Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Be careful managing assets, accounts, money, over the internet on wireless
Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 AM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy
It is amazing that Fidelity still only requires the minimum for signing on : userid and password. When are they going to start catching up with better security ?
Schwab is the same. A few days ago I sent them an e-mail asking them to implement better security. Many banks do better now and require more than just a user id and password.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari
I arrived there on 30 May 1975, got formed into A Company, Platoon 157.

Then after a total of 4 weeks at MRP I got put in Platoon 172 for the rest of 2nd phase. When Platoon 172 went to the rifle range (which I had already done) they put me ahead to Platoon 160 to do 3rd phase. I graduated with Platoon 160 on 12 September 1975. By the way, you have probably guessed that I'm pretty good with dates! Smiley I think that for the couple of weeks or so I was with Platoon 172 we were probably in the same series. Small world!!!
Yes indeed, a small world. I remember the rifle range well. I left PI in early Oct. Went home for a week, then on to NAS Millington in Tennessee for training. I was an air winger. On from there to MCAS New River (Camp Lejeune) in Jax NC. Two med floats (USS GUAM) and home after 4 years.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy
It is amazing that Fidelity still only requires the minimum for signing on : userid and password. When are they going to start catching up with better security ?

Security is advancing for authentication.

Here is a good link that describes it.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Courses/cs...uthPeople.html

Some financial institutions are moving to two-factor authentication. Something you know (password) and Something you have (an authentication mechanism)... they are implemented in a variety of ways. But typically in the more secure mechanisms there is a randomly generated security token.

http://www.tech-faq.com/two-factor-authentication.shtml

Two factor can be implemented in a number of ways...

Here is a link to RSA's solution.

http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=1156

I think some companies also allow you implement a security measure that requires a known third-party to verify your signature (your bank for example) before they will release funds.

The RSA two factor will increase security substantially. But there is a cost to implementing it. Plus you would need to carry the key fob around.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco

The RSA two factor will increase security substantially. But there is a cost to implementing it. Plus you would need to carry the key fob around.

our company uses the token that is shaped like a credit card. It fits in the wallet just like any other card which makes it very handy
Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
our company uses the token that is shaped like a credit card. It fits in the wallet just like any other card which makes it very handy
Yes. I have seen several credit card style implementations. Some automatically generate a random large number that is the key. Others are just a plastic card with something that you need to interpret (not electronically generated). Some of the keys are a usb implementation that you plug into your computer.

I like the key generation model. I should be able to use that with a voice call also.

The problem is if you wind up with several of these devices. It could get cumbersome to keep up with.... The solution generates a new problem.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
Yes indeed, a small world. I remember the rifle range well. I left PI in early Oct. Went home for a week, then on to NAS Millington in Tennessee for training. I was an air winger. On from there to MCAS New River (Camp Lejeune) in Jax NC. Two med floats (USS GUAM) and home after 4 years.
Well, the world is getting even smaller. After I left Parris Island, I also, got a week off and went home. Then I went to NAS Millington too. We were there at the same time. I was in MATSG-90, MATSS-901. I was there longer than you though because I stayed at NAS Millington until May 1978.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari
Well, the world is getting even smaller. After I left Parris Island, I also, got a week off and went home. Then I went to NAS Millington too. We were there at the same time. I was in MATSG-90, MATSS-901. I was there longer than you though because I stayed at NAS Millington until May 1978.
I originally was slated to be a tin bender on airframes. When I arrived at NAS Millington and was being processed for school... I was informed that I did fairly well on the math portion of a test and they needed some people to qualify for Navigator school in NAS Corpus Christi. I thought that sounded kinda interesting so I said OK. I waited around for several months... there were some delays. I got impatient and talked to the Gunny. He indicated that there were some opening in Avionics school. I went to Naval AE school. I was an avionic technician. I was in Millington for about 8 months total... about three or four of those months were just waiting around. Then on to New River to HMM264.... Worked on Boeing CH46F and E model helicopter. Those things are still being used. I see them moving troops and equipment around in Iraq on the news.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=19

Nice little handheld device that can be carried into a coffee shop and raid all the wifi enabled devices within range...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #49

As the information security guy (until June 1) of a large corporation, I'll suggest that most of these announcements are BS.

Many times, cosultants have told me how their guys will break in to our networks (we do pn-testing). Whenever I suggest no results, no fee, they run like a CFB.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
As the information security guy (until June 1) of a large corporation, I'll suggest that most of these announcements are BS.
Not sure of which announcements you are referring (as BS). The post from Bunny about the hand held is a fact. Those devices exist...

There are many possible ways (exploits) to pen a corporate network. If a company has a very active/pro-active security program... they might have things in good shape (today). But as new implementations occur (new technology or new implementations of existing technology), improper implementations and/or inherent flaws in the technology open up cracks in the defense in depth security implementation (if it exists).

Quote:
Many times, cosultants have told me how their guys will break in to our networks (we do pn-testing). Whenever I suggest no results, no fee, they run like a CFB.
Your statement, while a clever quip, is faulty in logic. Of course they would not do it free. As you should know, external security companies do pen tests to verify (audit) that people have implemented (are using) technology properly and/or implementation drift has not opened up holes. Their work is the validation. No company is going to checkout your corporate implementation for free.

-------------------------------------

This is a very real problem... not BS.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja
Dude, that doesn't matter. I said I would attempt to directly access https://www.fidelity.com
They can point that to any IP address they want, but they (given no compromise of fidelity's key, or one of the root CAs) can't present a certificate that my browser will accept without presenting a warning.
BTW, vanguard has a customize login page (you select a picture and add a
caption) so that you know for sure that you are going to vanguard.com not
trojan site.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
they run like a CFB.
Hey, this bunny doesnt run!

Did you mean "cFp"?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote