experiment with a new photography technique/locale. Attack home/ yard work differently. Generally try to make every day a new adventure.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I remember my elderly aunt and uncle declining an invitation to play cards on a Sunday evening because they went to church on Sunday (morning).
We have friends who say that they plan one new event most days since being retired and we find that to be a good idea. We will not run ourselves ragged on Wednesday and then sit around the house Thursday even if that is more efficient.
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Two of my favorite people are folks I see at the beach in my "routine" beach dog walk.
When we visit these same friends at their beachfront condo, we always walk their dog. I get up every morning and do it before 8. But we also do a beach walk in the afternoon. Although it is a routine, I prefer to consider it a tradition.
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Work outs, bike rides, Internet chat rooms, and my investments are the major sources of routine. Non routine is travel, mostly between our homes, and reacquainting with our friends at these places. International travel also spices things up. Seems like a pretty good mix at this point.
Even with travel, we try to plan out the major activities so they all occur on their own day. Because we are retired, we will do a city in a week when working people could cram it all into 3 days. We enjoy taking the time to smell the flowers.
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I like having some loose structure and routine to my daily life. If it gets tiresome, we are free to do something else and sometimes we do.

If we didn't have a routine, I'd be feeling a bit anxious right now and thinking "I have to figure out what I'm going to do to get out of the house today, don't want to become a recluse".
Yes I appreciate the recluse aspect. Often DW and I plan separate events that do not overlap. Usually I am returning when she is leaving. This gives us each quiet time at home as well.
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Generally try to make every day a new adventure.
Yes we go by the philosophy of trying some thing that scares us. This used to be a daily event but is now more like weekly. Of course, riding a bike on a busy downtown street might qualify now, whereas before it would be ziplining!

We have also found that we can really enjoy our DVR. It is no longer Survivor on Wednesday. We set up the recordings and then go about our lives. When the mood strikes, we watch the recordings. When we run out of recorded stuff, then we get onto Netflix and carry on with the many serials that we never got into live. Life is very rich with on demand content! I can imagine watching Downton Abbey in the rocking chair.

The only problem is when tennis is on. We do not want to record it because it it too much and very timely. But right now, the French Open is taking up time. This is something that we could never do when working. We would catch the results on the late sportscasts.

So the net effect is that we do whatever we feel like whenever the mood strikes us. Life is great.

And when people ask us "What do you do all day?" we say "Whatever we want!". Working people will take about five years of retirement to truly understand our response!

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote