Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Been thinking lately
Old 07-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Well it is disconcerting to think that 50 years ago, when I was born, the world population was 2.8 billion and now it is 6 billion.
That is disconcerting. 6 billion people, and Nords & I are having problems finding a good
reliable small contractor.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This of course is a good thing.

Skipping the scarcity of fix-it persons - page 18 of Bernstein's Birth of Plenty - has a per capita GDP chart thru the ages - crudely similar in shape to pop growth. He has about 386 pages explaining - in his own way - why this may not be such a bad thing.

Club of Rome be dammed.

Capitilism uber alles. Today America - tomorrow: Walmart, Coke, credit cards and Mickey D for all.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh - that's five!

Old 07-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Skipping the scarcity of fix-it persons - page 18 of Bernstein's Birth of Plenty - has a per capita GDP chart thru the ages - crudely similar in shape to pop growth.
But the population growth of the developed world is slowing down. I'm not sure the people of developing nations, where all the growth is, are going to be buying a lot of Big Macs.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
This of course is a good thing.

Skipping the scarcity of fix-it persons - page 18 of Bernstein's Birth of Plenty - has a per capita GDP chart thru the ages - crudely similar in shape to pop growth. He has about 386 pages explaining - in his own way - why this may not be such a bad thing.

Club of Rome be dammed.

Capitilism uber alles. Today America - tomorrow: Walmart, Coke, credit cards and Mickey D for all.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh - that's five!
Well oddly enough, that is one of the thoughts Friedmann advances in "The World is Flat".* Send those loser call center jobs to India cause there they are creating a well to do young middle class of gigantic proportion.* Many of these newly minted middle classites at one time wanted to go to the USA due to the lack of opportunity in the homeland. Ah, but no more, riches are here at home. But alas, no stuff to buy with new riches.* Hello USA, can you hear the opportunity?

BTW unclemick, you really are Alan Greenspan aren't you?*
Old 07-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Nope - easy Al takes himself serious.

I've never seen - heh, heh, heh, in any of his speeches.

Could have missed it though.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #46

Came across this article link on another board:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...805.DTL&nl=fix
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Been thinking lately about life, especially life after FIRE.* More specifically, I have been thinking about what I really want out of life and what is really important. "

I wanted to bring up the volunteer idea once again. -- For the first couple of years after I retired, I felt the "worthy cause that I wanted to donate to" was me (!). I had just finished 15 years of working 60-80 hours a week, and I needed to decompress and discover myself again. Hence, my travel, reading and doing artwork.

However, I am an industrious sort, and enthusiastic by nature, so before I knew it, I was volunteering to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) in Mexico, and helping local businesses make a post and note card business. My husband, Billy, is an amazing volunteer, and logs in countless hours. He coached a women's basketball team to the finals when we lived in Mexico, arranged for and imported an electronic scoreboard for the Chapala, Mexico gym, and raised thousands of $$ to build new tennis courts for the city of Chapala, and this was just in the first few years of retirement!

Everyone is different.

I definitely agree with the guy who talked about driving his elderly neighbor places that she needed to go, and I value that contribution to the world deeply. Personally? I'd love to find the cure for some dreaded disease just for humanity's sake, but I might have to settle for being an authentic friend who takes time to listen to and care for those who need it in my personal life. -- that's a form of volunteering or giving back.

And you know?* I'll drink to that!

The best to you all ways,
Akaisha
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 07-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
But I could not realistically be open about me being personally agnostic where i live, to my workmates and to most of my immediate and extended family (i have told my wife).* I am confident i would be both excommuniated in various ways, and discriminated against in the workplace.* This is to say nothing of the prayer groups that would probably start so that my soul might be saved.
Any of you folks considering cashing out an overpriced house in San Francisco or Greenwich, or maybe a condo in SoHo, and moving to a cheaper area in the "Sunbelt"? If so, maybe you should frame this post of Azanon, and hang it on the wall in your bathroom where you will see it every day.

A lot of people who left places like Arkansas wouldn't go back even at gunpoint. Wait till you high falutin' Yankee atheist commies get there. The only thing blue you will encounter is your wife, when it hits her what you have done to her life.

And I bet y’all thought Deliverance was just a movie!

ha
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Any of you folks considering cashing out an overpriced house in San Francisco or Greenwich, or maybe a condo in SoHo, and moving to a cheaper area in the "Sunbelt"? If so, maybe you should frame this post of Azanon, and hang it on the wall in your bathroom where you will see it every day.

A lot of people who left places like Arkansas wouldn't go back even at gunpoint. Wait till you high falutin' Yankee atheist commies get there. The only thing blue you will encounter is your wife, when it hits her what you have done to her life.

ha
You raise a very valid point, and one that was touched upon in the thread addressing financial independence or friends.* The population density and property values in less desirable geographical locations is indicative of the fact that less people want to live in those places.* Thus, although the cost of living in such places are much lower than in more desireable geographic locations, the true cost in terms of friends, culture, family, and similar considerations could be much higher than the cost of living savings as compared to living in a more desirable location.* Understandably, the foregoing analysis is one of personal preference, because the factors involved are measurable only by subjective standards.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #50

Exactly.* Much is made here of the fact that financial independence allows you to live in a lower cost of living area.* One of the reasons an area has a low cost of living reflects the quality of, or well-nigh complete lack of job opportunities in the area.* As someone who is financially independent, you are free from this constraint.

However, the other factor that makes an area more affordable is, simply, the fact that few people really want to live there.* Thus the conundrum for those of us who could afford a low cost of living area, but would struggle mightily if we want to stay in our high-priced urban enclaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
The population density and property values in less desirable geographical locations is indicative of the fact that less people want to live in those places.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I TOTALLY understand how you feel azanon. Whenever I go back south to visit (where I grew up) I just have to keep my mouth shut about how I feel about religion. My grandmothers would probably just die on the spot if I didn't agree that everything in the bible was an undeniable fact. Its not that I'm a total non-believer, but I have more doubts than are acceptable (to most people, not all obviously ~ but you can't find them because they won't say it out loud!)

People ask me about why I don't move back and I just say its too hot.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

The same type of "undesirable" living circumstances that make certain locals within the good ole US of A less expensive are also found in low cost of living international locations. You get what you pay for, domestically or internationally. It costs less in Arkansas, there's a reason. It costs less in Panama or Thailand, there's a reason!

youbet
Old 07-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #53

Quote:
But I could not realistically be open about me being personally agnostic where i live, to my workmates and to most of my immediate and extended family (i have told my wife). I am confident i would be both excommuniated in various ways, and discriminated against in the workplace. This is to say nothing of the prayer groups that would probably start so that my soul might be saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

ha
I noticed this statement and had a similar reaction. I grew up in Southern Illinois. While a lot of people don't think of Illinois in this way, the town I grew up in is further South than most of Kentucky. There are no major cities within 100 miles of my old home town. It is Bible Belt rural all the way. The cost of living -- especially housing -- is so low many of you would not believe it. But I would much rather go back to work than have to live my life pretending to be a Christian fundamentalist in order to avoid becoming a social outcast.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
The same type of "undesirable" living circumstances that make certain locals within the good ole US of A less expensive are also found in low cost of living international locations.* You get what you pay for, domestically or internationally.* It costs less in Arkansas, there's a reason.* It costs less in Panama or Thailand, there's a reason!

youbet
For sure. There is guy named Howells who for years put out books on retirement locations. He pretty much covered the world looking for inexpensive places.

I was interested to see that he recently retired in Great Neck, NY.

Ha
Old 07-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #55

That whole religion thing is one reason why chose a large city, no one knows whether or not I attend church or any other gossip that small town Americans thrive on.

After 20 years overseas, watching 400lb individuals with huge grocery bag sized fat food lunches, driving Hummers (hundreds here in Chicago), every 10th car is a stretch limo hauling some self important wannabee thru town, it just sickens me.

Watching the election and that sea of red counties tells a story, fundamentalists are all over this country, not just the South.

My grandmother used to start 75% of her sentences with "You remember that family or gal or guy........ who used to .....? I would say "No, can't say as I do". Notice my response could never be untruthful.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
That is disconcerting.* 6 billion people, and Nords & I are having problems finding a good reliable small contractor. *
You make an important point about career choices.

The service industry may have a lot of profit potential, but we can't bring those Indian call-center employees to America to hang drywall...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You make an important point about career choices.*

The service industry may have a lot of profit potential, but we can't bring those Indian call-center employees to America to hang drywall...
Maybe doesn't fit in Hawaii, but over here you just go to your local Home Depot and look around the parking lot for a Mexican with a truck.

Soon, the second law of demography will see to it that the USA is just as miserable as any third world country that hasn't been quarantined.

Second Law of Demography: At equilibrium, given porous borders, misery will flow from areas of high misery to areas of low misery, until everyplace is equally miserable

Ha
Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Given the cost of construction, how long can it be before we see imported modular homes? (Hmm, a business plan begins to take form....)
Old 07-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #59

HaHa,
In Los Angeles, *there are literally many, many thousands of Mexican day workers on street corners. *Stop your car and they underbid each other to get the job. *I actually have lots of respect for these guys.

They moved my apartment contents in their truck form Redondo Beach to Torrance for $9/hr. *It took three hours for 3 of them and they supplied the truck. *I gave each of me $10 extra so now *$121 total. *I bought them lunch a La Penida for about $20. Total $151

They were happy, on to next job.

Allied quoted me $580 or so. *And couldn't gaurantee a time.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
HaHa,
In Los Angeles, *there are literally many, many thousands of Mexican day workers on street corners. *Stop your car and they underbid each other to get the job. *I actually have lots of respect for these guys.
Please don't confuse my opposition to illegal and otherwise uncontrolled immigration to lack of respect for the workers. I also respect them.

Quote:
They moved my apartment contents in their truck form Redondo Beach to Torrance for $9/hr.
OAP, good price, but I think you moved the wrong direction.*

Ha