Best Laid Plans

boont

Recycles dryer sheets
Remember all those things you were going to do when you retired? Well, have you gotten to any of them?

I was thinking about this as I was watching a new well being drilled at my ranch. Taking stock I guess you'd call it. I have been spending a lot more time up there so that is one thing I had planned on.

The other was to spend more time on a hobby (I collect antique electric trains) and that I haven't done.

I was also going to reorganize my book collection (about 2500 volumes) which I haven't done.

I am taking a lot more still photographs and buying a new Cannon D5 digital SLR. I am also restoring a couple of documentaries I made in the 1970's.

But I still haven't started remodeling my city house which I was going to start for sure by now.

What happened to all that time I was going to have?

boont

15 months into RE.

I've sold 15 motorcycles and all related parts (leaving about the same amount, but still . . .)

I just got done going through my 40 year accumulation of SF&F paperbacks, setting aside as "keepers" only those that will fit here at home, and I've got the remaining 3200 of them categorized in boxes in the garage waiting for a local person to get back to me about a bulk purchase.

I painted the front of the house right after retiring. I've filled the recycle bins many times with lots of paper, though I've still got 7-8 boxes left to sort through. The shop is much more organized, but not done. I ran 3/4" copper lines in the shop for the compressed air supply - no more dragging the 50 foot long hose all over the place.

I'm getting back into the habit of reading (which I fell out of when having to drive on the commute) which has been helped by the book sorting that turned up a lot of "I've been wanting to reread that one" books.

I'm working on my goals being MY goals, not someone else's goals. If I'm doing something that brings me a modest amount of pleasure/satisfaction, I declare it a success.

cheers,
Michael

boont said:
Remember all those things you were going to do when you retired? Well, have you gotten to any of them? What happened to all that time I was going to have?
At the six-month point you're supposed to have a spotless house, a flawless yard, and be totally bored out of your unfulfilled mind!

Listen, do we need to have an interdepartmental stretch-goals meeting where we can review innovative leveraging of our proactive synergies to achieve our customer-focused visions? Or are you feeling happier now?

Let me bring up my "Goals" list. Hmmm, I haven't edited it since August of 2005. Gosh, some of those shorter-range goals (reorganize the garage, clean out file cabinets) were done five years ago-- it's time to do them again!

On the longer-range lists:
Medium range ("three to five"):
Retire
Grow a ponytail
Start a workout program?
Volunteer at school (grading papers, math tutoring)
Chaperone all the field trips that school will allow
Learn to surf (in progress)
Tae kwon do (in progress)
More beach time (in progress)
More diving! (no progress)
Try investing theories on 10 stocks for a year.
Maintain at least 10% investment IRR/annual return.
MWR "Hike of the Month" club
Water conditioner & solar water heater
Investigate caloric restriction (download Walford's calorie software)

Long range ("life"):
Be a good spouse
Be a good Dad
Net worth higher than lifetime earnings
Collect more retired Navy pension than active duty salary
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll diving
Spend a month in Thailand
Join the top ten on alma mater's "Oldest Living Alumni" list
Join the "Centenarian Sailors" listing on BUPERS' retiree magazine

The Other Michael said:
I just got done going through my 40 year accumulation of SF&F paperbacks, setting aside as "keepers" only those that will fit here at home, and I've got the remaining 3200 of them categorized in boxes in the garage waiting for a local person to get back to me about a bulk purchase.
Man, I'd hop on a plane for that garage sale and still beat the shipping expenses!

PM me if by any chance you happen to have at least six volumes of David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series...

Back
Top Bottom