Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
That is a neat surprise. But be prepared for the question: You spent HOW MUCH?

In all honesty, I am still spending down frequent flyer miles (down to about 125,000). Once in a while I find the difference between coach and FC to be such a deal, I just tell DW, "that's all they had".

We are back from the trip - it was a great surprise to them. They enjoyed it a lot. DW did not balk when she found out the price - she figures I know what I am doing . The main reason son enjoyed it was that he got to see Jerry Rice in first class.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Major (LOL) expenses planned for 2019

Replace 20 yo kitchen floor: ~2k
First new bicycle in decades: ~750
(including stand, helmet and (maybe) car rack)
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just finished booking a trip to Europe. It includes two flights, two cruises, 2.5 months in Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany, then four nights in NYC for some Broadway shows before flying back to the west coast. We will indulge in VRBOs, Hotels, car rentals, trains, ubers, food, beer and wine and a few gifts for friends and family - ouch!!!

I keep reminding myself that this is why we scrimped and saved during our working years. It is really weird to be spending like this after living so frugally for so long.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We just finished booking a trip to Europe. It includes two flights, two cruises, 2.5 months in Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria and Germany, then four nights in NYC for some Broadway shows before flying back to the west coast. We will indulge in VRBOs, Hotels, car rentals, trains, ubers, food, beer and wine and a few gifts for friends and family - ouch!!!

I keep reminding myself that this is why we scrimped and saved during our working years. It is really weird to be spending like this after living so frugally for so long.

Wow! That's a lot of moving around and Packing and Unpacking for 2-3 months! --- We are just finishing 3 months in Hawaii with 2 different islands, and only 2 condos, and 2 car rentals and that was quite a bit of scheduling and effort for us.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Here's the ultimate "Dough Blowing", or rather "Dough Burning" act that I just read about.

In 1994, Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty burned 1 million pounds in cash in a boathouse on the Scottish island of Jura. It was described as art, and recorded on film. It took more than 1 hour to burn all that money in 50-pound notes, twenty thousands of them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's the ultimate "Dough Blowing", or rather "Dough Burning" act that I just read about.

In 1994, Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty burned 1 million pounds in cash in a boathouse on the Scottish island of Jura. It was described as art, and recorded on film. It took more than 1 hour to burn all that money in 50-pound notes, twenty thousands of them.
Congratulations, you've just traumatized a good portion of ER readers!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #147

Quote:

That's not art, that's insanity!!! You can't fix stupid.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

They had money to burn.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

I learned of this act in a book I am reading, in a chapter about money.

I reported about this book here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2203970

There's an interesting story behind this literal "cash burning", and anyone can check this out if interested. The Wikipedia has a good article for a summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foun...a_Million_Quid.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #150

I don't think I could burn a $1 bill let alone 1mil. I get sad when one tears on me lol and I've taped them back together before. Being in the accumulation stage, we don't have huge plans to blow dough. A few trips planned but nothing international, with 2 little kids too hard.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Considering, just considering, upgrading from cattle car to cattle-car plus (or even Bus. class) on our annual flight to the midwest. Probably won't actually pull the trigger on this, but at least we talk about it more each time we go. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Well,

This is sort of a cross between unblow the dough and where are you traveling.
We got a brochure for a cruise of the San Juan Islands out of Seattle. The price for an 8 day cruise for the 2 of us was $10K plus airfare.
We have been interested is going to the San Juan Islands for some time,but this was a bit much.
Also, I was looking to fly a P-40 next month for $2200, but by not doing that, we can pay for a $200 a night hotel in Friday Harbor for a week and have money left over for meals. The best part would I would be spending it with my wife!
We have not made definite plans, but I do stealth planning I have the ferry schedule, the airline schedule, and a price for an aerial tour of the islands. I also have an inquiry to the ferry company for any hotel packages they have.
I figure that we will be way ahead of the cruise cost and spend a week on San Juan Island.
Yeah no need for a cruise when you can island hop by ferry easily.

From Friday Harbor there is a oyster farm on the way to Roche harbor, Wescott Bay Seafood Company, that was serving grilled oysters and other goodies last year. See if they are open. I think the Friday Harbor shuttle even went there.

We blew that dough because we went for a fancy penthouse overlooking Friday harbor. We ate a lot of seafood at the penthouse because it was so fresh and minimal prep required.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #153

was torn between putting this in the TSLA thread, or the 'what was your last AMZN order' thread...

I will take delivery on a Roadster for my son next week, he keeps bugging me for a red sports car and his bday is next month...so I splurged... blow that dough!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZJV172
Old 03-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
was torn between putting this in the TSLA thread, or the 'what was your last AMZN order' thread...

I will take delivery on a Roadster for my son next week, he keeps bugging me for a red sports car and his bday is next month...so I splurged... blow that dough!

A whole $7.49! Hmmmm - not sure that qualifies for this thread.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:49 AM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A whole $7.49! Hmmmm - not sure that qualifies for this thread.
Want to blow a little more dough than that, kgtest? This might be good, depending on his age.

https://www.amazon.com/Rollplay-Pors...gateway&sr=8-4

I think I would have died of happiness if I had been given something like this as a kid.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:57 AM   #156

Quote:

I remember when my sons were little and they loved the "Match Box" cars. Good times.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:34 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Want to blow a little more dough than that, kgtest? This might be good, depending on his age.

https://www.amazon.com/Rollplay-Pors...gateway&sr=8-4

I think I would have died of happiness if I had been given something like this as a kid.
My ex's parents got some version of the attachment for my DS when he was already obsessed with cars. He rode that car non stop. Memory of good times....
Old 03-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

She’s a beaut!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #159

Quote:

Nice!
When I announced my early retirement, DW bought me a Ferrari.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #160

Quote:

Before doing things like that bear in mind that these are the people who will be choosing your nursing home...