Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
That's great Khan. Show us a pic or two when you get them. Also...two hives are better than one, since you have another to compare to and you can draw resources from a strong hive to the weaker hive to make them both thrive.
I'll try.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
No idea what variety.
They are small and gentle and are busy surveying the area. Have put out a sand/water dish.
Possibly Italians, which is what I keep in the backyard.

If you can, put a feeder on the hive to help them get established.

Fun to watch, aren't they?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Possibly Italians, which is what I keep in the backyard.

If you can, put a feeder on the hive to help them get established.

Fun to watch, aren't they?
Probably will put out feeder.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

? How do the workers decide when to make queen cells ? Can they somehow detect the queen is not producing well? or do they just make some from time to time anyway ?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

If the queen is dead or flagging, the workers figure it out and create one or new queens. If they feel crowded and need to swarm, they create new queens.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I currently have a very large bee living under my walkway, he goes in and out via a hole, which I thought was a mouse hole at first.
Sunset, Sounds like a cicada wasp. Usually not aggressive but they are big and scary looking. Females can sting and males can't. They kill cicadas and stuff them in their nests to feed the next generation.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

This may be an interesting read for you bee keeping folks...National Strategy to Promote the Health of Honey Bees and Other Pollinators, just released today.
No political statement intended, just information.

The story....

White House will unveil strategy to protect honeybee habitat - The Washington Post

The actual document...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...h-of-honey.pdf
Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Bees are returning with pollen as of this morning.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Bees are returning with pollen as of this morning.
Pollen is a very good sign. That means that the queen is laying and the worker bees are collecting pollen to get ready to feed the larvae and brood. Pollen is the protein the brood needs to develop. I always look to see bees with pollen when checking hives.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Pollen is a very good sign. That means that the queen is laying and the worker bees are collecting pollen to get ready to feed the larvae and brood. Pollen is the protein the brood needs to develop. I always look to see bees with pollen when checking hives.
Black mangrove is starting to blossom.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #151

Kahn...Once you get plugged into bees, your view of the out of doors will forever change. You will be looking at flowers and plants in a different light and your ears will be tuned into all the different buzzings you never were aware of before.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #152

Question on bee-havior of bees (bad pun intended).

I have a backyard garden - lots of flowers and flowering plants - love the bees.

The bees absolutely love the green onion bulbous flower tops - in fact they will bury themselves for long periods of time.

For the last several days, the weather has been quite cool in the evenings and I've noticed one or two bees will stay very late feeding until it gets down right chilly to the point they seem 'frozen' for the night.

I thought for sure they died - too cold to move and done for.

Yet, the next morning after the sun comes up and hits the flowers they will start to move and go on about their business.

Has any one else noticed this? I thought it was down right fascinating!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Question on bee-havior of bees (bad pun intended).

I have a backyard garden - lots of flowers and flowering plants - love the bees.

The bees absolutely love the green onion bulbous flower tops - in fact they will bury themselves for long periods of time.

For the last several days, the weather has been quite cool in the evenings and I've noticed one or two bees will stay very late feeding until it gets down right chilly to the point they seem 'frozen' for the night.

I thought for sure they died - too cold to move and done for.

Yet, the next morning after the sun comes up and hits the flowers they will start to move and go on about their business.

Has any one else noticed this? I thought it was down right fascinating!
Some bees are forced to spend the night away from the hive. Maybe a storm comes through around sunset, or it just gets cold. What you described is fairly normal. They hunker down and wait it out. It's all pretty amazing when you realize those little guys often fly out three or more miles one way to find nectar or pollen. Even more amazing when you consider all the things that could happen to them during the day. Maybe getting eaten by a bird, pesticides, or storms for example. Bees get active when it hits around 50 degrees.

Tags
beekeeping