Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #21

The only ones we'll be going to are the free ones downtown in the square, if it's not too hot. The city and some sponsors put on a series of concerts with local bands. It's a pretty laid-back atmosphere and the music is usually good.

The photo is from one last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Band-1.jpg (178.8 KB, 10 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
I gave up on concerts in my 40's - too many rude people, people end up standing even in reserved seating venues so everyone ends up standing.

And this

Oh - and get off my lawn, too!
I was feeling the same way - but found my way to some great concerts by accident.... Was downtown and saw the Balboa Theater (the one at Horton Plaza) had Elvis Costello on the marquee... turned out tickets were going for sale the next day - and it wasn't being widely advertised. Small venue. Solo show. Most of the crowd was late 40's to early 60's... and clearly used to be hip... but that ship had sailed. A year or so later, I saw in a Mission Bay Aquatic Center email that they were sponsoring Los Lobos... Did some digging because this show was SOOOO not easy to find. It was a benefit for the La Jolla Arts Festival - it was at the Illumina amplitheater (the one you can see from 805, just north of Nobel Dr.) I don't think it was advertised at all - I had to email a bunch of people to find out how to get tickets... the venue was only half full. But it was a great show.

In that same time frame X played at the Belly Up - again, small venue... Great show.

I refuse to go to arena type shows. I can't take the crowds... but for the right band/artist... I'll definitely have fun at a small venue.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As someone who loves music, I must admit that I rarely go to concerts anymore. I'm in a few bands and get most of my musical enjoyment rehearsing and gigging with them, but the only concert I've been to in the last decade was Rush a couple years ago.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was feeling the same way - but found my way to some great concerts by accident.... Was downtown and saw the Balboa Theater (the one at Horton Plaza) had Elvis Costello on the marquee... turned out tickets were going for sale the next day - and it wasn't being widely advertised. Small venue. Solo show. Most of the crowd was late 40's to early 60's... and clearly used to be hip... but that ship had sailed. A year or so later, I saw in a Mission Bay Aquatic Center email that they were sponsoring Los Lobos... Did some digging because this show was SOOOO not easy to find. It was a benefit for the La Jolla Arts Festival - it was at the Illumina amplitheater (the one you can see from 805, just north of Nobel Dr.) I don't think it was advertised at all - I had to email a bunch of people to find out how to get tickets... the venue was only half full. But it was a great show.

In that same time frame X played at the Belly Up - again, small venue... Great show.

I refuse to go to arena type shows. I can't take the crowds... but for the right band/artist... I'll definitely have fun at a small venue.
EC and Los Lobos were hip in their time but I doubt they have the same drive -- artistic, anger, political -- that they used to have.

I remember the old movies from the '50s where rock music pit generations against each other.

It's the music of youth and rebellion.

It's not your father's oldsmobile!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #25

I highly recommend Fleetwood Mac if you have the chance. DW and I are not huge fans, but we do like their music. But wow we had a blast at their concert, and was way above our expectations. They just banged out one hit song after another.
If you're like us and just like them, you'll really enjoy it. If you love their music, I guess it'll be that much better!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw the Eagles, Sanatana, Lady Gaga and Katie Perry in the last year and 1/2 or so. Couple of them in Vegas. You can almost always find a fun musical event in Vegas.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Tops on the list of ER activities my DW identified prior to pulling the plug was 'travel based on going to concerts and festivals'.

I think we've hit our groove with this summers tours.. so far have seen or have tickets to go to:

Doobie Brothers, Don Felder (Felder kicked ass)
Jimmy Buffett
Rolling Stones
Steely Dan
Alabama Shakes

anyone else touring that you'd recommend?
The Grateful Dead - June 27-28 in San Jose & Chicago July 4th;
Jackson Browne - playing many venues;
DW and I saw the Rolling Stones in San Diego last weekend. We had good seats but the sound echoing from behind home plate was terrible.
We saw Steely Dan, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac last year. All were great shows.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #28

For the Canadians - we saw Jesse Cook last year. He plays "New Flamenco" - all night l;ong DW leaned over and shispered "I can't believe a tall skinny white guy can play Flamenco like that". He's touring Canada (his homeland). He'll also be back in Chicago late fall.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #29

I was sorely disappointed to miss Beck when he came to Charleston, but friends said it was an amazing show.

My parents got tickets for the Rolling Stones Orlando show. Mom is a huge fan and they are (ok, she is) very excited about it. She's seen them twice, once just a few weeks after her kidney transplant!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
I gave up on concerts in my 40's - too many rude people, people end up standing even in reserved seating venues so everyone ends up standing.

And this

Oh - and get off my lawn, too!

Well BBQ, I can clearly see why you have a problem with concerts. You should have waited until 50 and start going and then watch the "aging baby boomer" performers. I went an seen John Cougar last week on the 8th row and didn't stand that often. Everybody is too damn old to stand the entire concert.
I read in an online newspaper concert review last week Robert Plant chastised his crowd for not getting up and yelling. Sorry Bob, but we are all old also and spend good money to sit comfortably and watch YOU entertain us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Have a friend who just saw the Stones in San Diego and swears it was worth every penny.
It was. Mick is 20 years older than me, and there is no way I could have kept up with him dancing all over that huge stage.

We got the Amex preferred seating in the 2nd pricing tier, so we were in regular baseball seats at about $200 per ticket, but had a very good view of the stage. Not something we would do every week, but it's the only time we'll see them and it was worth it.

Other bands a family member is seeing for her "summer of concerts" this year are AC/DC, Rush, the Dead.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocadorunner View Post
DW and I saw the Rolling Stones in San Diego last weekend. We had good seats but the sound echoing from behind home plate was terrible.
I really noticed the echoes during the warm-up act, but couldn't hear them during the Stones set at all. I'm sorry the problem persisted into the main show for you.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We're going to a jazz concert at a winery, featuring Chris Botti, earl Klugh, Bob James and his son, Morgan. I'm not that big on concerts because physical issues make it difficult to sit for long periods of time. Couldn't pass up the venue, though. Haven't been to this winery, but they are usually beautiful places. Plus wine!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #34

Just booked Van Halen on a whim. 20K capacity venue. I probably have as much fun going to see a local band at a dive bar, but it's who we're going with, you know, that makes the difference.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #35

Stevie Wonder was my most recent big venue concert. Great show. He played the entire Songs in the Key of Life double album, with just few extras and old favorites at the end. An amazing band and back-up singers. And I was blown away by how little his voice has changed at age 70+.

Minus one on the skeptical Los Lobos comment. I've seen them 4 or 5 times over thirty years. Their best show was the last one I saw.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
EC and Los Lobos were hip in their time but I doubt they have the same drive -- artistic, anger, political -- that they used to have.

I remember the old movies from the '50s where rock music pit generations against each other.

It's the music of youth and rebellion.

It's not your father's oldsmobile!
They may not have had the anger/drive... but they put on great shows... and could still sing well. Like wine, they've aged well. And I also don't have the anger/drive I did back in the day.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Last concert was right after I retired 2 years ago. Styx, REO Speedway, and Ted Nugent. Very nice show in a small outdoor theater. This month we go see the Stones. I always wanted to see them, now I can. Yes, the AMEX deal worked well for that concert.

🐑
Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #38

I'm not really a classical guy, but my nephew plays with the LSO, so when they played here in SF a couple of months ago, I couldn't pass up the chance to see them. What fun seeing him on stage playing with the orchestra. It was all I could do to stop myself from standing up in the middle of the concert and yelling his name!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The last concert we saw was Muse in a big auditorium. Almost all the concert goers, well at least everyone in front of us, stood the entire time so we had to stand too to see anything.

We're seeing a play in an outdoor amphitheater surrounded by Redwoods this week and I'm going to enjoy sitting and drinking. Beer and Shakespeare - what is not to like? (Actually I'm not sure my husband likes the Shakespeare part, but he goes anyway for me.)
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm in for the Stones, also Neko Case at the end of this month and My Morning Jacket at the end of July.

Robert Plant is touring with the Pixies, which is an interesting combo on paper, at least.