Best places to retire

#18 Lawrence KS. I have actually been there along with about 1/3 of the other places.
I can't remember anything about the place except that it is evidently a good place to be in the event of a nuclear exchange. See The Day After.

I must say none of those places inspire me to give up Hawaii's weather to move :).

I think Weatherford is really growing and being near Dallas/FW probably helps. We have friends there who liked it when it was more rural, but now say that it's becoming a bedroom community of the Metroplex. It still doesn't appeal to me though.

#18 Lawrence KS. I have actually been there along with about 1/3 of the other places.
I can't remember anything about the place except that it is evidently a good place to be in the event of a nuclear exchange. See The Day After.

I must say none of those places inspire me to give up Hawaii's weather to move :).

This guy liked Lawrence.

Attachments

• William S - Calico.jpg
    William S - Calico.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 10
This guy liked Lawrence.
Is that William Burroughs?

Lawrence KS is a nice college town, and I think when looking for cheap but reasonably interesting places to live it should be fine.

Although, as some one helpfully pointed out, it isn't NYC or San Francisco. Who knew?

Ha

Is that William Burroughs?

Lawrence KS is a nice college town, and I think when looking for cheap but reasonably interesting places to live it should be fine.

Although, as some one helpfully pointed out, it isn't NYC or San Francisco. Who knew?

Ha

Yup. That is Burroughs. Lawrence is a nice town. I have family in central Kansas and find it a refreshing change from the DC area. We're planning a trip out there in a couple of weeks.

Very interesting that there isn't even one California town on the list. Probably put off by the cost of living here.

Best "Place" to retire?

To our RV, traveling the US and Canada, satisfying our wanderlust.

At the same time we'll be taking notes on 'the best place for us' should we decide one day that we want a more traditional residence.

Yea, can't really take a list about retirement places serious if it doesn't include even one location in California.

There's a reason there are so many homeless in California, ever seen a bum living under a bridge in North Dakota in February? Heck, I BBQ wearing shorts and flip flops in February!! The climate is just so nice in California compared to just about anywhere else. I've lived all over while in the military. I'll never understand how anyone would tolerate high humidity in the summer of the south or the bone chilling temperatures of the winters of the north.
I'd rather be a homeless bum in California than live in those kinds of conditions ever again.

Last edited:
I could handle Boise or at least a suburb of Boise :D

My wife's folks retired there. Nice. Sorta like Carson City, Nevada; flat, sorta desert, not too cold or hot, little snow, and very low taxes. I think they told me a brand new pick up truck was something like $75 for two years of DMV registration. I'm paying over $500 a year for a 5 year old truck in California.

They have REAL gas too. 90% of the land is Federal forest. If you don't like people, Idaho is great!

Nice airport, college football team, parks, roads, etc. I go visit them and I'd retire there myself, if they didn't live there. As family, they suck and I'd rather not live anywhere near 'em.

Just left SoCal...great place to live; retire...only if you're grandfathered in with your property taxes and bought your home back when you could for $35k.

Now in Playa del Carmen and if you want to read the early days of our adventure...
Playa4pennies

Yeah, #12!:clap:

I've spent about 30 days in Huntsville in the last decade and I never seem to be able to find a decent place to run from my hotel. It's either busy streets or no sidewalk or shoulder. I did run to the university campus a couple times but I recall that I had to cross a busy expressway with no pedestrian route to get there.

A daughter and a brother of mine lived in Boise. My wife and I visited there often. Nice university with a great football program (if you can stand the blue turf), low crime, low cost of living (as far as I could tell), close to recreation and scenery, fairly mild winters. Not too bad of a place.

As indicated by others, the ideal retirement location is so personal--where the grandkids live, where the recreation that you enjoy is found, where there's a compatible lifestyle, where your sports teams are located, and so forth--that such published lists are useless.

Funny list. In several states there is a choice I like better. In TN Clarksville? It is probably second only to Memphis in crime. the are much better places in TN than Clarksville depending upon what you are looking for.

Funny list. In several states there is a choice I like better. In TN Clarksville? It is probably second only to Memphis in crime. the are much better places in TN than Clarksville depending upon what you are looking for.
These lists always seem to be way south of silly.
I suspect the writers are told that the nuttier you make it the more discussion it will generate..:facepalm: and it works:blush:

I spent a year at the air base close to Marquette, MI in 1970. It is a beautiful town. I wonder what the person that did this list was smoking when he listed Marquette as number one. My wife is from that area and no way would she ever go back. The summers are short (July-August) but they are nice. The winters are long and COLD and way to much snow for me. I have never been so glad to leave the Marquette area in my life. Oldtrig

I've got to agree, what were they smoking? My Dad went to school at Michigan Tech in Houghton. The stop signs have to shovel off the during the winter otherwise they will be buried in snow. There are no cities close by and not much to do for entertainment (IMO). Also, to me, the restaurant food in the UP is really bad. I can not imagine that this area would be appealing to many people.

I posted earlier about The Villages FL. Well this week we are finally moving from MD to FL. We are both excited and nervous as we have never lived outside of the Baltimore area. Friday we will begin our two day trek with our two cats.

I posted earlier about The Villages FL. Well this week we are finally moving from MD to FL. We are both excited and nervous as we have never lived outside of the Baltimore area. Friday we will begin our two day trek with our two cats.
Have a nice move.
Hope you'll share some details (and pictures of course) of this major transition.
The Villages pop on my radar every so often..

I did extensive research on about 100 retirement communities, visited 7, and when I got to The Villages Fl, I stopped looking and bought a home. Best decision ever. The reality far exceeds the marketing hype.

Hmmm - diferent strokes for different folks - are you a four season, two season warm, indoor or outdoor, etc.

Take my Sister - married to a mining engineer - experienced a wide range of climes, small and middle size towns - some near larger cities. Retired to 'God's Country' near the Olympic National Forest - the rainforest part not Sequim(a retirement hot spot). Duh?

Both raised in the ole PacNW and I lived in greater Portland, Seattle, Denver, Huntsville Al, New Orleans.

Kansas City? Pssst - don't tell anyone about Tonganoxie.

heh heh heh - After 18 years of ER I plan to settle down and pick a 'regular retirement spot' from one of these lists. Say in ? 12 yrs when I get to 80.

I'm sure someone will still be generating best place lists even then. :dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom