Being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century ( Uber and Lyft)

Would you like to see a thread on using Uber and Lyft without a smartphone ?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't care , I have a Chauffeur

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
I use Uber quite a bit and was an early adopter. I would have a hard time going
back to using traditional cabs. I've had several bad cab experiences, never a
bad ride yet with Uber. A couple observations:

Uber is great for getting my mom (87) transported to appointments even though
I live a 1000 miles away. My mom isn't able to use computer/smart phone but has
no problem calling me when she needs a ride. Dispatching Uber to pick her up and
tracking her progress is easy from a 1000 miles away.

You're giving me ideas for my MIL. She is 87 and still driving. But probably under 1000 miles/year. Insurance is about $100/mo. So i think an Uber might really work for her. I forgot that you can call for someone else. She just got an I pad so maybe she can call her own. And I'll call the return trip

On my current visit to Chicago, I've been a little surprised at how the ride share vendors appear to have taken over the market in a short time - at least in the inner metro area. And it's even cost competitive with public transit if you're willing to do shared rides. Our average trip for two is $5.87 using Lyft shared ride or Via - compared to $4.70 bus and $5.00 on the L. And it picks you up where you are and drops you off where you want to go, at the time you want it, unlike public transit. And you know the cost up front, unlike taxis. We've only shared the ride a couple of times in a week of daily use.

Via also has a weekly pricing pass that makes it even cheaper per ride, up to four rides a day.

I've hardly seen anyone hailing a cab on the street, which not that long ago was the common way to get a ride.

Back
Top Bottom