Join Early Retirement Today

Bed linens and other department store ripoffs
Old 07-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why is it that whenever I go to a department store like Macy's, they try to convince me that a basic set of bed sheets should cost $200, and that's a steal because the retail price is $400. Same for a simple comforter cover - easily $200-$300 on sale.

I got tired of paying these ridiculous prices and began ordering sheets and covers from Amazon. I bought a dozen pillowcases for $24.00, and a queen sheet set for $22.00. They are just as comfortable as the Macy's stuff for literally 10% of the price.

Who are these people that still go to Macy's and buy $200 bed sheets and why?

DH is still convinced that there must be something wrong with the Amazon sheets because they are so inexpensive, but we've had some sets for years now and they have held up great. Now I just don't tell him what they cost any more and he doesn't notice the difference.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

I have a nephew that sticks everything in a Bloomingdale's Big Brown Bag.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Who are these people that still go to Macy's and buy $200 bed sheets and why?
They have to do it while they still can. Macy's isn't likely to be around for much longer IMHO.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
They have to do it while they still can. Macy's isn't likely to be around for much longer IMHO.
hahahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I have a nephew that sticks everything in a Bloomingdale's Big Brown Bag.
Is he planning to retire early?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Is he planning to retire early?
He works for my sister(her son)and brother in law(the ones I like). I believe if it was up to him , he would retire yesterday and let my brother in law work till the day he died. Hahaha, I love that kid. He is the one, that heard me cry about maybe one day getting maple syrup, he sent over 3 types a few days later,(along with Belgium waffles flown in from Belgium..
Old 07-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why is it that whenever I go to a department store like Macy's, they try to convince me that a basic set of bed sheets should cost $200, and that's a steal because the retail price is $400. Same for a simple comforter cover - easily $200-$300 on sale.

I got tired of paying these ridiculous prices ... .
Everyone who sells a product tries to convince you to buy theirs. Is this something you only just became aware of?

No one really 'needs' a high end watch, or designer shoes, or a car that goes 0-60 in a handful of seconds. Some people/companies make their money selling high end goods. Some make their money by trying to give you the best value, or the cheapest (which sometimes is a poor value).

The choice is yours. At any rate, I like choices, I don't buy high end bed sheets, but I'm glad someone does in case some day I want some. Maybe I could tell the difference?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

Reference for those Amazon sheets? Time to replace the ones from Target's clearance shelves....
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #9

If you buy sheets on Amazon for less than $50 or so read extra careful....they are not cotton even when the name says cotton.
That said, their microfiber sheets aren't bad, but your not going to think you're sleeping on good cotton sheets.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

My complaint about brick and mortar is that they don't know what they have in inventory. With grocery store, DW wanted some type of pretzel product. I searched that aisle. Could not find it. Asked a cashier who had no idea. She called an employee who got a manager. The manager had to search the aisle also. He did not know, nor could he look it up. Similar situation with finding an item in my local auto parts store and in my local home store. In those last two, the parts were found but only with wandering the aisles with an employee. Could have found it all from my home PC. And had it delivered in 2 days!
Z3Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife has been buying a brand of sheets at Target that have a very deep pockets in the fitted sheets, and she says they're very well priced. Luxury sheets for Target prices. She bought a couple of sets the other day online.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
If you buy sheets on Amazon for less than $50 or so read extra careful....they are not cotton even when the name says cotton.
That said, their microfiber sheets aren't bad, but your not going to think you're sleeping on good cotton sheets.
My Mother always told me growing up that refined homes only use cotton sheets on the bed. She wouldn't be caught dead sleeping on "polyester". So I dutifully bought cotton sheets throughout adulthood. When Costco began selling the 600 thread count sheets for around $60 I was very pleased, as that was far cheaper than any department store options.

It was only after we got an adjustable bed and I needed "Split CA King" sheets that I had to go to Amazon to find them. They had a microfiber set, which sounded like polyester to me, but I needed something so I ordered them. To my surprise, they were softer and more luxurious feeling than the cotton ones I'd been sleeping on all these years. And, they don't wrinkle nearly as much.

I'd go back to work full time before I spent my day ironing cotton sheets, so I just accepted that I was always going to have a wrinkled looking bed. So when the microfiber sheets showed up and came out wrinkle free from the dryer I was pleasantly surprised.

Now several years later, I will only sleep on microfiber. I just piled up all the 600 thread count sheets in the house and bagged them for goodwill. Microfiber sheets today are awesome, and nothing like the polyester stuff my Mother warned me about 30 years ago.

Which is really what prompted me to start this thread. If you put the microfiber and cotton side by side and didn't tell me what each cost, I would have assumed the microfiber would cost more because they are softer and nicer to touch. So why do people keep buying the old cotton sheets and paying 10X the price?

I think it's likely that they have the same memories of the cheap polyester stuff from decades ago and just haven't gotten around to trying the stuff on Amazon.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Reference for those Amazon sheets? Time to replace the ones from Target's clearance shelves....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$23.00, and far nicer than my 600 thread count cotton sheets.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #14

Ironing cotton sheets? Who would do that? My husband just washes them and fold them.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Ironing cotton sheets? Who would do that? My husband just washes them and fold them.

Since I've retired I've ironed one shirt.
I never iron sheets. Who sees them? My grandmother used to iron hers, but her day job was running the steam press in a dry cleaners. Professional Pride I guess.

My new summer sheets are nice microfiber but I prefer cotton, but couldn't find a reasonable priced set at TJMax or Marshalls. JC Penny closed at the local mall[emoji24][emoji35]
Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had good luck finding quality/comfy sheets at stores like TJ Max and Ross. Although I never looked on Amazon for sheets. I will check out what they have next time I need a new set.

If I ever iron my sheets, call my doctor. There must be something terribly wrong with me.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #17

One of my jobs as a kid was holding the sheets on the ironing board so they wouldnt hit the floor as mom ironed them. I also remember mom putting military creases in my work shirts with spray starch(6 pleats). The bride solved that issue by taking them to the dry cleaner and they sewed them in hahahaha.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #18

Microfiber is polyester. No thanks! Guess it's back to the clearance end caps at Target.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #19

My husband takes his shirts in for dry cleaning. I think they iron his shirts there. I haven't iron anything for years. I buy stuff that I can wash, dry, and hang up. Simplicity is my vice.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
My husband takes his shirts in for dry cleaning. I think they iron his shirts there. I haven't iron anything for years. I buy stuff that I can wash, dry, and hang up. Simplicity is my vice.
I knew a guy at work who would roll up his shirt as soon as he took it out of the dryer, not in a ball, but like a loaf of Italian bread. It never had any wrinkles. Mine were pressed, starched, sewn in pleats and would have a wrinkle before I stood roll call.