Been thinking lately

Haha,

Please re-read the post and try to understand the underlying principles I was trying (briefly) to convey. One of the differences I was trying to highlight was precisely that superficial way in which you have reacted by not considering or commenting on the points raised but throwing in a red-herring that diverts the issue.

No one believes that Bush "caused" the bombings - what I said was that the behaviour of Blair, Bush and friends has heightened the likelihood that events like this will continue to occur. They are not directly to blame, but they haven't helped.

The main issue is not was has happened but what happens now. The UK reaction domestically will be very different from the US, for the reasons I briefly outlined.

Honkie said:
I disagree. The UK is (and Europe generaly) is far more prepared to live and deal with a level of war and terrorism. Remember, the "War on Terror" is a misnomer. It should be the "War on Terror of the type and by people that the US Government has suddenly decided it now doesn't like, after standing idly by for decades whilst it sponsored the terrorists it did like, and turned a blind eye to the fund raising and support of terrorists by it's own government members for the commission of bombings and atrocities abroad"

Yeah, but that doesn't fit on a bumper stick nearly so well! :D

The notable difference in the UK, from my experience, is that the population is generally more level headed and pragmatic. As a group, they do not react in a knee jerk fashion. There will be no "Patriot Act" or the like. There will be no large scale rounding up of "Suspects" for shipment to the Isle of Wight for 3 years. The British, as a people would not stand for it. It goes against their basic views of individualism, freedom and tolerance and generosity.

It's my understanding that there are some areas of British law that reach farther than the Patriot Act, especially in the areas of surveliance, and I also understand that there are cameras just about everywhere in London. There won't be a knee jerk reaction because England already went "Patriot Act" back in the bad old days of the IRA.

You may note, that whilst the individual bombers will be vilified (and rightly so) the larger ethnic group to which they belong will not be. CAVAET: I do not deny that small fringe groups will no doubt target a few Muslim owned businesses, shops or Mosques, but these people wll always do it and the bombing is an excuse rather than the prime reason for their actions.

What I am talking about is the ovewhelming majority of the population are not blaming or targetting Muslims per se. Indeed, I think you will find if you read the British or international media, that more of the resentment, blame and vitriol is being targetted at Blair and particularly the US Administration and Bush. They are felt to be to blame for bringing these unnecessary events back to the streets of the UK and I think you will notice a strong groundswell of unity in the people against these politicians and any and all legislation they try to introduce that curtials, impinges or affects induvidual freedoms etc.

Hmmm, I think it's just small fringe groups in the good 'ol U.S.A. that have targeted Muslims as well, but maybe our fringe groups are worse than England's. As far as Blair being blamed, it seemed everyone rallied around him afterwards, and he did just win another term, in an election that was supposed to be a judgement on his decision to go into Iraq.

Honkie said:
The UK is (and Europe generaly) is far more prepared to live and deal with a level of war and terrorism.
Let's see, the Franco-Prussian war, WWI, WWII, the Berlin Airlift, the Cold War... yeah, I can see why UK/Europe is more prepared to deal with war & terrorism. It's a bit different when your property insurance doesn't cover artillery barrages & firebombing.

Are more of them trying to emigrate to the U.S., or are more Americans trying to emigrate to the UK/Europe?

Nords said:
Let's see, the Franco-Prussian war, WWI, WWII, the Berlin Airlift, the Cold War... yeah, I can see why UK/Europe is more prepared to deal with war & terrorism.

Well, more recently they lived through decades of IRA bombings. I don't want to downplay the deaths, but I think it's true that people do get habituated to this stuff. Think of Israel. And compare the number of people who died from terrorists to deaths from car accidents, yet we still readily hop into our cars each day (still waiting for the Bush administration to tell me it's Code Orange on the 405 today).

Back
Top Bottom