Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Blood pressure

Since we moved down here to NC from NJ and I knew that I am a short timer with my job my Blood Pressure which had been an issue, I do take meds for it is well running so darn low these last 6 weeks!

My avg now is 111/68. I only take the min 50mg of topril and 5mg prinival.

Then again I am running 10 miles a day and feeling just great.

maybe just moving out of the northeast is better for ones health?

Hey can we move this to the life after fire? I posted in the wrong place??
__________________

__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 961
Re: Blood pressure

I think it's getting out of NJ.
__________________

__________________
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
My avg now is 111/68. I only take the min 50mg of topril and 5mg prinival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
I think it's getting out of NJ.*
I think it's getting out of work, too.

With BPs like that, why are you taking those medications? What are they supposed to do?
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,627
Re: Blood pressure

It's just that you sweat more in NC because it's hotter.

Consider this:
1. You have only so much volume in your arteries and veins and other circulation system organs.
2. Let say you stuff 5 quarts of blood in your body. Maybe you slightly overstuff and that sets your pressure high. Most of that is made of water.
3. Now you sweat away 1 quart of water some of which comes from your blood.
4. Since you have less liquid in your circulation system, it ain't overstuffed anymore and you have lowered your blood pressure.
__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: Blood pressure

Hypertension is caused by a variety of mechanisms. Body water is one, but assuming decent access to water when thirsty, this is controlled not by where you live and sweat (barring real dehydration), but by an intricate cascade of hormones from the kidneys, adrenals, and elsewhere. Other factors include how forcefully the heart beats (like how much pressure is delivered to the faucet), how much the blood vessels are contracted (like narrowings in the hose) or inflexible, diet (salt, potassium, etc. affect hormone output), exercise, and adrenalin and similar chemicals some of which are increased by stress. Obesity and alcohol can also bring about hypertension, in these cases often reversible. White-coat hypertension may be a separate case but is often a harbinger of constant hypertension down the road.

The biggest problem in managing hypertension is that patients refuse or stop taking their medicine. They come in after a couple of months of treatment and their pressure -- finally -- is normal. They sometimes ask why they need to keep taking the medicine and I explain that this is why their pressure is now normal. But with a lack of symptoms they fail to comply. 5 years later: stroke, heart failure, kidney failure etc. start to creep into this population. Not most, but more than necessary.

I'm pretty lean in my approach to management, but I treat BP and cholesterol vigorously and according to the best current evidence. It works. Don't usually need fancy or expensive drugs: hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg is an old standby, cheaper than dirt, and probably still the single most effective agent we have. Only need the big guns when the old standars don't work.

BP will fluctuate quite a bit with stress or loss of stress; it will often stay low for months after stopping BP meds (though some meds are dangerous to stop cold-turkey), and it will just float around quite a bit for unknown reasons. But if you have properly diagnosed hypertension, it will almost alway revert to its elevated levels without treatment. Don't want to get too complacent when it's down for a month or two and if meds are stopped, they often need to be restarted 6 months later.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Re: Blood pressure

Great info, R-in-T!

My blood pressure started to creep up (ave 140/90) for a couple of factors:

* Female hormone, over 40 changes
* A very bad nightly chardonnay habit for 10 years
* 15 lbs overweight - see female, over 40 note

I've been exercising vigorously several times a week for almost 20 years and my BP still crept up. Since dropping alcohol all together and losing 10lbs, my BP is in the 110/70 range. I believe alcohol plus age was a big driver with my high BP readings, although I truly believe the propensity for high BP is in my system. Maybe as I age I'll need meds.


__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Great info, R-in-T!

My blood pressure started to creep up (ave 140/90) for a couple of factors:

* Female hormone, over 40 changes
* A very bad nightly chardonnay habit for 10 years
* 15 lbs overweight - see female, over 40 note

I've been exercising vigorously several times a week for almost 20 years and my BP still crept up. Since dropping alcohol all together and losing 10lbs, my BP is in the 110/70 range. I believe alcohol plus age was a big driver with my high BP readings, although I truly believe the propensity for high BP is in my system. Maybe as I age I'll need meds.
It seems that 10-15% of hypertension is related to alcohol intake. It does not have to be a lot of alcohol - if you are genetically predisposed, just 2-3 glasses (1-2 for smaller women) most days will do it, a level many people otherwise tolerate without any problems.

The good news is that after a period of a couple weeks' abstinence it goes a way and usually you can go back to your wine in moderation without problems.

Yep, Gramma was right: all things in moderation. Well... almost all .
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Hypertension is caused by a variety of mechanisms. Body water is one, but assuming decent access to water when thirsty, this is controlled not by where you live and sweat (barring real dehydration), but by an intricate cascade of hormones from the kidneys, adrenals, and elsewhere. Other factors include how forcefully the heart beats (like how much pressure is delivered to the faucet), how much the blood vessels are contracted (like narrowings in the hose) or inflexible, diet (salt, potassium, etc. affect hormone output), exercise, and adrenalin and similar chemicals some of which are increased by stress. Obesity and alcohol can also bring about hypertension, in these cases often reversible. White-coat hypertension may be a separate case but is often a harbinger of constant hypertension down the road.

The biggest problem in managing hypertension is that patients refuse or stop taking their medicine. They come in after a couple of months of treatment and their pressure -- finally -- is normal. They sometimes ask why they need to keep taking the medicine and I explain that this is why their pressure is now normal. But with a lack of symptoms they fail to comply. 5 years later: stroke, heart failure, kidney failure etc. start to creep into this population. Not most, but more than necessary.

I'm pretty lean in my approach to management, but I treat BP and cholesterol vigorously and according to the best current evidence. It works. Don't usually need fancy or expensive drugs: hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg is an old standby, cheaper than dirt, and probably still the single most effective agent we have. Only need the big guns when the old standars don't work.

BP will fluctuate quite a bit with stress or loss of stress; it will often stay low for months after stopping BP meds (though some meds are dangerous to stop cold-turkey), and it will just float around quite a bit for unknown reasons. But if you have properly diagnosed hypertension, it will almost alway revert to its elevated levels without treatment. Don't want to get too complacent when it's down for a month or two and if meds are stopped, they often need to be restarted 6 months later.
Nothing has changed except I moved. seriously, the running in the heat, yep it was also hot in NJ last summer.

The medications WORK, so I keep taking them. My doc has at times cut the prinival ace inhib, to 2.5 but it would start to creep up.

When I left in June my BP was on avg with medication 134/82 high times and 128/76 low average.

Since I moved down here on june 28th and made a decision to RE as of jan 1 my pressure is avg the last 6 weeks in that 110/68 range. I even feel more relaxed, maybe it really is the lifestyle down here. My wife thinks it might a bit to do with no more 120 mile round trips in the car driving down interstate 78 in NJ and that my mtg and real estate taxes went from 2200 a month to 595 a month.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

The good news is that after a period of a couple weeks' abstinence it goes a way and usually you can go back to your wine in moderation without problems.
I can't. Even one glass these days causes mild tachycardia after 2-3 hours , which is the other reason why I quit.
__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I can't. Even one glass these days causes mild tachycardia after 2-3 hours , which is the other reason why I quit.
Oh man that stinks!

I love a couple of bers a nice few glasses of wine good premium tequilla or scotch.

Life as they say is too short.

I feel for ya cube!
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I can't.* Even one glass these days causes mild tachycardia after 2-3 hours* , which is the other reason why I quit.*
Hey Rich, what causes this? I find my heart pounds a lot if I drink more than a few beers.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Hey Rich, what causes this? I find my heart pounds a lot if I drink more than a few beers.........
Alcohol, and more particularly the reduction or withdrawal from alcohol, causes the autonomic nervous system to become overactive, almost as if it was rebounding from being smashed. This is the involuntary nervous system that controls heart rate, BP, temperature, etc.

Rapid heart rate comes largely from that. Everyone's threshold is different. Some people "feel" palpitations when their heart beats faster than usual, and others don't. If you're prone to extra beats (premature contractions), they can temporarily become more noticeable, too.

Generalizing grossly, you metabolize about a drink an hour (male). If you drink more than that, you will get drunker by the hour slowly or not, depending on intake. Size matters, so to speak. Food slows absorption down but it all gets in there. Alcohol gets from the stomach to the blood directly (doesn't have to pass through the intestines to get absorbed), hence you can get a buzz in very few minutes.

Non-heavy drinkers metabolize alcohol at about 20mg/dl/hr. Legally drunk is often defined as 80 mg/dl (faster if your a heavy hitter). One drink (1.5 oz oe ETOH) raises your blood alcohol level about 25-30mg/dl, peaking about 45 minutes after ingestion. So if you have a blood alcohol of 80, you have had a lot to drink: 4 in an hour plus 1 more for the one that got metabolized, for example, though this varies widely with individuals.

And this concludes our digression for the day.

__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I find my heart pounds* a lot if I drink more than a few beers....
I thought this was related to the beer-goggle phenomenon.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 322
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
. Don't usually need fancy or expensive drugs: hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg is an old standby, cheaper than dirt, and probably still the single most effective agent we have. Only need the big guns when the old standars don't work.
Note that the drug is a "water pill" and works similar to what LOL discribes.
I wonder if while your adjusting to a new climate if there might be a "sweat" factor ? Since your body needs some time to adjust the system may not be as efficient

I would imagine your diet may also have improved as well since your not on the road.
__________________
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 08-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyrdpd
Note that the drug is a "water pill" and works similar to what LOL discribes.
I wonder if while your adjusting to a new climate if there might be a "sweat" factor ? Since your body needs some time to adjust the system may not be as efficient
Hydrochlorothiazide: it's a diuretic but only for a couple of weeks. After that, it stops being diuretic but continues to lower blood pressure through a direct relaxing effect on the "smooth" muscles which control the tightness of the arteries. If you stop it for a while and restart, the whole cycle repeats.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 24
Re: Blood pressure

Spent lots of time doing Renal Clearances and using HCTZ as the standard by which we measured other stuff. It may be Old, but it is still very effective.

After I left my job, I lost 40 lbs & BP went from averaging 140/90 (with treatment) to about 115/70.
Getting rid of that incredible stress the last few years of the job made a huge difference in my life.
Part of the reason was having time to do gym, but I give alot of the credit to the stress reduction.
__________________
LIPhotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
Re: Blood pressure

went from 170/95 to 120/70 wth just diet and exercise change..havent needed the blood pressure med in 6 years..the 6 days a week working out though in order to maintain it is a real drag at this point.i feel like the hampster on the tread mill.
* we go to the gym daily and rotate between cardio one day and weights the next.after 6 years its like im not sure which is worse the high blood pressure high triglycerides or the constant soreness and time devoted to the gym...i think we already spent more time exercising than the exercise extended our lives* *ha ha ha ha
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 09-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Blood pressure

If you have constant soreness, you're working too hard, and not getting enough recovery time...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: Blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
went from 170/95 to 120/70 wth just diet and exercise change..havent needed the blood pressure med in 6 years..the 6 days a week working out though in order to maintain it is a real drag at this point.i feel like the hampster on the tread mill.
we go to the gym daily and rotate between cardio one day and weights the next.after 6 years its like im not sure which is worse the high blood pressure high triglycerides or the constant soreness and time devoted to the gym...i think we already spent more time exercising than the exercise extended our lives ha ha ha ha
You'll max out on the BP benefits of exercise with just 2-3 moderate sessions a week, or even half an hour a day most days. Relax. If it's still elevated take a pill. Live your life.

And consider whether the personality traits that lead you to work out to the point of constant soreness and misery might be contributing to your high blood pressure. Really.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Blood pressure
Old 09-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
Re: Blood pressure

i need to do the cardio every other day because of my tryglicerides.the best way to describe it is genetically i have a stuck float.normally the blood levels hit a certain point and the triglycerides are processed and converted to body fat if not burned.my levels can hit 1,000 easily if i dont burn them at least every other day..as far as soreness if your doing any weight lifting routine worth doing and not just going thru the motions of what you can already do than i find at our age there is always some little ache or pain somewhere.just a fact of life i guess* that comes with aging
__________________

__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
home blood pressure testing Michael Moore Health and Early Retirement 28 11-08-2007 09:41 AM
Blood Pressure Question DangerMouse Health and Early Retirement 6 04-10-2007 01:40 AM
Credit record, blood pressure, and health insurance kramer Health and Early Retirement 34 02-23-2007 04:24 PM
RESPeRATE for High Blood Pressure? gindie Other topics 3 10-29-2006 11:33 AM
Blood Pressure & White Coat Syndrome cube_rat Other topics 11 06-27-2006 01:01 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.