Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
If you have plenty of surplus cash, and believe that some chattel or experience will add significant pleasure to your life or someone else’s, then why hold back? As we all know, ‘you can’t take it with you’...
+1

I simply do not crave or desire anything at the moment. Maybe I will think of something. Or not.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I needed a new laptop to travel with for my new consulting gig so I went all out and spent $180 (with tax) for an Acer One 10 like this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-on...?skuId=5854911.

Hmm, it dropped another $10 since I bought it a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I had already ordered an $800 Dell laptop from Amazon, but it had not shipped yet and I decided that the little Acer was all I needed for travel so I cancelled that order. I guess I need to blow another $600 of that dough...

BTW, it is a really nice convertible laptop/tablet for the price, I really like the IPS screen and it has a Micro SD slot to add memory.
Looks sweet for travel, esp. at clearance pricing.

I'm unfamiliar with Windows-based tablets, as I've only worked with Androids. Will you be loading MS Office suite? How do other apps work on this, as most seem to be for Android or Apple units?

omni
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Whatever that I can get, all I can think of is the hassle that it brings, more than the pleasure that comes with it.

I am having fun designing some homebrew gadgets for my electronics hobby, and thought of upgrading to some fancier chips. The additional cost is only a few bucks for an extremely more powerful chip. The joy of getting something to work is worth more to me than experiencing a certain "ludicrous acceleration" in a car, which I absolutely do not care for.

However, it is overkill for my project, and think of the hassle of writing software for it, after I get through soldering it by hand. It is not worth the elation of getting it to work. Gah! If I work that hard for a hobby, might as well go back to work where somebody pays me for the effort.

In other words, right now, what makes me happy does not cost much at all.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Went shopping for a new truck today to replace the old one that's 14 years old. Wow, if you're ever in the mood to blow some dough just go look at a new truck!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I guess in our case we’re upgrading. So we’re getting rid of the old one. Not extra stuff - newer better stuff.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Went shopping for a new truck today to replace the old one that's 14 years old. Wow, if you're ever in the mood to blow some dough just go look at a new truck!
I bet!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Good for you! I love my 4K OLED TV.

Gonna get married this year, do the inside home improvement thing and buy me a Lincoln Continental -

Honeymoon?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The only thing I spent money on in January, that I don't spend money on every month, were some batteries and no-tie shoelaces for a total of $17.03.

So, I'm not blowing that dough too well yet. But who knows what the future will bring...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #29

I started “blowing the dough” last year and plan to continue as long as the market cooperates. Lots of reno’s, extra travel, clothes, art, watches, gift to daughter for house purchase, new boat, sea-do’s, come to mind. Maybe 15-20% bump.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We made some big purchases in January. New car with all the safety features for my DW who is out a lot since we live about an hour away from most shopping and other needs. I bought a laser engraver and a 3D printer, printer won’t arrive until April. Taking my hobbies to a new level, lol.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Coming up on being retired 2 years and under budget for both years. We'll be spending 10k on travel this, 2 new sets of golf clubs and some home improvements. Next year I'll replace our 8 yr old Subaru and planning a month long trip to Alaska.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

DS is getting married in September so I plan to blow some dough. I started looking at new cars but ultimately decided to hang on to my 8 year old Lexus until the old dogs kick off and are not around to drool on the rear arm rests anymore.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 AM   #33

Planning on buying a car (which is completely unnecessary where I live given the great public transport system). Sold some shares last week to cover the cost ... but rented out my car parking space for a year and have to wait until October to get it back. Nine months to procrastinate and talk myself out of it.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #34

I'm going to replace my 15 Horse Johnson outboard motor with a brand new Evinrude 9.8 4-stroke.

Every 40 years you should update your outboard motor...I'll be set now til I'm 93.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I started “blowing the dough” last year and plan to continue as long as the market cooperates. Lots of reno’s, extra travel, clothes, art, watches, gift to daughter for house purchase, new boat, sea-do’s, come to mind. Maybe 15-20% bump.
Yes, my “blowing the dough” was also giving money to my daughter for down payment for a new home in January. That is why i have saved so much, and will continue to do so. That is my biggest thrill, being able to do things like that for my daughters.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Blow that Dough! - 2018

Another house reno. I’m tearing out all flooring on the main floor and replacing bedroom carpeting and hardwood everywhere else. Probably a new roof as well. Maybe a cnc machine or laser engraver. And a couple of road trips.

Have been looking at a $190k toy storage barn, but that’s a bit excessive.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Went crazy yesterday and picked up a Snap-on FHD80 3/8" ratchet and a locking 10" Matco 3/8" extension. $6. I love yard sales.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #38

WOW. Talk about flooding through cash.

New truck, $75K
Used Fifth wheel $38K
New roof on a rental $27K
Fix ceiling caused by roof leak $2.5K
New windows in a rental $15K
2 months in FL $6K
FL house $50K

Luckily I have not had to tap any investment funds yet. That's what a credit card and a HELOC is for, to smooth out the rough edges of my financial life... It's $0 now, and it will probably be $50K soon.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Looks sweet for travel, esp. at clearance pricing.

I'm unfamiliar with Windows-based tablets, as I've only worked with Androids. Will you be loading MS Office suite? How do other apps work on this, as most seem to be for Android or Apple units?

omni
It is a full-blown Windows 10 PC. Comes with Office Mobile which is apparently a light, touch-enbabled version of Office. I've opened a number of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets with it and it seems to work fine.

You can put any Windows program or app you want on it. I installed LibreOffice as a backup for Office Mobile

It runs 32 bit Win10 which is how it gets away with only 2 Gb of RAM. It is not fast, but not too slow either. I had a spare 32 Gb microSD card that I popped in to it so now have room for some media if I choose.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Last year I bought a similar Chuwi tablet to take on my 6-week European trek.

I took a chance on this unknown brand after seeing so many raving reviews. It has 4GB of RAM and 64GB of SSD. It's dual-boot Win10/Android.

After the trip, I have not used it much, preferring my regular-sized laptop. For travel, the diminutive tablet is awesome. With its detachable keyboard, it works just like any laptop.

PS. The little screen boasts 1920 resolution, so everything is there. You need good eyes to see it.

PPS. I need Windows 10 as I have to look at all of my accounts using Quicken, even during travel. If it had GPS built-in, it would be better for map display than a smartphone due to the larger screen. I did not investigate using Bluetooth to transfer GPS data from a phone to it. There might be an app to do this.

PPS. Just now, turned it on to take a look. The little thing even runs 64-bit Windows! My record says I paid $233 with the optional keyboard. It should be even cheaper now.

Closed Thread