Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't mean to sound critical! I know you can afford it, and so why not.

Oh - I didn’t find your post critical! Getting a high end phone like that IS blowing the dough.

And I already had my list ready. :D

Sent some goodies to prepare for arrival of first GC. :dance:

Congrats!

Our new niece or nephew should be 3 weeks old when we arrive in Amsterdam. Any hints as what might be a nice baby gift that we can bring from the states?

Or any website to go shopping?

There must be some nice baby stores around here but I honestly have no clue as to what they are.

Just booked our tickets to Europe for this Fall. Nothing planned but Slovinia, Italy and France is on the radar.

DH is at it again!

Last night he ordered a 256G iPhone X

Yikes. When Megacorp wanted their phone back a few months ago it was the first time I needed to buy a cell phone (corp was great about casual personal use so I've never had a personal cell phone). I figured I'd get the latest and greatest iPhone X.

Then we realized that 1) DW needed a refresh of her iPhone 5; 2) iPhone X's were weird with face recognition, no home button, etc., and 3) we could get 2 iPhone 8s for the price of one (~$750 total for two phones) with a special that Verizon was running. So we got two 8s for less than the price of one X and lived happily ever after...

Yikes. When Megacorp wanted their phone back a few months ago it was the first time I needed to buy a cell phone (corp was great about casual personal use so I've never had a personal cell phone). I figured I'd get the latest and greatest iPhone X.

Then we realized that 1) DW needed a refresh of her iPhone 5; 2) iPhone X's were weird with face recognition, no home button, etc., and 3) we could get 2 iPhone 8s for the price of one (~$750 total for two phones) with a special that Verizon was running. So we got two 8s for less than the price of one X and lived happily ever after...
Fortunately my iPhone SE is still new enough that I don’t need a refresh. And until they come up with a newer 4” model there is nothing to refresh with anyway.

Glad you both got new phones! Sounds like Verizon has a great deal. I suppose there are strings attached.

DH got the SIM-free version.

Having the new cabinets delivered tomorrow from the custom cabinet maker. Re-modeling my office...I had that old ikea stuff for 18 years and now I'm going upscale. I did the paint/drywall/electrical work myself, saving about $2,000. I'll have to pay the cabinet guy about $9,500 tomorrow....but it will be worth it. During FIRE I will be spending a lot more time in the office planning how to spend our money and travel!

Purchased a Mercator map ... while DW is away on a business trip.

All I need to do now is explain it's presence on the wall when she gets back. :angel:

I just bought 60 boxes of laminate flooring from Costco, and laminate floor cutter, installation kits, jig saw etc...

I am ready to remodel my Oregon home.

A few years ago, I did 3 of the upstairs bedrooms with laminate flooring. No knee pads, no ibuprofen. But I was not even 60 then. No problem! No back ache, nothin'.

Last edited:
… and ibuprofen. Lots of ibuprofen. Don't ask me how I know

Yes folks, kneepads, ibuprofen. I removed the base board the carpet in the master bedroom and hallway yesterday, more rooms today. All I can't say is it was hard to sleep last night :)

As a long time hobbyist woodworker, I'm getting ready to upgrade my old and faithful table saw to a new SawStop. Yes, it's more expensive saw and no I don't NEED it but after years of LBOM I can afford it. It's safety features are cheap insurance against the future, older me having a momentary lapse of safety judgement and losing a finger.

If you're not a woodworker and don't know what I'm taking about, here is a brief 20 sec demo.

That saw is amazing to watch. I've never lost any body parts to power equipment (yet!) but I know people who have. I'd think a major customer for saws like that would be middle and high school shop classes.

Hope you also bought a good set of knee pads...
I wore out a set doing my laminate floor. However, it was well worth it. A nice, affordable project with a huge impact, and very LBYM. Real estate snobs will turn up their nose, but most of my friends think it is hardwood. And I love the easy maintenance.

I finished the bedrooms upstair, a smooth transition from one room to another. It does look like real hardwood, it certainly helps DW and DS's allergy.

Yeah, knee pads help my knees. But but my entire body hurts (back, arms, thighs).

I think I will rest this weekend, and resume next week for the rest of the house.

IMG_0971.jpg

Last edited:
That flooring is absolutely beautiful, Neihn!!! Good job, and good selection too. Yes, it's time for some R&R until your body feels recovered from all that hard work.

PS, I rotated your photo and will attach it here.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Just ordered a 5th wheel camper. Enjoyed camping for many years in a pop up, then just never found the time. Now that DW and I are both part time, we are hoping do do some more camping. With any luck we can retire in a couple years and really put it to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom