Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is amazing to me the number of times the 'Best Places to Retire' surfaces. Most seem to concentrate on what I view as vacation locations when in all honesty the best place to live in retirement is where you have the strongest family/social ties. All the fancy golf clubs, cheap taxes and the like are do not replace people who care about whether or not you are alive, and if alive how well you are doing.

My $0.02.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #102
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via Skype™ to MuzikLvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
It is amazing to me the number of times the 'Best Places to Retire' surfaces. Most seem to concentrate on what I view as vacation locations when in all honesty the best place to live in retirement is where you have the strongest family/social ties. All the fancy golf clubs, cheap taxes and the like are do not replace people who care about whether or not you are alive, and if alive how well you are doing.

My $0.02.
Got a point. BUT......lol. I need cost efficient, warm/hot climates and less stress.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Go for it, where ever it is, but keep in mind that nirvana may not really be the best place to retire late in life.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #104
Dryer sheet wannabe

Been working and living overseas on 3 different continents for the last 15 years, and speak 3 languages. Trust me - nothing beats the USA (although Australia sure is nice - aside from the cost of living).
Old 03-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

My $0.02.
Yes. I think it is such a popular topic to write about because it doesn't take much knowledge or skill and fills up emply space quickly.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hey, Huntsville is a terrific place! It was #2 on our list, when we were planning to relocate. Alabama has a great tax structure for retirees, as I recall, and "Rocket City" has plenty of scientists, engineers, things to do, U. Alabama at Huntsville, lovely and varied architecture, and so much more.
Bammer will be my retirement state - I had just assumed it was much like neighboring (and current home) Georgia. (The income tax rate is similar...)

Where does one find out about retirees tax treatment by state?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Where does one find out about retirees tax treatment by state?
Kiplinger.com

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgoebe View Post
Been working and living overseas on 3 different continents for the last 15 years, and speak 3 languages. Trust me - nothing beats the USA (although Australia sure is nice - aside from the cost of living).
Are you counting Strang as one of your languages?

I have a little mud on my boots, too, and do not disagree with you at all. Our first choice is to stay where we are (Bellingham, Washington).

I am compelled to have a Plan B, however, since realizing about 15 years ago that we were not going to have enough money to retire in safety, much less comfort in the US. Since then, our circumstances have improved, costs elsewhere have risen, and I am finding that age is going to shut us out of many of the foreign health care arrangements I had been investigating (age limits seldom come up in such discussions until you get there ). Expatriation is still an option but the choices are more limited than they were in the beginning. With luck, we won't be forced to go anywhere.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #109

That Kiplinger's piece is a nice one. Thanks!

And I agree, you want to retire where you feel comfortable, not where some guy filling magazine space thinks is a good one. And being near the things that make you feel comfortable, be that friends, family, golf, temperate climate, etc, is the most important consideration of all.

I remember all those John D. MacDonald novels about folks moving to Florida when they retire from up North somewhere, and wandering around town trying to tell people they used to be somebody, back home, but in Florida they were just some more old people. That always struck me as sad.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Kiplinger is probably the best site, but I've found this one helpful also once you've narrowed down the choices Taxes by State. It's interesting that the states with no income tax are not necessarily the lowest (tax) cost when all is said and done due to other taxes, various income deductions, etc.
Quote:
Many people planning to retire use the presence or absence of a state income tax as a litmus test for a retirement destination. This is a serious miscalculation since higher sales and property taxes can more than offset the lack of a state income tax. The lack of a state income tax doesn’t necessarily ensure a low total tax burden.

States raise revenue in many ways including sales taxes, excise taxes, license taxes, income taxes, intangible taxes, property taxes, estate taxes and inheritance taxes. Depending on where you live, you may end up paying all of them or just a few.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I remember all those John D. MacDonald novels about folks moving to Florida when they retire from up North somewhere, and wandering around town trying to tell people they used to be somebody, back home, but in Florida they were just some more old people. That always struck me as sad.
I never was anybody in the first place. And I have already lived in Florida.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

+1
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

+1
You two!

It is the "Wednesday-waiting-behind-the-old-people-at-Publix" that totally does me in, and I don't even live in Florida! Senior discount day, dontcha know!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC

You two!

It is the "Wednesday-waiting-behind-the-old-people-at-Publix" that totally does me in, and I don't even live in Florida! Senior discount day, dontcha know!
I hope when Im old, I dont slowly pull out a check book to pay for my purchase. I would hate to be a victim of " slow checker line rage" out in the parking lot. I dont think the taxes will make or break for me in the retirement location I choose (housing costs and HI will have a greater impact to me) as other costs or lack of costs do wind up counterbalancing the income taxes. That being said, I was a surprised that Arizona is not really that tax friendly to out of state pensioners. The have had so many retirees move there over the years, I just assumed it was. Maybe I can use that as an excuse with my SO to win her over to NV, as that is really my preference.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
But this is, like everything else that goes into the "best places" discussions, a personal assessment of your own priorities. There is no one best place for all people. What is best for one might seem like Hell for another.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yeah, and slowly going through the change purse to produce exact change.

Oh, and holding up the line buying several different types of lottery tickets. I really wish convenience stores had an "express lane" where there were no sales of lottery tickets.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #117

Lets not be too hard on the old folks. After all, we hope to be them someday ... and some of us already are.

That said, as one whose town often looks like it were one giant senior care facility, the worst isn't the cashier line or inside the supermarket (although they are pretty high up on the list), it's the Publix parking lot.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I'll need to add this to my total state tax spreadsheet. What's up with AL & GA?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6984979941_9e44e3ed26.jpg (138.4 KB, 43 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'll need to add this to my total state tax spreadsheet. What's up with AL & GA?
Hey, Alaska is even worse. And to think we've kicked around the idea of eventually buying a condo up there to spend our summers...

Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #120
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That Kiplinger's piece is a nice one. Thanks!
+1 I hadn't seen that one and it provides a lot of information in a nice format. Thanks!

Quote:
And I agree, you want to retire where you feel comfortable, not where some guy filling magazine space thinks is a good one. And being near the things that make you feel comfortable, be that friends, family, golf, temperate climate, etc, is the most important consideration of all.
Family is very important to many people, although it isn't a top criterion for us. Also, we were surprised to find that the topography and layout of a town was a Big Deal to us. We didn't realize that until we visited the three towns that sounded nicest on the internet. I think it is important to spend some time in a prospective retirement location to make sure one hasn't forgotten some criterion or other.

Quote:
So true.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote