Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I spent money on in January, that I don't spend money on every month, were some batteries and no-tie shoelaces for a total of $17.03.

So, I'm not blowing that dough too well yet. But who knows what the future will bring... :D

I started “blowing the dough” last year and plan to continue as long as the market cooperates. Lots of reno’s, extra travel, clothes, art, watches, gift to daughter for house purchase, new boat, sea-do’s, come to mind. Maybe 15-20% bump.

We made some big purchases in January. New car with all the safety features for my DW who is out a lot since we live about an hour away from most shopping and other needs. I bought a laser engraver and a 3D printer, printer won’t arrive until April. Taking my hobbies to a new level, lol.

Coming up on being retired 2 years and under budget for both years. We'll be spending 10k on travel this, 2 new sets of golf clubs and some home improvements. Next year I'll replace our 8 yr old Subaru and planning a month long trip to Alaska.

DS is getting married in September so I plan to blow some dough. I started looking at new cars but ultimately decided to hang on to my 8 year old Lexus until the old dogs kick off and are not around to drool on the rear arm rests anymore.

Planning on buying a car (which is completely unnecessary where I live given the great public transport system). Sold some shares last week to cover the cost ... but rented out my car parking space for a year and have to wait until October to get it back. Nine months to procrastinate and talk myself out of it.

I'm going to replace my 15 Horse Johnson outboard motor with a brand new Evinrude 9.8 4-stroke.

Every 40 years you should update your outboard motor...I'll be set now til I'm 93.

I started “blowing the dough” last year and plan to continue as long as the market cooperates. Lots of reno’s, extra travel, clothes, art, watches, gift to daughter for house purchase, new boat, sea-do’s, come to mind. Maybe 15-20% bump.

Yes, my “blowing the dough” was also giving money to my daughter for down payment for a new home in January. That is why i have saved so much, and will continue to do so. That is my biggest thrill, being able to do things like that for my daughters.

Another house reno. I’m tearing out all flooring on the main floor and replacing bedroom carpeting and hardwood everywhere else. Probably a new roof as well. Maybe a cnc machine or laser engraver. And a couple of road trips.

Have been looking at a $190k toy storage barn, but that’s a bit excessive.

Went crazy yesterday and picked up a Snap-on FHD80 3/8" ratchet and a locking 10" Matco 3/8" extension. $6. I love yard sales.

WOW. Talk about flooding through cash.

New truck, $75K
Used Fifth wheel $38K
New roof on a rental $27K
Fix ceiling caused by roof leak $2.5K
New windows in a rental $15K
2 months in FL $6K
FL house $50K

Luckily I have not had to tap any investment funds yet. That's what a credit card and a HELOC is for, to smooth out the rough edges of my financial life... It's $0 now, and it will probably be $50K soon.

Last edited:
Looks sweet for travel, esp. at clearance pricing.

I'm unfamiliar with Windows-based tablets, as I've only worked with Androids. Will you be loading MS Office suite? How do other apps work on this, as most seem to be for Android or Apple units?

omni

It is a full-blown Windows 10 PC. Comes with Office Mobile which is apparently a light, touch-enbabled version of Office. I've opened a number of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets with it and it seems to work fine.

You can put any Windows program or app you want on it. I installed LibreOffice as a backup for Office Mobile

It runs 32 bit Win10 which is how it gets away with only 2 Gb of RAM. It is not fast, but not too slow either. I had a spare 32 Gb microSD card that I popped in to it so now have room for some media if I choose.

Last year I bought a similar Chuwi tablet to take on my 6-week European trek.

I took a chance on this unknown brand after seeing so many raving reviews. It has 4GB of RAM and 64GB of SSD. It's dual-boot Win10/Android.

After the trip, I have not used it much, preferring my regular-sized laptop. For travel, the diminutive tablet is awesome. With its detachable keyboard, it works just like any laptop.

PS. The little screen boasts 1920 resolution, so everything is there. You need good eyes to see it. :)

PPS. I need Windows 10 as I have to look at all of my accounts using Quicken, even during travel. If it had GPS built-in, it would be better for map display than a smartphone due to the larger screen. I did not investigate using Bluetooth to transfer GPS data from a phone to it. There might be an app to do this.

PPS. Just now, turned it on to take a look. The little thing even runs 64-bit Windows! My record says I paid $233 with the optional keyboard. It should be even cheaper now.

Last edited:
Going to blow $33k to pay off the HELOC because the fixed rate expires next January. Won't blow it all at once, just $3k a month.

Just finishing up 6 days stay at a resort on the ocean: $444/night during renovations to our condo.

If you have plenty of surplus cash, and believe that some chattel or experience will add significant pleasure to your life or someone else’s, then why hold back? As we all know, ‘you can’t take it with you’.

While hyper-consumption and overspending are rife in Western society, I suspect that the majority of the people on this board continue to LBYM beyond FIRE and if anything are too reluctant to spend their money; this certainly applies to me. Old habits die hard, even when we are aware that they no longer make sense.

:D ;)

After 23/4 ish years of ER - I'm thinking. I'm thinking.

heh heh heh - plus the farm auction last year added to the stash. It's mental. :greetings10:

Good for you! I love my 4K OLED TV.

Gonna get married this year, do the inside home improvement thing and buy me a Lincoln Continental - :)

Congrats on the marriage,so nice you found happiness again, that's worth more then all the money in the world..:flowers:

Yes, my “blowing the dough” was also giving money to my daughter for down payment for a new home in January. That is why i have saved so much, and will continue to do so. That is my biggest thrill, being able to do things like that for my daughters.

Agree. It’s great to help the kid out. This was actually the second such gift to her. Gave her a bunch of appreciated stock a few years ago, but the Toronto real estate market kept going up such that I needed to give her some more. Hopefully she buys a place this year and we can be done with it.

Last year I bought a similar Chuwi tablet to take on my 6-week European trek.

I took a chance on this unknown brand after seeing so many raving reviews. It has 4GB of RAM and 64GB of SSD. It's dual-boot Win10/Android.

After the trip, I have not used it much, preferring my regular-sized laptop. For travel, the diminutive tablet is awesome. With its detachable keyboard, it works just like any laptop.

PS. The little screen boasts 1920 resolution, so everything is there. You need good eyes to see it. :)

PPS. I need Windows 10 as I have to look at all of my accounts using Quicken, even during travel. If it had GPS built-in, it would be better for map display than a smartphone due to the larger screen. I did not investigate using Bluetooth to transfer GPS data from a phone to it. There might be an app to do this.

PPS. Just now, turned it on to take a look. The little thing even runs 64-bit Windows! My record says I paid $233 with the optional keyboard. It should be even cheaper now.

IIRC this is the unit you purchased (I had put it on my wishlist)...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0308HO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3N72LLCTBPGNM&colid=10S803YPW02KL&psc=0

$224.99 plus $45.88 for the optional keyboard, atm. :(

omni

What? It goes up in price. That's totally anti-societal, backwards, anti-progressive. Somebody, alert the authorities.

Oh well, the higher price allows you to blow off more dough. Gotta think of the positive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom