Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I just spent two weeks clearing out my mom's apartment. It renewed my vow to avoid buying anything but consumables. This retired guy won't be blowing his dough on stuff that he can't consume. No way.

That’s a great idea!
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I just spent two weeks clearing out my mom's apartment. It renewed my vow to avoid buying anything but consumables. This retired guy won't be blowing his dough on stuff that he can't consume. No way.
Oh, one can blow a lot of dough on consumables. Caviar, kobe beef, jamón ibérico, XO cognac, foie gras, truffle...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, one can blow a lot of dough on consumables. Caviar, kobe beef, jamón ibérico, XO cognac, foie gras, truffle...
Don't forget grass fed beef, cheese, and butter .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

He's at the stage in life where he just wants someone else to come and take care of things and be done with it. He likes electrical work but has a long standing hate for plumbing, so seeing a leak just activates his "blow that dough" button to have someone come and make it all go away.
I think he and I might be cousins. I've always hated plumbing, it always took at least three, and more often five, trips to the hardware store for tools and fittings. The whole task became an exercise in frustration. It is so nice to be at the stage where I can just call somebody and my only involvement is writing the check.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've always hated plumbing, it always took at least three, and more often five, trips to the hardware store for tools and fittings.
Completely normal. I'm an inveterate DIY-er and I fully subscribe to the ironclad rule that any plumbing job requires three trips to the store. It never fails.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Best Motto

My friend gave me a framed motto, & I have taken it to heart:
DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!

I now strive to perfect the art of self-indulgence.
sallie50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #27

$402 on my kids textbooks
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
$402 on my kids textbooks

That’s a bargain!
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #29

Building a new house this year. mid-six figures
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #30

14 day mediterranean cruise in October on Seabourn Cruise line. All suite ship. $15k before airfare which will probably be another $11k for biz class. Probably a few days in Paris on the front or back end. Probably $29-30k when all is said and done.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #31

55mm Laco Nav B-Uhr pilot watch, limited edition. Been looking for one for a while.

$2800, so it fits the blow category.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #32

DW and I were tired of our 2 couches and gave it them to the kids. We have been looking around trying to get a feel/idea and have had a few "designers" stop by to chime in. We stopped at the King of Prussia Mall near Philly 2 weeks ago, and about choked on the price of an handmade Italian leather couch that sold for $16,000! Then I had to add 5% for freight/shipping! Boy am I glad the dollar is strong! I haven't paid that much money for a car in the past 12 years!!!

No, we didn't purchase.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
DW and I were tired of our 2 couches and gave it them to the kids. We have been looking around trying to get a feel/idea and have had a few "designers" stop by to chime in. We stopped at the King of Prussia Mall near Philly 2 weeks ago, and about choked on the price of an handmade Italian leather couch that sold for $16,000! Then I had to add 5% for freight/shipping! Boy am I glad the dollar is strong! I haven't paid that much money for a car in the past 12 years!!!

No, we didn't purchase.
Well you need to go right back there and purchase it! I absolutely love my $2,000 Italian leather easy chair with ottoman that I bought four years ago (commercial photo of it below), and to me it has a lot of value. Some day I might buy the matching sofa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EasyChairHurwitzMintzDalton.jpg (61.0 KB, 97 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #34

That's a nice chair, and that's what I'm looking for, I think. DW will tell me what I like!

But you got 2 pieces with your $2,000.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a nice chair, and that's what I'm looking for, I think. DW will tell me what I like!

But you got 2 pieces with your $2,000.
Yes I did, so maybe it isn't as high quality as the sofa you looked at. But it sure is sturdy and durable.

I am sure you and your DW will be able to find a compromise solution of some kind. Being single, all I had to do was to find what I wanted and then pay for it, which was easier because I didn't have to work out a compromise.

I just went to the website of the store where I bought it (Hurwitz Mintz here in New Orleans), and they don't carry it any more. So they don't carry the sofa either, any more. Oh well! One less expense for now. I'd rather have a mismatching sofa than to give up this chair which I value greatly.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well you need to go right back there and purchase it! I absolutely love my $2,000 Italian leather easy chair with ottoman that I bought four years ago (commercial photo of it below), and to me it has a lot of value. Some day I might buy the matching sofa.
What a beautiful chair and ottoman! The best seat in the house! We also have a (less-nice) leather easy chair and ottoman and having the ottoman makes me feel rich for some reason.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What a beautiful chair and ottoman! The best seat in the house! We also have a (less-nice) leather easy chair and ottoman and having the ottoman makes me feel rich for some reason.
Thank you! I love my chair so much. Nobody else gets to sit in it (like Archie Bunker's chair, in that respect). And, I never sit anywhere else in my den. I much prefer an ottoman to a Laz-y-Boy mechanism because I seem to have a talent for jamming the latter beyond repair.

Previously I got a cheap sofa, loveseat, chair, and ottoman, all for $949. I still have the sofa and loveseat, but the chair only lasted a couple of years. Since most of the wear and tear for me is usually inflicted on the chair, I bought the above sturdy and comfortable one as a big splurge in 2015.

This was RIGHT before my Dream Home came on the market, just a week and a half later. When I saw the For Sale sign in front of my Dream Home, the first words out of my mouth were an anguished "Oh no, why NOW?" because I had just spent so much on that chair. But it all worked out nicely.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Stumbled onto the Costco Traeger display a couple of weeks ago and bought me the entry level Junior Elite 20. That wasn't really much of a splurge. But if I get hooked I'll probably splurge on a larger one.

It's done some very nice cooking so far. Some outrageously delicious food! - baby back ribs and a smoked chicken.

I was in the market for a smoker, just hadn't really considered a pellet grill before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2473small.jpg (183.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2478 small.jpg (166.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2491 small.jpg (176.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #39

Quote:

No, we didn't purchase.

Italian furniture is very expensive but nice quality. Natuzzi makes quality modern looking sofas. They are still quite expensive, but probably not $16K. Of course it depends on the size, style and color you want.

We paid a big premium for our dining room chairs which are upholstered in leather because of their style (also Italian). The leather they use is the same leather that goes into Ferrari’s so they were pricey, but we were able to get the unusual color we wanted. They are very comfortable and stylish too.

I think letting DW choose the sofa is a good idea. [emoji6] If you’re up for spending big bucks and you like modern style, check out Roche Bobois. They have some very nice sofas and sectionals. Long lead times as everything comes from France.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
So far $$
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

So far $$

This was going to be a slower travel and expense year. Right!
First trip to Banff. Rock from the mtn got the roof corner on a new rental. Few $$ there. DW found another arctic coat and another 1k.

Trips between now and Apr include Beijing, Tucson, Italy with multiple stops and Nashville. Got another Beijing trip in October and Orlando, then a Dubai trip in Nov. thinking about Sydney for New Years.

2018 found us in 15 countries and some of them up to four times.

Guess we aren’t slowing down.

GW
Global Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote