AZ second home ?

renferme

Recycles dryer sheets
Until the recent boom in housing prices, I had, in the back of my mind, a desire for a second home in AZ, probably the Phoenix area, as my wife is a "big city" person.
Now with prices sky high in all the desirable areas within the US of A, I am thinking something a bit different.
I would like to get out of the Pittsburgh area for at least one of the winter months, most likely January.
I should say right now that this is an idea for the future because my wife is still working - how long ? Don't know but could be as long as 9 more years - but I can dream anyway.
Anyway, I have discovered a site: www.craigslist.org
that I have viewed and found rental properties in the Phoenix area; rentals for as short as 1 week, 1 month, up to several months or longer.
Anyone familiar with craigs list ?
Just thought I'd share a "dream" with you guys!

Ray

I have the same thoughts about NM, especially Taos. Either I will buy after the crash, or I will rent. I have had success with short term rentals via vrbo.com.

bennevis said:
Craigslist rocks; we check it every day for things we need (and for more things that we don't need). It's much more active than the print classifieds.

There's nothing to guard against false advertising, though, so it's probably better to plan on having a board member check into the prospects or to stay in a hotel for the first week while you look around.

Often times you hear people say when I retire I'll get a fortune for my house and move. But then where do you go and how much are you going to pay?

You make a nice pile on this house and spend a small fortune on the next one, where are you?

I have an exit plan, but it's not for everyone. I have my retirement home now and use it on the weekends. The country property is rising % wise faster than my city home. So when I finally retire I won't be priced out of the market.

Wish I would of bought it 30 years ago, would of been pocket change back then. The land had an agriculture value, that dropped every year until the last 7 years. Now farm land in plots of 100 or more acres are hard to come by. And very expensive. In my area not one of these farms that sold, was bought by a farmer. It was bought by a developer or as recreational land.

Don't give up on finding a home in AZ. There is still value to be found, you just have to spend a winter down here and focus on finding a deal. which might be fun in itself. Craigslist is ok, but no substitute for driving the neighborhoods and getting familir with where you would be happy living.

Rental is a good choice right now. We bought a home in Scottsdale two years ago for $260K, and now we're told it's worth over $500K. Crazy. Unless you're talking about a rural area, I'd be surprised if you can find a deal in urban AZ now.

Good luck ... it is a most beautiful state.

bennevis said:

Ray

Yep, bought my FSBO house on craigslist. Sold a bunch of big stuff (appliances etc.) that were not suitable for Ebay. I also got quite a few of my subs from craigslist. Still got to be careful too though. I will be meeting one of my contractors again within a few weeks - this time in court. Overall craigslist is fantastic.

Vicky

Back
Top Bottom