Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I prefer the hotter drier heat of AZ, but obviously that's an individual preference.

It's been a while since I spent lots of time down there. The two things that caught me most off guard were how many confederate flags and stickers I saw and the "oh well" attitude toward drinking and driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I don't mind the heat and find that I acclimate well to the humidity. Having a change in seasons in nice and I'd take a long summer over a long winter. The average high in July in most parts of the state is in the 80's -- it's humid, but not as hot as many places.

I'm not sure when you were here, but the Triangle has had a really big influx of people from all over the country. I'd say only about 10% of my friends from here grew up in NC. Chapel Hill/Carrboro are pretty progressive, I'd say even compared to California standards. Before moving here, I never thought I'd ever live in the south, but the Triangle feels far from the deep south.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
Okay, well....I'll throw it out there because so far nobody else has mentioned it and we seem to be on every "top whatever" list.....

Austin.

Year round cycliing, affordable homes, Kindergarten thru UT, lakes, etc...etc....

Just bring your own bags. The city outlawed plastic shopping bags this year.

The scoundrels.......
Hey Travis, I agree with you and I've never been there. It's just what I know about the city and that comes from my grandson who moved there two years ago. He moved there because he got a job in a hospital and couldn't turn it down. He just can't say enough good about Austin and all the things there are for a young couple. He loves the outdoors and does a lot of hiking, camping, canoeing and also likes the city life like nice restaurants. Says he'll never leave. I take it that Austin is more like a yuppie community but can't prove it by me. We have a trip planned and we are going to stop by to visit.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #43

Depends what you are looking for. Young as in night life, or activities. Big City or little one? Resort or not? Is climate important? Land locked (A La Austin) or near Ocean? Personally I have to be within 5 miles of BIG water, no snow, average rainfall, don't care about jobs . There is nothing like it. That eliminates central US and anything north of the snow belt. I am about as far North as you can get before the snow. Lots of young folk here (College town), lots of older folk too.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

We find the long spring, summer and fall seasons on Lake Norman, NC very attractive. Charlotte, while maybe not as culturally sophisticated as SF is clean, modern and affordable.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post

It's been a while since I spent lots of time down there. The two things that caught me most off guard were how many confederate flags and stickers I saw and the "oh well" attitude toward drinking and driving.
I'm glad times have changed. I never see confederate flags.

Not that the state is ultra liberal but Obama did win NC btw.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I'm glad times have changed. I never see confederate flags.

Not that the state is ultra liberal but Obama did win NC btw.

I recently did a small driving tour of the south that included Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. North Carolina was the only one of those states in which we did not see a confederate flag.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up near Eugene, OR and it fits all of your criteria except for the climate. Rain and plenty of it, 9+ months out of the year (OK, drizzle, but it's the gray that gets you, not the rain).

In the PNW, Bend absolutely fits your bill. High desert, lots of outdoor recreation, beautiful homes in the price range you're interested in, lively communities (I was in Bend this summer -- it's great).

Also in Oregon, Medford is a place to check (Southern Oregon).

On California's Central Coast, consider San Luis Obispo. Lower housing prices that Santa Barbara, but many of the same perks (climate, outdoor recreation). SLO is also a university town with great outdoor activity access.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regarding NC, there are 7-10 counties that have moderately high incomes and education levels and tend to be purple or bluish in terms of politics (moderate to slightly liberal overall). Then there's another 90-93 counties that tend to be more red, lower income, and lower education levels. It is really 2 states in one culturally speaking. Huge rural/urban divide. Research Triangle area between Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh is so different than, say, Cleveland County or Rutherford County in the foothills/mountains. The good news is, you can live in a purple or blue area that is progressive, and you're only a short drive away from the middle of nowhere if you want to go huntin or shootin or drunk drivin or brandishin confederate flags.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #49

Raleigh is red, Durham is purple, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro is bright blue. Not just in basketball.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Raleigh is red, Durham is purple, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro is bright blue. Not just in basketball.
Raleigh is purple at best, often blue. Wake County went to Obama in 2012 and Raleigh is more blue than the entire county. Although of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill Carboro, Raleigh is the most red.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

Raleigh is purple at best, often blue. Wake County went to Obama in 2012 and Raleigh is more blue than the entire county. Although of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill Carboro, Raleigh is the most red.
Ah, well you know. Up here we're just gangsters.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Ah, well you know. Up here we're just gangsters.
Durham?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Durham?

But let's move the discussion away from the political landscape of NC to which bank5 is certainly accustomed.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

But let's move the discussion away from the political landscape of NC to which bank5 is certainly accustomed.
Good idea. As you were. We'll keep up with our stuff in Illinois (duck!).

Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #55

I was really just waiting for a photo of a confederate flag bikini, to be honest.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I was really just waiting for a photo of a confederate flag bikini, to be honest.
i'm not taking that bait

Back to Colorado, In this weeks useless 'best of' survey, is an Allstate 'safest cities in America' poll with Fort Collins at the top. The reaction of my coworkers was "great, now more people will move here". Where are the Safest Driving Cities in America? The Ninth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report®" Reveals New Results - News Releases - News, Videos, Photos, Press Releases | Allstate Insurance Newsroom
Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Its too bad Santa Rosa is so ridden with gang problems. But what city in CA doesn't have the gang issues?
No gang issues in Mission Viejo, CA or Irvine, CA or Lake Forest, CA or Ladera Ranch, CA or several others I can name. I live in South Orange County, CA. There are great schools, lots to do, lots of cultural events, and the BEST weather in the country. It is expensive though and traffic is bad. However, there are rolling hills and miles of bike trails and a variety of terrain. You can go to snow about an hour and a half from me and leave it when you desire. Can't say that for any of these other non California towns.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
i'm not taking that bait
I'll bite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebel-flag-bikini-1.jpg (82.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #59

I'm proud of you, Dawg.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spokane WA, Bend Ore.....neither close to the ocean though.