Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Best Places To Live in Retirement? Our View
Old 11-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Jane:

Brampton is close and has everything. BUT, it has far too much of all the things you hate about the Burbs is centered in Brampton. It is the biggest PIT around here.

SWR
I agree when I purchased my place a couple of years ago I looked at Brampton, Mississauga, Etobicoke and Oakville and I decided on Oakville. The other three are getting really big and crowded.

Jane

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Traffic in TO can be quite exasperating and if that doesn't inspire road rage in you
If one is actually living in the city it makes no sense to drive to go to work. *If one is retired then again for trips in the city it makes no sense to drive.

Quote:
It is only a half an hour drive/train from TO if you would like to indulge in clubs, restaurants, cultural events etc.
There is no way that it is half an hour even in the dead of night from Oakville to downtown by car (even at the highly illegal speeds that a young guy may do - don't ask how I know). *If you take the train you run into the problem of the last train being at 10:50pm and your show ending at 11:00pm. *I've done both living in suburbia and going into the city and actually living in the city and there is no comparison.

Being able to walk down the street to the second run/art cinema and catch the 7:30 showing of some interesting film from Korea after dinner at home is something that you can't do if you live in suburbia. *The walk down the street on a Saturday morning to pick up the paper and a fresh pastry from the wonderful Ukrainian bakery (Future Bakery) is something you can't do in the 'burbs either - you have to drive to get just about anywhere and there are no real bakeries just mega-groceries that churn out factory like "baked goods".

I can't see choosing the 'burbs over the city in retirement but that is a personal choice. *During the working years you may have no to little choice based on other work type choices. *If one wants to work in Silicon Valley for example there is little choice but to either live in the suburban wasteland or commute 2 hours / day to and from the city (San Francisco). *But in retirement? *If one truly doesn't want to live in a city but still wants cultural/intellectual activities then a university town/small city may make an excellent choice. *If one truly doesn't want the cultural/intellectual activities then perhaps the countryside is a better choice for them. *But the 'burbs which bring the worst of all attributes of the country and the city together and mixes in a few extra of its own?

Old 11-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #23

In defense of the NY burbs, they offer a very nice quality of life, at least the 'old line' ones in westchester county. *Lots of green, great homes, very walkable, diverse population (probably like Canada), easy access to NYC, and very strong community activities. *Great access to water, beautiful leaf-peeper-quality rural scenes within the county, and real countryside just a few minutes further north.

Only problem seems to be affordability of the homes themselves, and property taxes. *That and some snow in the winter.

Lots of retirees live here, though no small number of them are snowbirds, once the kids are grown. *A small but hardy band of early retirees (Dads) with kids in the great school systems and plenty of nice things to do, (boats, golf, kids sports coaching, adult hockey leagues, hiking, kayaking, strong churches, health/fitness options, arts classes, etc. etc.) . *ERing from wall street jobs (generates the nest-egg to afford the higher real estate costs) and doing a bit of consulting, trading, private equity etc seems to be the M.O. for the ERs around here. *Plus lots of charitable/community work. *The ER community looks positively huge here if you count the *Moms who are are 'ERd with a working spouse', (we used to call that stay-at-home Mom). *Moms or Dads, none of them seems to be posting on this Board, (except me).

Just thought I would speak up for another large group of ERs that isn't otherwise represented here.

ESRBob
Old 11-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #24

Anyone out there live on Vancouver Island? How does the weather stack up against the rest of Canada? Is it gray most of the year?

SWR
Old 11-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #25

For those who like the country life, Custer, South Dakota can't be beat. As pretty as the rockies yet much more accessible. No state taxes, tons of wild life, no big bears, no mesquitos, chiggers, gnats, or bitey things. Warm dry summers, sunny winters with forays into the 30's and 40's all winter. Just a touch of snow to clean things up. Pine trees so things look alive year round. Glorious falls. No jobs

Rapid City is close enough for shopping, but fine dining, and most of the big city things are lacking.
Folks are friendly, cars just don't stay clean.
It is a great place to not keep up with the Joneses, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:53 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I watched that HBO series "deadwood" last year. The wimmen in those parts look awful scary and have incredibly foul mouths.

You left out those last couple of positives, just thought I'd chime in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
forays into the 30's and 40's all winter.
Does that mean you foray up or you foray down

Here in So AZ we foray 'down' into the 30's and 40's but that's about all I can take anymore.

But, I've been to Custer (in the summer) and thought it was quite nice.

Judy
Old 11-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shock, I'm an old Geography major from way back. :
And I specialize in climate.
The Southern Ontario climate, as you know, since you're a native, is fascinating.
The Niagara area and Windsor Essex has a milder less cloudy outlook than most. We are in the Carolinian Deciduous Zone because of the lakes, and the cropland is Class 1.
Anywhere on the north shore of Lake Erie or extreme southern Lake Huron around Grand Bend or Sarnia might be a second choice.
I live in London, and it's a great city, but we get a sh*t load of cloud and snow from Lake Huron each winter!
I'm 5 minutes from world class health care.......not that I need it! And the Canadian system covers us all.
We're 2 hours from Toronto or Detroit, and I can be on the 401 to I-75 and be in Florida in a couple of days.