Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post

Redding is big enough to have lots of live music, bike trails, great back roads for harley riding, skiing on Mt. Shasta, water skiing/boarding on Shasta Lake. 6 rivers to our west for camping, RV'ing, and any other type of outdoor activity you're into.. Two of the largest Wildernesses in California to our north. What more does a person want in life?

Water boarding?
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Water boarding?
Mr. Jeb... You funny guy!

Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
As determined by the editors of International Living magazine here are the best places to retire (obviously outside the US):

Top 14 retirement destinations - chicagotribune.com
I was so glad to see mention of international places to retire on this thread, just sad I had to get to page #3. While I agree with some of the caveats provided in the follow up comment, I believe this is an option that more people should at least consider.

Since leaving the US in 2010 I have been surprised by the number of people that have reached out and expressed their dream of living overseas. There are so many new experiences and opportunities and the list of places available is virtually endless. You can live at virtually any income level (depending on the country) and the healthcare is typically as good or better than the US and always cheaper.

I love my home country but really enjoy exploring new cultures and experiences now. There are a lot of options available and it is not as hard or scary as we have all been led to believe. So any list that states "best places to retire" that does not include a single place outside the US is rather meaningless in my opinion unless it includes the qualifier "in the US".
warrentalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Columbia, MO????
Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Columbia, MO????

Anyone here looked into Columbia, MO to retire to? It used to be rated high on Money Magazine's lists of places. We went to school there and I loved it. Moved back to St Louis, worked for 30 years and am now FIRE looking for a place to move to.

Don't like the bad air and rude people in St Louis. Also would like to be able to walk or bike more and leave the car in the garage.
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
Anyone here looked into Columbia, MO to retire to? It used to be rated high on Money Magazine's lists of places. We went to school there and I loved it. Moved back to St Louis, worked for 30 years and am now FIRE looking for a place to move to.

Don't like the bad air and rude people in St Louis. Also would like to be able to walk or bike more and leave the car in the garage.
We didn't, but Springfield is at the top of our list if/when we move. Springfield has a lot of walking paths even inside the city limits. It is a lot more conservative than Columbia, from what I understand (but then so are we, most likely). Also probably a little more isolated, I would guess. We think that Missouri is a beautiful state.

I lived in St. Louis for a while as a child and young teen, but it doesn't appeal to me for retirement either.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We didn't, but Springfield is at the top of our list if/when we move. Springfield has a lot of walking paths even inside the city limits. It is a lot more conservative than Columbia, from what I understand (but then so are we, most likely). Also probably a little more isolated, I would guess. We think that Missouri is a beautiful state.

I lived in St. Louis for a while as a child and young teen, but it doesn't appeal to me for retirement either.
Never considered MO for retirement. How are the income, sales and property taxes there?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
Never considered MO for retirement. How are the income, sales and property taxes there?
I think they are moderate, and not unusually low or high. Here they are.

Overall cost of living, including but not limited to taxes, can very low in southwestern Missouri. Housing prices are especially low there compared iwth many areas. From what I understand salaries are appallingly low and jobs are scarce, making it a better place for a retiree than for a working person. Some other negatives are that Springfield is a long way from an international airport, for those who travel, and it does snow there plus it is subject to tornados and ice storms. We love the area despite all that. It is a quiet town without much going on IMO, which may be a negative for some but which translates to "peaceful" for us.

Can't tell you much about Columbia; maybe CorporateOrphan can fill you in on that.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think they are moderate, and not unusually low or high. Here they are.

Overall cost of living, including but not limited to taxes, can very low in southwestern Missouri. Housing prices are especially low there compared iwth many areas. From what I understand salaries are appallingly low and jobs are scarce, making it a better place for a retiree than for a working person. Some other negatives are that Springfield is a long way from an international airport, for those who travel, and it does snow there plus it is subject to tornados and ice storms. We love the area despite all that. It is a quiet town without much going on IMO, which may be a negative for some but which translates to "peaceful" for us.

Can't tell you much about Columbia; maybe CorporateOrphan can fill you in on that.
Thanks for the info- very helpful. And it looks like the taxes are pretty average in general, although the property taxes are below average. I found this map of property taxes by state- pretty interesting. The Tax Foundation - Median Property Taxes Paid by County, 2005-09
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan

I grew up around Columbia, and still go there a couple times a year. They have several walking parks and Katy Trail on southside is very nice. I wouldnt consider it a walking town, though, unless you a referring to moving into a neighborhood that has a Hyvee grocery store nearby. Columbia has had an increased crime level over the years, but I wouldnt classify it as dangerous by any means at all. Just stay out of a few areas that you would figure out quickly. The south side has all the nice new development.
Excellent medical facilities, a major regional hub in this area, along with the university are the major employees, so there are plenty of professionals employed in Boone county as opposed to surrounding counties. Tax wise and cost of living wise, Mo cant be beat. MO is one of only a few states that have a AAA bond rating because they balance their budget. The statistics may not show its true entirety. Cheap electricity, very low gas tax, very reasonable health insurance rates compared to other states and smoke to your delight at only 17 cents a pack tax. People could fly in from New York City, buy their smokes by the cartons and save tons of dough
But you know how it is, to each is own, and one mans paradise is another persons hell hole. Ive lived near all 3 basically my entire life and way prefer being near STL, than the other 2, but that is just my preference.
Springfield is a well layed out town and overall a very safe town, but was just too Ozarkian for my tastes. Not a compliment or insult, but probably the biggest town over a 100,000 population Ive ever been in that has almost no ethnic diversity.
W2R, if you ever move there, the airport is great if you want to go to Vegas, Phoenix, or Florida. They have direct flights from there a couple times a week. Brand new airport. Went from my car to seat on the airplane in less than 20 minutes. Even the TSA agents will joke with you there. One threatened to arrest me for wearing a California Angels t shirt (Big time Cardinal country, though its about 180 miles away from STL)
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Mulligan, my brother agrees with you about St. Louis, and he and his DW still live there. The snow gets to him so they "snowbird" to their condo on Maui and spend a lot of time out of the country as well, but they like St. Louis and he hasn't given up his house there.

You're right of course, in that Springfield does have a small airport with a few flights every day. We really don't travel at all, but some have told me in the past that the airport situation eliminated Springfield for them as a retirement location.

Like you we like the layout of Springfield a lot, and its safety and peacefulness would be especially nice as we grow older. The crime rate in New Orleans is pretty tough on the elderly. But for now, we will stay in New Orleans and wait to see if the crime gets worse or not in our marginally safer suburb. For now, we are happy here.

Panacea, thanks for the link to property tax information. The property taxes there are higher than here, but homeowners' insurance is far less so it seems to balance out.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post

Daughter and her family live in Columbia and we have given some thought to moving there some day. Easy living. Climate is unappealing to us, used to subtropical weather. But lots of activity revolving around the Mizzou campus. Sensible cost of living.

You could do worse.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Stateside, given a choice, I favor north of the 42nd parallel and west of the great divide.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Stateside, given a choice, I favor north of the 42nd parallel and west of the great divide.
Interesting way to describe location choices for a guy living on the shore of the world's largest closed drainage basin. How is Baku these days?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #74

Did anyone here decide a northern place, with seasonal cold, was a good place to retire? I'm asking because most of these "best" places are not near me, and when I think of retiring I look at one of the other northern states. (Close to where I want to get back to about once a month.) Just curious.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

We live in the best place.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Did anyone here decide a northern place, with seasonal cold, was a good place to retire? I'm asking because most of these "best" places are not near me, and when I think of retiring I look at one of the other northern states. (Close to where I want to get back to about once a month.) Just curious.
I'm unusual among retirees in that I can't take the heat but cold doesn't bother me (except maybe for shoveling a lot of snow).

Being in southern Ohio, I know that this is as far south as I could ever live. I'd prefer the Pacific NW, but doubt I could afford it.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister

I'm unusual among retirees in that I can't take the heat but cold doesn't bother me (except maybe for shoveling a lot of snow).

Being in southern Ohio, I know that this is as far south as I could ever live. I'd prefer the Pacific NW, but doubt I could afford it.
If I ever move it will be to the desert sw of AZ or NV. The midwest cold annoys me a little more each year as the skin begins to thin with age. No doubt the midwest is more affordable than pacific NM. I know you cant take the these articles with any degree of certainty and with a grain of salt as location matters too, but I enjoy looking at what $200,000 will be buy you in the US. They showed about a dozen or so with most of them in midwest. The homes were generally new and around 2-2.5 k sq. feet. Then they showed one from Seattle area of comparable cost. It was 1100 sq. feet, 50 years old, and single car garage and a homely dated green color. I dont pretend to be an expert on RE, especially up there, but it was amusing to look at.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Interesting way to describe location choices for a guy living on the shore of the world's largest closed drainage basin. How is Baku these days?
The operative word is "stateside".

We are back in the PNW at the moment.

Baku is as crazy as ever. I can't tell you how crazy. I really can't.

I have allergies at home. None in Baku. More sunny days there, too. Life is good.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I am up North and we plan to move to a more moderate climate like VA or NC. But there are lots of retired folks up here, many by choice. And the best places to retire lists often include places up north, Madison WI and Minneapolis/St Paul MN seem to appear often - they both have a lot to offer if you can handle the winter months. Where I am near Chicago is absolutely wonderful 9 months of the year, summer on Lake Michigan is a joy and Fall is beautiful especially, but it's pretty grim Jan thru Mar. There is no perfect place (with a reasonable cost of living), some people hate the cold and move south and some hate heat & humidity and move north. Whatever floats your boat...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Where I am near Chicago is absolutely wonderful 9 months of the year, summer on Lake Michigan is a joy and Fall is beautiful especially, but it's pretty grim Jan thru Mar.
It sounds very nice during most of the year. I guess in January through March you might spend more time inside, in a temperature-controlled environment. Granted, I haven't lived that far north but that doesn't seem so bad to me. We do that in the South to some extent in the summer. No way am I going jogging outside in August. From here your location seems like a reasonable choice for those who like it up there.