Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post

actually the LBYM thing was getting a little old no? This is a refreshing change. But I don’t think it will last long.
I agree it is refreshing.

Maybe it will last longer. Hopefully folks have extracted a bit extra from the recent bull run and won’t be scared out of spending it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:03 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Travel, baby, travel. Splurging big this year on a guided photo tour of Patagonia.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
After 15 years, I only have to survive another 15 to go to validate FireCalc! So far, it seems to be wrong.
In my case, only on the 6th year of retirement but I see it would be difficult to prove FIRECalc wrong. The range of outcomes is so huge that at my demise my stash should fall somewhere in that range.

Of course WWIII may break out, then all bets are off.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

When I die, bury me in my straight-leg britches
Put on a box-back coat and a Stetson hat
Put a twenty-dollar gold piece on my watch chain
So you can let all the boys know I died standing pat
Old 02-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

iTunes gift card deal at Costco.com - additional 10% off what already is discounted 5-7.5% (depending on how large a card). Comes out to 17.5% off on the $200 gift card, a bit less on the smaller denominations.

This is how I load up my iTunes store credit which covers my streaming subscriptions, music and iBooks.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Imma gonna turn the heat back down to 67.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Imma gonna turn the heat back down to 67.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

That was fun for a little while...
Old 02-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Of course WWIII may break out, then all bets are off.
"Don't be afraid of buying on a war scare": Philip Fisher, Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits (1958).
Old 02-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Depends on where you are.

If you were too busy dodging bullets and bombs, or evacuating from the advancing enemy like much of the world in WWII, you forgot to buy stocks, even if the exchanges were still open.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Depends on where you are.

If you were too busy dodging bullets and bombs, or evacuating from the advancing enemy like much of the world in WWII, you forgot to buy stocks, even if the exchanges were still open.

The internet was down...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
You've got that right, truck prices are insane. Can't believe that the $12k Frontier I had 20 years ago is double that price now. Yeah it's a bigger truck but it's not any nicer, just twice as much.

I need to replace my 15-year old car too but am having a hard time pulling the trigger even though I have plenty of money to buy anything I want. LBYM got me to FIRE and it's still grabbing me hard 3 years after I ER'd. Plus I'm not even putting 200 miles a month on my old dog which makes it even harder to justify when the old dog won't die.
I bought a F150 a couple years ago, the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought. Then again, I lost more $ on both Friday and today than what the truck cost me....and then some.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm in this game too. Finally decided I was old enough to treat myself to a high end car and I'll be going to Sweden next month to pick up a new Volvo XC60. We'll drive it around western Sweden for a bit, then turn it in and let them ship it home for me.

Volvo's Overseas Delivery (OSD) program is really amazing. Not only do they give you a sizable discount from MSRP, you also get two free SAS tickets to Sweden and a night in a top hotel. Plus the free shipment and no dealer prep charge.

We'll be spending a few days in each of Copenhagen, Gothenburg, and Stockholm, so it'll be a fun trip, even in March.

But the "blow that dough" aspect is that it will be roughly twice what my last car cost. Doesn't bother me a bit, since I feel I've reached the age when I'm allowed to do what I want.
Very cool
Old 02-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
We are going to San Fran and Phoenix this fall. We are Oakland Raiders fans and have a tradition of going to 2 games/year at away cities. Our goal is to see them play at every NFL city. We have been to 19 cities, and after this year it will be 21.

I enjoy hi-performance cars...so while in San Fran I'm considering one of the ultra-exotic car drive experiences. There are two basic flavors:

1) YOu get to drive a few exotic cars on city streets for about 30 minutes each...trading cars with others in your "group" so you each get to drive all the cars. Upside is that you get to try 3-4 cars, downside is that you don't get to accelerate or attain high speeds.

2) YOu can pick one car and drive it at sustained high speeds around a track designated for the event. Upside is that you get to "race" the car and experience the full potential. Downside is you only get a few laps, in one car...and the whole thing is over in about 30 minutes.

Which would you do and why?

That's going to be my "blow the dough" for 2018...either event costs about $1,200-$1,500. Not super expensive, but certainly not a necessity.
I participated in something very similar to #1 back in 2007. I was invited by a company I did business with to an event in Santa Fe, NM, which included a 1/2 day of driving a Lambourghini, Ferrari, Mercedes SLR, and a couple of others that escape me now. We drove through the mountains outside of Santa Fe. The company that provided the vehicles (IIRC it was called Ultimate Driving Experience) had a lead car and a tail car looking out for highway patrol, so we could drive pretty fast (I was over 100 mph a few times), subject to the curves of the mountain highway, which certainly added to the exhilaration. That was one of the funnest days I've had in a long time. We drove in pairs and switched off after about 20 minutes or so.

I also attended the Skip Barber Racing School at Laguna Seca, which was a two-day course. It was probably the most exciting two days I can remember having. That was a Christmas present from DW prior to the birth of our first child.

Back to your question, based on my Santa Fe experience I would go with #1, even if its only on city streets.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I have teenage kids...Blowing the dough seems like a never-ending ordeal...
Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Wait until you get to blow your dough on college costs.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wait until you get to blow your dough on college costs.
Not looking forward to it. Our son is a sophomore and at this point wants to go to Berkeley as a non-resident. Ouch...
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #98
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdude View Post
Not looking forward to it. Our son is a sophomore and at this point wants to go to Berkeley as a non-resident. Ouch...
Ouch is right. Good luck with that.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #99

Sounds like a nice place, and convenient to all parts of the greater NYC area. Tuition shouldn't be outrageous, either.

Quote:
Berkeley College has campuses in New York, New Jersey, and online.
College Degrees | NJ & NY Degree & Certificate Programs | Campus or Online at Berkeley
Old 02-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
After 15 years, I only have to survive another 15 to go to validate FireCalc! So far, it seems to be wrong.
I have earmarked $15k for improvements to our snowbird condo and some expensive side trips. Probably going to outstrip last year's budget by 30 % or so. And then there is the corrections to make it look worse!

OTOH that mortality assumption might be wrong too. 15 more years would take me to 90!