Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Best Spot to Retire
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought the 'meanest' mosquito's lived in Alaska - if you believe/read the old miners stories.

If you fish, you learn to deal with mosquito's although Co (4 yrs) was best - the 'gnats' around the edges of mountain lakes were more bothersome. Washinton and Louisiana - take your spray or Avon 'skin so soft' like a lot of commercial fishermen used to use.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2004, 01:28 PM   #22

I have never been to Alaska, but have visited about
45 of the 50 states. The biggest mosquitoes I ever saw
were in Minnesota. The worst black flies also, and I lived
in Upper Michigan and northern Wisconsin for many years.

John Galt
Old 01-28-2004, 05:56 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Lots to do in the summer there also, there is Glenwood Springs, and also a lot of easy 4 wheel drive roads. * Up the road from Marble, is Crystal, home to the actual old mill that is on many calendars, etc.

The winter, however is snowy, and some roads are open only in summer. *
Wayne
I have checked out the area pretty thoroughly, and that included riding a mountain bike from Marble up to the old mill along the Crystal River. Not a bad day's exercise for a 59 year old guy from the flatlands. (Well, actually I was 58 then, and Missouri isn't all that flat when you bicycle.)

Having snow on the back roads in winter suits me fine, since I do some cross-country skiing and also plan to try snowshoeing. When I get too old for that maybe I'll do it the lazy way with a snowmobile.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #24

The parts of Missouri I've seen aren't all that flat, bicycle or no. I have a good friend who still takes long trips at age 65.
I switched to motorcycles in 1991 and never looked back. Like ER, wish now I'd started sooner.

John Galt
Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Ted, I have also been mountain biking up there. There are a lot of fun routes, and also in the summer you can head to Crested Butte easily for more/different adventures. I think us over 50 mountain bikers are in the minority though.

Wayne
Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to admit, retiring to the Rockies would be nice. *I decided that I wanted rural character combined with close proximity to a big city. *And a big moat to keep undesirables away.

Here's a shot I took yesterday from our backyard:

Old 01-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a shot I took yesterday from our backyard:
Wabby- that must be a telephoto shot from the southern tip of Whidbey Island. What a beautiful picture of a beautiful place, my home for the past 30 years.

Mikey
Old 01-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #28

Close, Mikey. It's a non-telephoto from Murden Cove on Bainbridge Island. I've only lived out here for four years now, but I love it.

-- Wab
Old 01-29-2004, 07:01 AM   #29

I'm sitting here in Minnesota and the current Temp is 16 below zero actual. Wind chill is about 45 below zero!

I'm not going to sugar coat this at all. There is almost nothing good about this kind of weather. I can't say to many kind words about Minnesota in January. My friends that ski admit that when it's this cold, they don't go!

When spring does finally come here, you have never seen so many appreciative citzens in your life!

Only 3 more weeks to Florida!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #30

Cut-Throat, I feel your pain! A few years ago a bunch of
us were going to Ely, Mn. on a fishing trip. The lodge
called before our departure and said don't come. The
lakes were still frozen. This was almost Memorial Day!!!
Anyway, it's below zero here too and like you, we are
counting the days until we head south.

John Galt
Old 01-29-2004, 07:49 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Close, Mikey. *It's a non-telephoto from Murden Cove on Bainbridge Island. * I've only lived out here for four years now, but I love it.

-- Wab
You must be close to one of the most ambiguously named places on earth -- Point No Point. I went there once but couldn't figure out why.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:58 AM   #32

Hello Wabmester! Before we married my wife lived
in Michigan on some land that came to a point at a lake.
The road was Goodemoot, so she called her place
Moot Point. I found her quirky sense of humor very
appealing.

John Galt
Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 AM   #33

Quote:
You must be close to one of the most ambiguously named places on earth -- Point No Point. *I went there once but couldn't figure out why.
Yup, Hansville is just a bit north of me. Lots of great names in this area. Foul Weather Bluff is in the same general area, but it's in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains, so the weather is usually pretty nice.

Origin of the name:

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/buildin...opoint/pnp.htm
Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Close, Mikey. It's a non-telephoto from Murden Cove on Bainbridge Island. I've only lived out here for four years now, but I love it.

-- Wab

Ah, I have a friend who moved to bainbridge island about 4-5 years ago. That reminds me that I need to give him a jingle, I havent talked to him in quite some time. He seems to like the place.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like the early 90's - when I was back to sell my mother's house - SW Washington - lots of articles about cashing out CA home equity- moving north and distorting property values in Washington and Oregon.

BTY- I once owned a vacation lot in the low rainfall 'shadow' part of Whidbey - never built though. Two nephews stationed at the naval base after rotating back from the Middle East. The oldest (native Washingtonian) will of course exhibit common sense - sell their sailboat and move to someplace warm Mississippi/Florida gulf after he gets out - he's the Jimmy Buffett nut.

After growing up in the Pacific NW - I can take it or leave it - in my old (60) age leaning toward warm.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:50 PM   #36

Hey unclemick! I am your age and warm is where it's at for me. Drove into town for lunch with my folks. It was
about 9 degrees. Then the sun came out briefly.
Temp. dropped to +4 immediately and is headed for
minus 5-10 tonight, or so they tell us. The dog water
freezes as fast as I fill it. Who with a choice would
voluntarily stay around here?

John Galt
Old 01-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

John

I think these things are relative. 34 degrees this morning when I took the dog out and nowadays that's too cold - but it only lasts a day or two at most.

To think - 0 degree's was warm enough to go sking - when I was young and lived in Colorado.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

55 here and overcast. Taking the dogs out for a w-a-l-k shortly. Have to spell it...they're watching.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:39 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
According to him, Whidbey is in a banana belt, and does not get the rain that Seattle gets. *Is that a fact?
Hi Jarhead,

Well, Banana Belt is relative term. But yes, there is less rain and a bit more sunshine than in Seattle. I have lived in Forks, WA-144 inches of rain a year- and though I never lived there, Sequim (pronounced "SQUIM"WA gets around 20 inches I believe. The difference derives from Forks being on the West side of the Olympics, and Sequim on the northeast.

But weather wise, it all sucks relative to California. When I first came here form SoCal, it took me a year to get warm. Although it isn't all that cold, it is dark and wet.

Sometimes when I think of places that I left, I wonder if they look so good because I was young, or if they really were that good. BTW, for stream and lake fishing, I think California is quite a bit better. I particularly enjoyed fishing for Browns in the Owens River, east of Bishop. Got almost as many rattlesnakes as fish, but I loved it.

Really good fisherman here love steelheading, but it is hard to catch fish. If you are good, you endure a cold day on the river, but the prize is one of the most beautiful and best tasting fish anywhere. And our rivers are failrly clean, so you don't worry that eating a fish will give you cancer.

Mikey
Old 01-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Mikey

Winter steelhead fishing is a passion that transends logic. I went a few times with adults as a kid and froze my butt.