Join Early Retirement Today

Best Genealogy Software?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best Genealogy Software?

DH used to do a lot of genealogy, but got out of it several years ago. He is now getting back into it. The preferred program he used to use was The Master Genealogist. However, that program is no longer going to be updated and he doesn't know how long it will continue to be supported.

He also found out that Family Tree Maker is going to be discontinued as well.

So he is looking for a desktop alternative. He has an account at ancestry.com and uses software there, but he prefers to have desktop software as well.

He is not up to date with what has happened with genealogy software in the last several years.

Does anyone have any suggestions? His computer uses Windows 10. He is looking for something that has not been discontinued.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom used the program that you could get from the Mormon Church... it was free and pretty good....

Since they are big into genealogy I would think that they update it... I hope someone gives an answer since I would like to get my mom's work into a program so it is not lost....

Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #3

Use something on-line. That way, all her hard work will not go wasted after you may be gone. The links are used by others to make for their tree add-ons.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm a Mac guy, so no help to the OP, but I've used Reunion for years. Very powerful and user friendly.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been using Family Tree Maker for years. The linking to Ancestry.com is a great feature. However, they have announced that the link will be cut after this year, taking away the best feature. I have also used Brother's Keeper, and I actually prefer it except for the online link. BK is also cheaper, so after this year, I expect that I will switch back.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, TMG was "discontinued" in 2011. because as the developer Bob Velke said, "After 20 years, this program is a good as it is ever going to get." (Which is another way of saying that annual updates were serving no other purpose than to keep people employed.)

However, this doesn't mean that the program is not being supported. There are several User Groups that are very active -- for instance, The ROOTS Users Group of Arlington, VA.. This is primarily because Mr. Velke was correct. This program is still heads above all other genealogy programs to date... and it doesn't appear that it will be overtaken anytime soon.

Now, having said that, there are no new copies available (and it needs a registration code). However, if the OP can show previous ownership, then that registration code is available.

FWIW, I have used TMG for most of those twenty years... and since.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

I tried a few different applications, but settled on Ancestry.com They continue to improve it over time.

I'd say the best feature of it is the easy access to lots of online sources like census data and immigration data.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My mom used the program that you could get from the Mormon Church... it was free and pretty good....

Since they are big into genealogy I would think that they update it... I hope someone gives an answer since I would like to get my mom's work into a program so it is not lost....
That program is called "Personal Ancestral File", and has been discontinued and is no longer supported. You can read in your existing files (.paf) into Ancestry.com, and reconcile any differences. As Senator said, it is very powerful to link into work that others have done. If you don't link in, your effort could be wasted, if it's not available online for anyone else. I helped my dad do this last year with his .paf files, and he found a lot of discrepancies. I also helped him scan and upload some old photos of his parents and relatives, which he annotated them with names & dates. I was fascinated by the stories he told, as he talked about each photo. Someday, not far off, this information will be gone, so I'm trying to capture as much as possible.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #9

I'm very glad you started this thread. I'd been thinking about this lately and assumed there had been discussions of genealogy before on e-r.org, but hadn't yet done a search. Recent opinions and suggestions will be useful to read.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

My sisters have been doing geneology for many years. They used to use Brothers Keeper but have moved to ancestory.com. They even talked me into a DNA analysis and have used that to make more links. Its all integrated in ancestory.com and they have a free version that worka well.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As I'm from 'over there,' I keep my records on: Discover your ancestors - Genes Reunited. It's mostly free, but you can optionally pay for access to various premium sources. You have the choice of keeping your records private, or selectively publishing them.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
They even talked me into a DNA analysis and have used that to make more links.
Another good point.

I've found a couple of second cousins I would never have known about through my 23andme results. I never expected that, but it does work.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't' know that the Mormon software was no longer supported. Glad to see this thread; I'll research options for my data.

Be careful with Ancestry.com, and other on-line sources that are simply data posted by unknown users (including the LDS data). My family tree has some pretty glaring errors that continue to perpetrated by well-meaning but ill-informed users. Try to get references to source documents whenever possible.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #14

For anyone who prefers privacy, note that ancestry.com will make public the data you enter, if not directly then via third-party, and will do so even if you choose the option to keep your family tree private.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #15

DH does use Ancestry.com and has trees there. But, he does most of his work in The Master Genealogist. He likes having a desktop version because he sometimes may want to do work in the database when he doesn't have easy Internet access (for example, doing work away from home where WiFi is not available).

He also feels, I think, that what you can use on Ancestry isn't as good as what he is currently using (TMG). RonBoyd - I think he happy with TMG but has concern that at some point it won't work well particularly with some new OS in the future.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Ack, I was mistaken. I tried using familysearch.org, not ancestry.com. I'm new to genealogy, but I found familysearch to be pretty user-friendly. Here's a comparison between familysearch and ancestry- apparently they are sharing geneology data now. I noticed discrepancies in dates in some cases in my family when I read in my dad's ".paf" file, so part of the problem is to track down what's accurate. There's a place to provide "sources" for each person, so hopefully if there's problem you can see where the data is coming from. For me, it was cool to see some of my ancestor trees show up, as soon as I searched for a couple of names.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
RonBoyd - I think he['s] happy with TMG but has concern that at some point it won't work well particularly with some new OS in the future.
That is a legitimate concern and one that is in the back of most of our (user's) minds. However, it doesn't represent any immediate danger -- TMG works just fine in Windows 10 and, I suspect, that Microsoft will, as usual, support that version for another 10 years. (This is probably as reassuring as any prediction of future events. <grin>)

In any event, Terry Reigel has an excellent article that explains it more fully. Terry's TMG Tips - The Future for TMG Users

There are a number of other resources that may be useful to that discussion. Among which are:

Wholly Genes Community
RootsWeb: Genealogy Mailing Lists: TMG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #18

DW was an active user of Family Tree Maker a few years ago and after some initial struggles did okay with it. I wasn't that impressed with the software when she asked for help with it but admittedly I didn't spend much time with it.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
For anyone who prefers privacy...
On the other hand, ability to share all the info I'm accumulating was one of the big draws Ancestry.com had for me. I share the info with anyone who's interested in the info there. This is certainly a case of a type of data that is more valuable the more it's shared.

Someone mentioned bad data. That's always an problem with genealogy. Even with data with rock solid sources like the census is sometimes flawed because of naming issues and just simple mistakes. The more you can corroborate data the better. To me it's fine to bring in data from various sources, just don't place your trust in them without verifying.

And finally, I love their mobile app for access. More than a few times I've been chatting with relatives and something comes up that I know can be answered by consulting the family tree. Since the phone is always connected, I can quickly bring up whatever I was thinking of.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

This wiki chart might help you find a new package that has the features you are looking for and is actively updated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...alogy_software

I have used a package called RootsMagic in the past and I have liked it. I think they have a free version with some limits on features.