Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Durn Gumby...I am surprised the bee bug hasn't hit you and you want a hive or two. I'm sure your neighbor would help you along. Then, if either of you went somewhere on a trip or whatever, the other person would cover. No problem really.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in a cookie cutter subdivision. Since most of the bee keepers I've seen put their hives on the edge of a massive field, I figure bees are off the table for me, at least until I move. But when I mentioned that to the DW, she asked me where the bees live in the wild, and how to find their hive. I have no clue. When our bushes bloom, they're covered, and I mean covered with honey bees (walking past, you hear a low hum of all of the wings buzzing). I wondered if there was a local beekeeper of if these were wild bees.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
she asked me where the bees live in the wild, and how to find their hive.
The apian version of GPS = B(ee)PS.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
But when I mentioned that to the DW, she asked me where the bees live in the wild, and how to find their hive. I have no clue.
Wild bees find places in the hollow parts of trees, or any place there could be shelter, such as in a building wall. I would imagine someone around you must have some bees if you have a lot in your yard. Or maybe there's a wild nest nearby. Sometimes you can get a direction from the bees coming and going to get an idea of where the hive may be.

How they use their B(ee)PS, I don't know. Maybe the sun's position has something to do with it. Or maybe the earth's magnetic compass? They do have a communication dance at the hive to tell the other workers where the good stuff is...It's amazing!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #25

And a few pics of our first hive install...
Old 03-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #26

More pics...
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #27

The last...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First bee hive install 3-23-2014 (33).JPG (78.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #28

So cool!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice! Yes, DH is planning on beekeeping. Because we'll be knee deep in home remodeling and getting the yard in better shape for months to come, we won't be starting this year. I expect he will get them next year, though. I'm showing him this thread, and we'll be following closely and learning all we can.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #30

Chris...Plan ahead and get your beekeeping stuff in the winter. I suggest that beginner's kit from Dadant, that I linked to. It has all you need to get started, except the bees. Then, join your local bee club. You will meet the other beekeepers and people just like you. These bee clubs offer classes and advise. I bought my bees through my local bee club at a reduced price as compared to ordering them from bee catalogs. You will need to place your orders early...like the January time frame. Everything is set in place for the year by what you do and order in the late winter or early spring. Bees need time to make their colonies and grow. Starting late does not let the colony expand enough before the next winter comes. First year, not much honey for you. Second year, I think you will have a good plan and adding more hives as well as dividing strong hives to make two hives. And away you go! Ain't life Great!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info, Red (or maybe Dave)! I just went through this whole thread with DH. Thanks for the helpful information. Keep the pics coming. Hopefully, we'll post some pics of our own next year. We may have lots of questions then, too.

BTW - beautiful helper, there. I had a GSD when I was 5. I'm a big fan of Shepards. My current helpers are a 13 yo Belgian Sheepdog (similar to GSD), and a recently picked up adolescent Lab.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #32

Yup...I'm just Dave.

Around three days after installing the bees, you need to check them to see if the queen has been released from the little cage she was in. The bees eat a little candy plug away to release her. She needs to be in a cage so she won't get lost in the shuffle and the bees have time to accept her. All the bees come from various other hives and thrown in together with a queen from somewhere else to make up the package. And they all accept each other since it's either that or die.

So on Wednesday a good friend and I, (with our puppies), went to check on them. And it was a beautiful day to get out, anyways. It was cool and so I worked fast...just enough to check, get the queen cage out, add more sugar water, and close them up again. The bees had released the queen! The bees were in a cluster and I hated to disturb them but I needed to know. I discovered that bees do not like shepherds. I had to move the truck away and put Pal in it. They just ignored Tippy, I think because she is smaller and light colored. I also think Eddie is raising burrowing mice at his farm, (besides his pet wild rattlesnakes), over there...since Tippy spent all her time snooping them out...Eddie had burned his field a couple weeks earlier to control the sandspurs and I guess the mouse holes were more inviting to Tippy. And shepherds are the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Checking queen cage 3-26-2014 (2).JPG (95.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Bees 3-26-14 (2).JPG (79.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Checking queen cage 3-26-2014 (5).JPG (98.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #33

And I just had to add this thread from one of the beekeeping forums I frequent...
Ain't kids great? She has some real talent!
What happens when you ask your 11 year old daughter to "paint" hive bodies
Old 03-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
And I just had to add this thread from one of the beekeeping forums I frequent...
Ain't kids great? She has some real talent!
What happens when you ask your 11 year old daughter to "paint" hive bodies
Love the artwork! Looks like she had a great time. Makes me think I'll have my young nieces help paint ours when we're ready.

Had to join the forum to see the pictures, but since we plan to get bees, seemed a reasonable thing to do.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #35

Chris and the others...I did not realize that you had to join to see the pictures. Well, if you are interested in bees anyways it's worth joining and learning just like these forums.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #36

Last week my friend realized she was growing a few hives each as big as a persons head in her hot water heater enclave. A beekeeping community was contacted and they sent out a guy with a "bee vacuum" who safely removed them.

A couple years ago another nearby house had to have one removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120410_120736 beehive.jpg (384.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

How does someone get into Bee Keeping! I live out of town and could easily put in a small colony in our backyard. Bees are very important and great for pollinating our huge garden!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #38

Hi Charles...This should give you some leads for up around your way. Something I did not know...North Dakota is the #1 honey producing state in the nation!

North Dakota Beekeepers Association | North Dakota Department of Agriculture

Apiary Program (Honey Bees) | North Dakota Department of Agriculture
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been taking a couple classes at the local botanic garden run by a master beekeeper. You could try your local ag extension or see if there is a local beekeeping club.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #40

More bees are coming that are ordered and we are waiting. One nuc, (like a package of bees but with some frames of brood and honey), is coming in this Saturday and a couple more a week or so after that.

Hey Brewer that's great! Have you gotten any gear and hive equipment, yet? Are you going to have hives this year? If you do...get two hives because if one has problems, you will have a backup to work from. I have ordered a lot of my stuff from Mann Lake...free shipping over $100.
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/

Hey DCharles...I retired two weeks after you did. I went on Jan 11. I can't believe it's been about 4 months! The time has flown by. I am so relaxed and happy. The closest way of describing my feelings is it's kinda like being in love again. Happy all the time.

Tags
beekeeping