Join Early Retirement Today

best city in america
Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

best city in america

So here I am approaching ER, trying to decide where I would like to live after retiring, when lo and behold MONEY mag. decides I am already living in the best city. Now MONEY is not held in the highest esteem on this forum, but it was still quite a surprise they would pick a city up here on the frozen tundra.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #2

There is no one "best city." Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and everyone has their own priorities about which aspects of a particular retirement location (i.e. cost of living, recreational/cultural opportunities, taxes, climate) is most important to them. At best their selection is based on some hypothetical average person, I would assume.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They've obviously never been to Plymouth.

and I question them choosing suburbs. If someone came over here for the best small city in America and wound up in Plymouth or Chaska, I think they'd want a refund.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
So here I am approaching ER, trying to decide where I would like to live after retiring, when lo and behold MONEY mag. decides I am already living in the best city. Now MONEY is not held in the highest esteem on this forum, but it was still quite a surprise they would pick a city up here on the frozen tundra.
Sorry to be the dummy here - where are you?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

According to his profile and the information under his avatar, Minneapolis...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
According to his profile and the information under his avatar, Minneapolis...
Thanks....a mind is a terrible thing to waste....uhhh....too late.....
Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, my mind must be going, hopefully not too late. As marquette pointed out, the city is Plymouth, MN. Yes ziggy, there is no one best city. I agree. Although if it wasn't so *&!! cold here in the winter I wouldn't be looking to move. As far as living in the suburbs, it depends on what you're looking for. Open spaces yet close enough to a metro. area and university. It could be worse.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #8

Oh, don't get me wrong, Plymouth is nice and all... just poking some fun. Heck, I moved to Rogers (temporary situation!) from Eden Prairie.

I've never loved living here but I don't hate it. And, when it comes down to it, on days like we had last week, it's easy to forgive January and February. I mean, those are really the only miserable months here.... and those are livable.

when it comes down to it, as a metro, the commute is pretty easy, we have a lot of good theatres and restautants, good music, and a diverse economy. There are definately worse places to be stuck.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Silly people - Tonganoxie, KS straight shot to Arrowhead Stadium - unfortunately:

The Chief's do not have a good football team.

Also one of the ones listed in Colorado was a cow pasture/wheat field -'never to be developed' in the 70's when I lived in Littleton.

All of which prompt's my Curmudgeon mind to ask - how many 'we're never gonna tell communities exist'. Or now that we're here - let's shut the gate.

I noticed that when I lived in Colorado. It didn't work.

heh heh heh - Which hilltop do I live on in Missouri? My lips are sealed.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I share time between a district of 44,000 next to a city of 2 million and a city of 350,000, both on the Pacific. Works for us.

I ignore most surveys because I spent four years managing a market research function for a large technology company and I could prove anything I wanted.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
gone traveling

I suspect the people who do these surveys base their selections strictly on computer data, ie crime statistics, cost of housing, education, taxes, etc. However, in the real world, choosing a place to live is much more subjective. If they actually visited MN in January- or AZ in July for that matter, their conclusions might be different. We should link this thread to the one about living somewhere you don't like just so you can ER...
Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

The "best" city in all the polls I've seen is rarely the most affordable.

I plan to stay where I am for quite a while (I'm not retired yet, but don't plan to move after retirement). I live in a small town that has little to offer, but it has two advantages: The cost of living is low, and it's a short drive to a larger city that has plenty to do.

My advice is to find that perfect city, then look for a cheaper town that's not too far away, and save a bundle.

From where I live, I can travel to any place in the world (just like you), and because my bills are low, I can afford to.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Skittles says it all for me.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
Skittles says it all for me.
My lips are sealed.

Happy Days the movie - the burbs, the burbs, God Bless the burbs - expensive gas and all.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles View Post
The "best" city in all the polls I've seen is rarely the most affordable.

I plan to stay where I am for quite a while (I'm not retired yet, but don't plan to move after retirement). I live in a small town that has little to offer, but it has two advantages: The cost of living is low, and it's a short drive to a larger city that has plenty to do.

My advice is to find that perfect city, then look for a cheaper town that's not too far away, and save a bundle.

From where I live, I can travel to any place in the world (just like you), and because my bills are low, I can afford to.
What part of the country do you live in, Skittles?

Minnesota is beautiful and Minneapolis is awesome but the winters would literally kill me as I would be jumping off the bridge over the Mississippi by February 1.

Here's the list:

Money's list of America's best small cities more
  1. Plymouth, MN
  2. Fort Collins, CO
  3. Naperville, IL
  4. Irvine, CA
  5. Franklin Township, NJ
  6. Norman, OK
  7. Round Rock, TX
  8. Columbia/Ellicott City, MD
  9. Overland Park, KS
  10. Fishers, IN
Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles View Post
That can be tough because your town then becomes the next big suburb if you're too close or the drive is too far to be fun... then you end up not doing something like go to a late-night jazz performance at the downtown club means you're on the road back too late.

In general, I agree with your sentiment, though... I'd rather live somewhere with the main features I want but close enough to drive an hour or so when I need something beyond those features.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Overland Park, Kansas looked overbuilt to me when I went to a wedding there two years ago.

Glad they missed some of the true oasis towns/stomping grounds of decades past:

Clatskanie, Oregon

Jamestown, Colorado

Bush, Louisiana

My lips are still sealed - I'll toss in Tonganoxie, KS cause it's in Kansas and the Pats not the Chiefs have a good football team.

Wet summer - grass north of Kansas City is growing like crazy - got the front and back - think I'll let the strip outside the fence bordering the street grow 'past ankle deep.'

heh heh heh - not all roses in the burbs - unless you like grass! .
Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
... I would be jumping off the bridge over the Mississippi by February 1.

...except you won't drown, since the river is frozen in February.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
...except you won't drown, since the river is frozen in February.

In my defense I didn't say I would drown myself (but I didn't think about the river being frozen--that ice should do the deadly trick right there--not to mention the river being frozen would make me even more depressed).

So funny--this is like one of those brainteaser questions: The man was found drowned off the Minneapolis bridge in February and the police knew he must have been murdered--how did they know?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we're discussing temps. Which is worse. Freezing cold in MN in the winter or Steaming hot in FL or AZ in the summer? I say the heat is worse because you can always put on another layer of clothing to stay warm if it's cold but you can only take off so much and you're still hot.