Join Early Retirement Today

Re: backyard paradise
Old 07-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #21

I'll see if I can top you. On Monday, I am taking a 3/4 ton truckload of furniture and household stuff to the
local auction barn (cleaning out the place). I figure
my total investment at around $25.00 for everything
as it was bought at flea markets/garage sales and/or
scrounged for free. Of course, I have no idea what
it will bring, but I have no risk as it is worth $25 just to
have it out of the house. I could make a lot of money
just buying and selling "stuff", and I enjoy it. Guess I
enjoy loafing more

JOhn Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Overstock has a number of reconditioned laptops for $399-550 that are perfect for wireless web surfing in the backyard...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

My husband routinely buys "old" office equipement from the university salvage center and from ebay, fixes them, and sells them for about 10x what he has into them. He makes money off junk!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My husband routinely buys "old" office equipement from the university salvage center and from ebay, fixes them, and sells them for about 10x what he has into them. *He makes money off junk!
Yelnad, where / how does he market the stuff?

Thanks, Mikey
Old 07-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My husband routinely buys "old" office equipement from the university salvage center and from ebay, fixes them, and sells them for about 10x what he has into them. *He makes money off junk!
I had the same question as Mikey - where does he sell his stuff? E-bay is great for shippable things, but I'm really curious about the furniture.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

He sells by word of mouth to small local companies. He has about 3-4 offices that he does most of it for. He could probably expand, but this isn't his main line of work.

Since he's a geek (and admits it) he's does a lot of technology consulting with folks in the mortage/housing industry. He finds out what they need, for example, a kick ass photo copier that does all sorts of fancy stuff. Then he goes out and buys 2 "older" (or off lease) models (usually 3 years old or so) for less than $1000 each, combines them to make one working one still in great condition, and sells it for a profit. The brand new current year model of the machine would sell for about $10-15,000. He also provides them with basic service. They save about 50% on it and he makes 200-300%.

He doesn't sell much on ebay...mostly buys. Often he pays more in freight shipping than for the actual things he's buying.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Since he's a geek (and admits it) he's does a lot of technology consulting with folks in the mortage/housing industry.
Sounds like he's having fun. I'm a self-confessed geek too (although not the computer type). When I get teased, I just tell people I've learned to embrace my inner geek.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I cant believe you could even summon up the willpower to THINK about googling. Especially this late.
I'm so lazy I can't even TYPE "google."

A
Old 07-25-2004, 08:01 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Switch to the firefox browser.

Has a permanent little box you can type google queries into.

Also opens all your favorite pages at the same time so you dont have to do all that pesky and laborious clicking.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:02 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a lazy ER's dream. But I have Google's toolbar right on top of the window here in IE. I understand the other advantages of switching to Firefox include its non-vulnerability to all the Windows worms and viruses.

Too lazy to switch at the moment, though. . .

Anne
Old 07-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'm too lazy to try to talk you into it.

Saw an excellent t-shirt at sams club today:

"I wont work for ANYTHING".
Old 07-25-2004, 06:59 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh! I think about half of the population here at the early-retirement discussion board "NEEDS" one of those t-shirts!

Fortunately, most everyone here is far too frugal to succumb to that sort of "need."

Most of my t-shirts with goofy sayings are inspirational hockey shirts: "If hockey was easy, they'd call it figure skating."

"Hockey: invented by men, perfected by women."

and the like.

Anne
Old 07-26-2004, 05:52 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey! How do I get foxfire to open all my favorites at once? That would save me some time while I'm surfing at work :P
Old 07-26-2004, 06:36 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Go to Bookmarks, Manage Bookmarks

Make a folder

Put all your favorites into that folder

Then when you go into that folder from Bookmarks, look for Open in Tabs at the bottom, click on it and it opens 'em all up.