BEST JOB

Cool Dood

Full time employment: Posting here.
OK, we've started the WORST JOB thread, now how about the best?

I enjoyed a summer at an ice cream shop in a historical, touristy area.

Cool Dood said:
OK, we've started the WORST JOB thread, now how about the best?
Best job ever-- student in the Weapons Systems Engineering graduate-degree program at Naval Postgraduate School Monterey, CA.

Second-place tie vote:
1. Starter on a golf course, especially when a $3 tip was a big deal to a 16-year-old in 1977, or
2. Military training commands.

standby gynacologist at the miss america pageant

Best job ever was the year I spent as a hotwalker/groom on a small thoroughbred farm. I loved working with the horses, the laid back farm atmosphere, day trips to the track if your horse was racing. Great job for me, pay sucked.

Best job ever was between being, a carefree bicycle messenger riding madly through the streets of NYC and a manager at a massage parlor with some fringe benefits. :D

Lifeguard from 16 to 19 years old.  Basking in sun for hours at a time ogling teenage girls monitoring the safety of patrons.

Clerk in a bookstore. Intelligent (mostly) people to talk with, and a 30% discount on books for employees.

No stress, lots of walking/exercise involved (shelving books, showing patrons where the book they want was shelved), fun people to work with.

Strangely for me, my best job was also working at McDonald's. The hours sucked, the worked sucked, but I LOST weight despite eating all the Big Macs I could eat. Oh, yes, the fringe benefit of fooling around in the stock room, behind the store, at the girl's house 1 block away has not been matched since at any of my "real" jobs.

Delivering cell phones to movie stars on the backlots/sets of films (this was back when people had "car phones" and phones weren't as disposable). Didn't actually meet anyone (just saw them from a distance). I would instead hand the phone and related equipment to the assitant to the assistant of Bruce Willis, Tommy Lee Jones etc. Still, it was fun to catch a glimpse of the stars and that world.

When I was 16 I was the only worker at the 9th hole refreshment stand at our local golf course.

It was awesome! I was outside all day, drank all the beer I wanted, made a lot of tips, and was allowed to play for free on my days off.

looking back i had ZERO expenses and it just doesn't seem like it could be any better than that.

You know, I have had some jobs that were better than others, but I can't actually say I was ever actually all that happy working any of them (and I have hopped around a lot). Maybe my current job is the best so far, given the interesting work, good pay, and good treatment. But the hours and the commute still suck.

brewer12345 said:
You know, I have had some jobs that were better than others, but I can't actually say I was ever actually all that happy working any of them (and I have hopped around a lot).  Maybe my current job is the best so far, given the interesting work, good pay, and good treatment.  But the hours and the commute still suck.
Maybe you're just temperamentally unsuited for work!

Nords said:
Maybe you're just temperamentally unsuited for work!

Nah. I am easily bored and generally shiftless & lazy.

I liked working as a nurse's aide in a hospital newborn nursery--for minimum wage. One fo the things I had to do was clean delivery rooms after use--I actually enjoyed that and took pride in making sure it was thoroughly clean and disinfected when I was done. Being comfortable bathing, feeding, and soothing babies came in handy later when I became a mother. The other aides were mostly older women--I enjoyed hearing about their lives. I also learned a fair amount of medical stuff (for example, baby of indeterminate sex happens much more often than expected). And I had to strap the baby boys into a contraption for their circumcisions--I hated that, poor little guys. Some of the screamed at the top of their lungs even before the minor surgery. They all cried after :-[

Come to think of it, all of my jobs were good, it's just that I hated getting up early and working for 40+ hours a week, week in & week out--especially when I wasn't in the mood (eventually I was never in the mood :LOL:).

A stripper at Mitchell Brothers :LOL: Great hours and piles of cash.

cube_rat said:
A stripper at Mitchell Brothers  :LOL:  Great hours and piles of cash.
I'm sorry, but seemingly outlandish claims of consorting with important historical figures must be documented with photos...

The DJ gig was during my first year of college. I worked there for a couple of years. The place was very small and I was there alone most of the time since I had the late shift. It was a 6am to Midnight station so I worked from 3 to midnight. It was a mixed format but was all jazz after 8pm. The station was mostly automated which was a big deal in 1970 and I had a ball doing the live DJ stuff. A side benefit was all the lonely chicks that called all night long. The pay sucked but the job was about a 10 on the cool scale. I also learned a lot about jazz, electronics, automation and how to deal with a sudden loss of transmission. Nothing worse than the sickening sound of nothing coming out of the studio monitors and you are the "engineer" on duty.

working in a Doctor's office with a Doctor who cared more about taking good care of patients than making money. We didn't make much money but really felt like we were doing something worthwhile.

Have you found over the years that the best jobs usually coincide with the crappy pay?

Back
Top Bottom