Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Valley fisher View Post
I love to fish and can never get enough of it. I have read all of the "best fishing towns" on the internet, but those types of reports usually list the obvious choices. I am mostly an inshore salt water fisherman and I both flyfish and spinfish (usually with artificials). I have my favorite town which I will describe below. What is yours and why? I would especially like to hear from the western stream/river fishermen. I need to find a place to go in the summer where it isn't as hot as florida.

Boca Grande, Florida
Pros: Beautiful laid back little town that doesn't get crowded even at the height of the season (Jan-Mar). Not a single traffic light. A few great resaurants (who needs more?). Almost no crime. Great weather Oct. - May. Good sight fishing in crystal clear water for Redfish, Snook, Trout, and Tarpon (spring/summer).

I relocated to Reno to flyfish for trout and avoid the Houston heat. Because of the drought, I'm having to drive 6 miles to the Cal border and a little further or hike a little to the high mountain lakes but it's good. Tahoe is less than an hour away and the hiking around Reno is great.

We had a cabin up above Canon City, CO above the Royal Gorge (7500 feet at the cabin) or you could look or something around Salida--beautiful little town close to the Continental Divide about an hour from Canon City. We sold the cabin along with the Houston home to move to Reno, but I had pangs of some regret. Reno is a great year-round location; I'm not sure I could deal with the cabin when I hit 70 or so.

Also love Glenwood Springs area; Oklahoma granddad built his cabin near Basalt and Carbondale in the mid '60s, but since those areas are below Aspen, they've become pricey and pricier over the last 30 years. God's country, though.

I should note my childhood was a lot like River Runs Through It, if 40-50 years later, so I love the mountains and fly-fishing for trout. Even if I don't catch anything, I love casting on the river, particularly in the evening or early morning.

RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets
I would highly recommend the Missoula, MT area as a Summer fishing destination. We lived in MT ~ 20 years and, like you, I love to fish. Missoula has five excellent streams nearby (Clark Fork, Bitterroot, Blackfoot, Rock Creek and Lochsa in ID) and numerous tributaries plus many activities in town when not fishing. Glacier Park and Whitefish are two hours north and Yellowstone/Tetons are ~ four hours south. I believe you would not be disappointed.

Fly Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote