Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

ZZ Top will literally be performing "La Grange"in La Grange, Tx Sept. 5th Labor Day weekend at the Fayette County Fair. 1st time ever, should be a blast! The fairgrounds are only a mile or so from the Chicken Ranch property.
johnnyfuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've seen the stones 6 times dating back to 1972 and as recently in 2005. Through the years, they sound better now than they did back in the day (probably due to technology).

In 2005, went with my son (12 yrs old at the time). He wasn't that excited about going but sure enough he was singing along with the Stones during the concert.

In years past, went with friends who weren't exactly Stones fan and the concert turned them into fans.

If you like rock and roll, it's almost guaranteed you'll love them in concert.

The only concession to old age I see them making is the concerts are now approx. 2 hrs vs. 21/2 or 3 hours.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I steadily saw bands since high school - The Who, Rolling Stones, Springsteen, many, many more but as I hit my 40's I just didn't want to go through the hassle of general admission anymore. My last concert was a U2 concert many years ago and I told my friend, we are sitting in a chair "up there." Was great! (I am a product of Bill Graham Presents and all the wonderful Days on the Green)

Ticket prices are so awful these days that it would take someone huge for me to venture out. At the mo, I would rather spend it on SF Giants baseball tickets and a beer and enjoy the sun.
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can see a lot at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #65

Most posts here seem to be about big groups/venues. When younger I splurged and took my wife to an Eagles concert--out of town, big venue, big $$$ (for us at that time). Along the way we picked up one of those papers that listed all the local nightclubs and who was playing. We went to a smaller place and got to see Martina McBride about 50' from the stage with a small crowd of about 200. Much less expensive and more relaxed. The Eagles were a disappointment by comparison. Since then we have sought out smaller shows. For years the local Presbyterian church had a monthly show that brought in regional and local singers to a room that seated maybe 50 people and you could buy cake/pie/cookies and coffee/tea/cider. Had a room for the little ones which was great for that stage in our lives. At least one person came thru and now has some songs getting national airtime. I miss it now. I keep looking for similar programs.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
... Along the way we picked up one of those papers that listed all the local nightclubs and who was playing. We went to a smaller place and got to see Martina McBride about 50' from the stage with a small crowd of about 200. Much less expensive and more relaxed. The Eagles were a disappointment by comparison. Since then we have sought out smaller shows. ....
This came up on the last thread of this nature. I think a lot of people posting here agree with you--it's just that they know others will recognize the names from the big shows, and not so much the small ones! (We love living near Nashville for this reason; lots of small venues that range far beyond the stereotyped country genre. One of the things that we look forward to, in 2017 or so, is having free nights to enjoy more than 3-5 of them a year.)
Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #67

OP here..Since some are posting about seeing lesser know musicians and acts, this is OT, but is an interesting article from Texas Monthly magazine about being a musician in Austin.

Eight things we've learned about the Austin music scene

here's the opening paragraphs:
Being an Austin musician carries cachet well outside of the city’s borders. In years past, kids with a guitar and a dream have come to the capital from all over—from West Texas, or the Valley, or Fayetteville, Arkansas. Maybe they saw the abundant venues and enthusiastic audiences during a spring-break trip to SXSW and wanted that to be their life. Or perhaps a musically inclined buddy beckoned them to the big city. But the reality of the much romanticized lifestyle—and whether its economically feasible for most folks—has been difficult to assess since there’s so little hard data.

To that end, the City of Austin Music Office commissioned the Titan Music Group to conduct a survey of the stakeholders in the Austin music industry. They spoke to nearly 4,000 musicians, venue owners and managers, sound engineers, and more to learn what the current reality is like for those in the music industry. The numbers are often depressing—the money in Austin music is garbage, y’all—but also illuminating. Here are eight things we learned after poring through the 228-page document.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
OP here..Since some are posting about seeing lesser know musicians and acts, this is OT, but is an interesting article from Texas Monthly magazine about being a musician in Austin.

Interesting. Most of that would apply to Nashville as well. I'm guessing more balance of M/F musicians here, and obviously more C/W influence, but the rest seems much the same. (We've actually had musicians from bands that we've purchased music from as our waiter/waitress a couple of times....)

Sort of like the stories about every waiter/waitress in LA or NY is an actor...
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and I thoroughly enjoy concerts. We go to a pretty big music venue that is an outdoor pavilion outside of Houston. In the past year or so we have seen Joe Cocker, The Doobie Brothers, Huey Lewis and the news, Steve Miller Band, Journey, Tower of Power, and Lionel Ritchie. We have a weekend planned in July to stay at a resort by the pavilion to see Earth Wind & Fire and Chicago. They share the stage. It's one of the best concerts I have seen in the past.
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
This came up on the last thread of this nature. I think a lot of people posting here agree with you--it's just that they know others will recognize the names from the big shows, and not so much the small ones! (We love living near Nashville for this reason; lots of small venues that range far beyond the stereotyped country genre. One of the things that we look forward to, in 2017 or so, is having free nights to enjoy more than 3-5 of them a year.)
Nashville is a great city for small venue shows. I saw a wonderful performance of Joan Baez in a coffeehouse there, much more enjoyable than seeing her perform in a theater in NY.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #71

would like to see Roger and Pete one more time..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg horton-hears-the-who.jpeg (139.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Interesting. Most of that would apply to Nashville as well. I'm guessing more balance of M/F musicians here, and obviously more C/W influence, but the rest seems much the same. (We've actually had musicians from bands that we've purchased music from as our waiter/waitress a couple of times....)

Sort of like the stories about every waiter/waitress in LA or NY is an actor...
Supply and demand. Lots of people want to be musicians! Think how many people do it for free. Similar to small theatre groups. We often enjoy going to university stage performances.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #73
Administrator

Near the top of my bucket list is spending an entire summer going to music festivals and camping. There are thousands of small bluegrass, folks and acoustic music festivals across the US and canada each year that are held in lovely locations - parks, farms, etc, and camping either in a tent or RV is the norm. Festivals are usually three days (long weekend) but campers often arrive a day or two early and leave the day after using mid week to travel to the next event.

I've played at a lot of these events (am a musician) over the years but would love to spend April - October exploring the country with these events as the weekend destination.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #74

DW and I saw Charlie Daniels in a concert in a Pittsburgh suburban theatre back in the early '80's after hearing an advertisement on radio as we passed through the city on the interstate. Sat 4 rows back, and enjoyed seeing him then for the 4th time.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #75

Off to see Mick and the boys tonight in Big D. Based on previous shows (Dallas is their 4th of the tour), the set list will most likely be
1 Jumpin' Jack Flash 

2 It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) 

3 All Down the Line 

4 Tumbling Dice 

5 Doom and Gloom 

6 Bitch 
(with Gary Clark, Jr.)
7 Moonlight Mile 

8 Can't You Hear Me Knocking 

9 Street Fighting Man 
(by request)
10 Honky Tonk Women 
(followed by band introductions)
11 Slipping Away 
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
12 Before They Make Me Run 
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
13 Midnight Rambler 

14 Miss You 

15 Gimme Shelter 

16 Start Me Up 

17 Sympathy for the Devil 

18 Brown Sugar 

19 Encore:
20 You Can't Always Get What You Want 
(with the Members of the Bob Cole Conservatory Choir)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

gonna be great... esp since my ticket was a freebie from a friend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (10.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post

here's the opening paragraphs:

Being an Austin musician carries cachet well outside of the city’s borders. In years past, kids with a guitar and a dream have come to the capital from all over—from West Texas, or the Valley, or Fayetteville, Arkansas. Maybe they saw the abundant venues and enthusiastic audiences during a spring-break trip to SXSW and wanted that to be their life. Or perhaps a musically inclined buddy beckoned them to the big city. But the reality of the much romanticized lifestyle—and whether its economically feasible for most folks—has been difficult to assess since there’s so little hard data.

To that end, the City of Austin Music Office commissioned the Titan Music Group to conduct a survey of the stakeholders in the Austin music industry. They spoke to nearly 4,000 musicians, venue owners and managers, sound engineers, and more to learn what the current reality is like for those in the music industry. The numbers are often depressing—the money in Austin music is garbage, y’all—but also illuminating. Here are eight things we learned after poring through the 228-page document.

Living in Austin the past 5 years I have met many who came here to be musicians but ended up as nurses, carpenters, etc. it is not a way to make a living. This is true in music in any city. Only a few really make it big and the money is made on touring. The recording industry is shot with all the free online music.

I guess I am an old curmudgeon!! I'm not excited by a lot of the young Austin musicians - many sound alike to me and some, like everywhere, are just not very good. Not a big outdoor venue fan because of mosquitoes.

However going to some free or cheaper concerts here we have discovered some local gems and we support them when they play in town: The Carper Family, Jeff Lofton (one of the best jazz musicians ever), Oliver Rajamani. Maybe someday they will make it big. Also just walking along in Myrtle Beach there was a free concert by the Delta Saints and these guys are channeling old blues/rock music. They are great.

I have been to ACL and the Moody Theatre a few times, seen Return to Forever and Zappa on Zappa and a few other headliners there. There is excellent local classical music and a thriving early music scene in Austin and it doesn't break the bank to go to a concert.

Before leaving NYC my friend invited me to Bob Dylan at Madison Square Garden for free! Nice to do that once.

I admit I am spoiled. In my youth I saw Janis Joplin, The Doors, Santana, Cream, Laura Nyro, etc., went to Woodstock, hung out at the Fillmore East which was in the neighborhood of my undergrad and grad school, NYU. Those memories have lasted a lifetime.

So this reminds me, I should look at who is playing here in Austin this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Look at you, Michael, checking out Old Crow. Nice! That'll be a good show!
It was a great show, and a good opportunity for DW to hear some music she's not familiar with, both Old Crow Medicine Show and Brandi Carlile.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I was just reminded of the anniversary, 7/28/1973, of the Summer Jam at Watkins Glen NY. That was before DW and I dated she was there with a girlfriend, only 599,998 more showed up.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #79

Getting back to the OP: You'd probably enjoy the Chicago Blues Festival. Great weekend of music in Chicago's lakefront Grant Park.

The Big Top Chautauqua in Bayfield, Wis., is an interesting venue a stone's throw from Lake Superior. They broadcast some of their concerts on National Public Radio.

Another Wisconsin venue that's kind of under the radar: the Stoughton Opera House in Stoughton, Wis., a great stage for singer/songwriters. Iris DeMent appears pretty much annually, as does Sarah Jarosz. They also get their share of world music like Ladysmith Black Mambazo and the Asian throat-singing group Huun-Huur-tu. Bring a seat cushion -- the 1910-era restored opera house has wooden seats designed for hardened 1910-era butts!

Hippie Jack's in Crawford, Tenn., is one stop I'd like to make sometime. Looks like Jack gets some pretty good musicians down there.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Iris Dement at Kuckleheads, Gillian Welch at the Folly, Willie Watson in a small venue in greater St Lou.

We pretty much stick to the smaller joints in our 'old age' except for a few things like The Flint Hills open air with Lyle Lovett and Kansas City Symphony fundraiser.

heh heh heh - we skipped the Rolling Stones when they came to town recently.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote