Best Cities to Retire 2020 - Yes another opinionated list.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This one has estimates of COL and demographics. Some of the Top places are "of course" in Buggy, Hurricane, Sink Hole, Swamp Ridden, Alligator Infested, why the hell would you ever want to live there FLA.? :)

From my experience, it is fairly accurate from a cost perspective, although I think the home prices are pitched as on the low side, unless one is not in a particularly good area. I would double the home price for something decent, for Florida that is.

Really surprised me that JAX was so high on the list at #6.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-retire

Full Disclosure: I got this from the City Data Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
This one has estimated of COL and demographics. Some of the Top places are "of course" are in Buggy, Hurricane, Sink Hole, Swamp Ridden, Alligator Infested, why the hell would you ever want to live there FLA.? :)

And snakes. Two snakes in the span of about 5 minutes crossed my path on a sidewalk across from a pond. One was a little garter snake and one was a big, around 3 ft. ribbon snake. It was beautiful.

Wait - I mean it could have bitten me or strangled me. Stay away from Florida. It's not really paradise.

Was enjoying my coffee out front in a lawn chair this morning and had a 4' black racer slither on by. I generally don't mind snakes but when they suddenly appear at your feet, it can be disconcerting. The dogs just looked at it, unimpressed. Had to shoo it out of the garage where it settled after my launch.

On the plus side, the seafood is superb

This one has estimates of COL and demographics. Some of the Top places are "of course" in Buggy, Hurricane, Sink Hole, Swamp Ridden, Alligator Infested, why the hell would you ever want to live there FLA.? :)

You forgot "Humid", and "Yankee-Infested". :LOL:

I have seen only one little corn snake plus 2 gators in 2 years down here.

My area is #3? HA. Would not recommend... and thus, can't recommend the list.

I read through the top 30 and didn’t see anything I liked, so I quit reading it. I’m having a hard time finding a single best place that meets my criteria.

Let me just say that many places on that list are just so unaffordable in housing costs. Some would be fine--if money wasn't an issue.

Let me just say that many places on that list are just so unaffordable in housing costs. Some would be fine--if money wasn't an issue.

Definitely a matter of opinion. Certainly the Florida locations they mention and the numbers they quote are about as LCOL as we have seen compared to here on the beach in NE Florida. But there again, they really do not get into the details. To us $300k or below is LCOL housing costs. (I wish we had decent homes in nice communities for that low). We are IMHO a MCOL area and decent homes start at ~$400 and up, really more like $500k plus for ~2,500 Sqft. in an area that we would consider living in. Again it is a matter of opinion and perspective.

Personally I put more relevance into the cost of ongoing expenses such as RE Tax, utilities etc., than the housing cost in the first place. I would gladly pay up to $1m for a home as long as the RE Taxes were less than $6k a year. As opposed to $500k and Taxes being $10k a year. Again just MHO.

Last edited:
The article disparages the humidity in Charlotte, but not Augusta. We lived in Martinez (Augusta burb) for 12 years. Been in LKN (north of Charlotte) area for 13 years. The humidity in Augusta is much more severe than Charlotte. Also, Asheville has severe growing pains. We used to visit there, but stopped several years ago. There are much nicer mountain towns without the hassles of Asheville.

Too many FLA places on the list.
We are filled up.

Too many FLA places on the list.
We are filled up.

WE ARE FULL! There ARE other states to move to, ya know. We gonna need a boarder control system pretty soon...…

Move here if you want a "shoulder-to-shoulder" life style. Those of us who have been here a loooong time are getting tired of this. We know we live in paradise, and would love it to stay that way. (as stupid as we know that is...)

Last edited:
Near as I could tell from a quick review of the list there were only one or two places listed on the Western US. This is just great! Stay away from the liberal maniacs out here! Nothing to see move on!

My area is #3? HA. Would not recommend... and thus, can't recommend the list.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying Lancaster is bad. It's overall a pretty nice place, but I am shocked it's number 3 on the list. And I love how they describe it as a bustling city. :LOL: Bustling? lol

Not understanding the healthcare ratings. Look at how most cities in PA have scores way out of range compared to other areas. What gives?

IMO the list has too many of the nation's very largest cities on it. Traffic, crowds, and pollution are OK while wo*king, but when not wo*king, I'm not feeling it.

My adopted area (Raleigh-Durham in the list) comes in at #28. I think the description is decent given the broad nature of the survey. The sub-topic of commuting made me smile because, for people who’ve left the working world, it’s no longer such an issue. I’d hate to have to navigate some roads during rush hour around here.

Like #8 Nashville, my hometown. Their southern suburbs are even far more expensive, but with a very high standard of living.

I read yesterday online where hotel prices there are higher than major cities like Boston even.

We have been house looking, but settled on moving to the Huntsville area where property taxes are extremely low and properties are fairly priced. Hard to imagine any other medium size city booming more economically in the U.S.

any list that has houston in the top 100 has zero credibility imo
+1 (Unless the list is for the rudest, worst traffic, least friendly, etc)

I'd add Austin/San Antonio and Dallas/FT Worth too. Although Houston is the worst, by far.

Last edited:
We have been house looking, but settled on moving to the Huntsville area where property taxes are extremely low and properties are fairly priced. Hard to imagine any other medium size city booming more economically in the U.S.
HUNTSVILLE: Huntsville was #80 and seems like a great place to retire. It was one of our three top choices (Springfield, MO; Fayetteville, AR; and Huntsville, AL). Of those three we settled on Springfield, but then back in early 2011 we decided not to move at all.

SPRINGFIELD: I noticed that Springfield was #105, whereas Detroit was #67 and Chicago was #65. Nothing against the latter two, but when looking for a retirement location we preferred a more laid back, quiet, peaceful place like Springfield. The article said Springfield was downgraded due to health facilities. Really? Two large hospitals, both with level one trauma centers, and with helicopter service from the hospital roof to St. Louis hospitals when needed? To me that seems pretty good for a city of 150K.

NEW ORLEANS: was not even listed.

Back
Top Bottom