Join Early Retirement Today
Best Places To Burn Your Severance
Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Best Places To Burn Your Severance

The article below isn't specifically for retirees but it has some good ideas for inexpensive places to spend your idle time.

For example:

Ko Samui, Thailand - Expenses: Around $20 per day

This idyllic island is increasingly popular with globetrotting tourists, and it's no wonder. If you're looking for clear blue water, cheap massages and drinks on the beach, Ko Samui is paradise. The village of Chaweng has some of Thailand's best beaches, and the most active nightlife (think foam parties, Ibiza-style) on the island. You'll pay about $15 a night for a nice hotel, and $5 will get you more than enough food.

In Pictures: Best Places To Burn Your Severance

In Pictures: Best Places To Burn Your Severance -

AzDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
so if i don't secure an enjoyable job within a year or two i guess i'll have to suffer through daily massages in paradise. such is life.

"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
We were in Koh Samui 10 years ago and loved it. Wonderful place, people are really friendly and the food was excellent. I would return there in a heartbeat, however I would say by now it is likely overrun by development and is a totally different place to what I remember.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
I'd vote for Banos, Ecuador. Little mountain spa town. Not much to do but eat, sleep and soak in the baths. Total cost per day about five years ago was $20/person.

Buenos Aires is pretty cheap, too, and you have all the benefits of a major cosmopolitan city at your beck and call should you be inclined to spend more.
"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the Early Retirement boards, sebastiani! Please feel free to post an introductory note on our "Hi, I am...." board.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
These sound like some really interesting destinations to consider for my post retirement travel adventures.

powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote