Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Imagine trying to all that in a new country--Mexico, say.

I am guessing that you have not moved very often.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thoreau, I was thinking about you list of roadblocks that had occurred while out on a pleasure drive this afternoon. It occurred to me that one source of the problem was that (whether by choice or due to unavoidable circumstances) you were tackling too much at once. It would have been easier to first fix up and sell your vacation home. Then when that was completely done with, and after you had relaxed for a few months, step 2: fix up and sell your main home. When that was done with, step 3: rent in the new location and relax for a few months while looking for a new home to buy at your leisure. I'm sure there were good, logical reasons why this could not be done, but either way I think that trying to do everything at once must have been such a headache. Sorry to hear that your move had so many roadblocks!

Sounds like you have overcome all of these roadblocks, so now it is time to relax and take it easy.

If we had time that might have worked. We know that at age 60 and 62, we need to establish ourselves in the "new land", and get going. The longer we waited to put together this whole thing, the more difficult it would be for us, and the more likelyhood we would not have moved at all. And we both realized that a new adventure was the only thing that would keep us growing and keep us young.

We did spread it out.

1. The vacation home was fixed up enough as it could be. The biggest problem was one we did not have the money to fix and that was putting in a $40,000 septic system. We built it from scratch starting in 1998.

2. So we did the work on the main home over a four year period starting in 2007. However, the depression of the housing market, and the fact that having two kids over 25 years in the house, we did very little to keep it up. If we wanted to get the funds that we needed to move we needed to get a certain amount of money, and we needed to stay within our timetable.

3. Renting in the new location was impossible. There are few rental properties there. In fact when we bought the house in 2007, and put it up for rent we had more than 100 inquiries. We actually bought the property 4 years ago in 2007.

The time line was actually kind of condensed. While much of it happened at the end, also much of it was spread over 4 long years.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Imagine trying to all that in a new country--Mexico, say.

I am guessing that you have not moved very often.
If we had moved a lot, we wouldn't have collected so much stuff. But if we had moved a lot, then we wouldn't have a decent pension to go along with SS.

I can't imagine do this in a foreign country. For us that wouldn't be possible.
However, we had thought for awhile of staying in our current house, and buying an expensive sailboat like a 2005 jeanneau SO 40.3 sailboat for sale in Outside United States
and sailing it up and down the east coast and out to Bermuda most of the time.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
In which state are you landing? (Please forgive me if i missed it). I ask because my DH is from MA and would love to retire there. I have suggested ME as a compromise but he is not very interested. He has been coming around a bit lately, willing to look at other locales.

I am sorry you guys have gone through so much. None of it sounds fun.
I'm sorry. I've learned over the years on forums, that it is best to share general information about yourself, but to get specific just invites responses that you don't want. So I won't be sharing other than saying Northern New England near a bit of water to sail a 12 foot sailboat.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

But whaddaya gonna do when all is done?
I'm sorry. I don't understand the question. Could you be more specific?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99

But whaddaya gonna do when all is done?

Amigo, you may have more surprises in your future. Beware of the stobor.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
After the mad rush, problem solving, when all done moving, and the dust settled, then what?

It is a play on the favorite phrase of: But what do you do all day?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hehe, tuff to be a peon after being king.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Do not know what the word "stobor" means.

We've been here now for 5 weeks. All the interior boxes are unpacked. The wood stove arrived and it was installed, and the 3 cords of wood were delivered, so we are toasty warm here in New England.

My wife is now practicing the dulcimer for the dulcimer playing group that she's joined, and I may join too to accompany on the violin.

We seem to have four separate social groups that were are active in:

1. the local continuing education Senior College group, when my wife is taking two courses in the winter term, and I took on the chair of the Equipment and Technology Committee, and will take a course on Consciousness in the Spring term starting in March.

2. Our local Quaker Meeting

3. The dulcimer playing group

4. And eclectic Artist group that meets every Thursday to have pot luck, and talk, and includes professors and students(read that KIDS from mypoint of view) from the local college and other retired people.

And then there is the ongoing effort to get th house and grounds into shape for a possible inflood of summer visitors. And the efforts to refocus my book writing and meditation practice and exercise for hiking the mountains in the spring Summer.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the update. Your life sounds so much calmer now.

Here's to many, many more years of this calmer existence.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote