Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, all of my windows have condensation between the panes. The current windows are “functional”, I suppose, but detract from aesthetics/curb appeal, and by extension, the home’s value.

Not expecting any dramatic drop in the cost of utilities...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
On one person's new windows, squirrels are chewing on the plastic frames, literally destroying them. He can't get them to stop and is having a fit over this.
What a nightmare! I'm glad I had all those very old/dying oak trees removed when I first bought this house. The squirrel population on my property went to almost zero after I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
when we lost the screen for the bedroom window and I could not get a replacement frame made, I decided that it was time for the 40+ year old windows to be replaced....mostly so I could open the bedroom window on cool summer evenings.
I know many people like to sleep with the windows open, but I sleep better with them closed because I feel safer from intruders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I think that's true of most energy-saving moves- you never make up the original cost.
That's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That $30K window job was for over 30 windows and a french door (4,500 sq ft house). Crazy.
Now, I could see getting my double French doors replaced because one of them is a "fake" door and isn't intended to open. So, although they look like double doors which could be useful for bringing large items into and out of the house, they aren't. But this is not really at the top of my list of fun things to pay for. And, if I converted them to true double doors, I'd have to figure out a foolproof way to ensure that they would never, ever blow open, even in hurricane conditions. That happened once with the double doors at my old house, during Hurricane Isaac when we were evacuated, and what a mess - - carpet, drywall, everything had to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Unfortunately, all of my windows have condensation between the panes. The current windows are “functional”, I suppose, but detract from aesthetics/curb appeal, and by extension, the home’s value.

Not expecting any dramatic drop in the cost of utilities...
I hate having that condensation, which was a problem at my old house but not here because my windows and French doors are all single paned.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I've always read that, despite what most windows salespeople will tell you, it would take quite a few decades for even the most energy-efficient windows to pay for themselves, which is why window replacement is a tough decision, there's likely no clear savings advantage.
Even though I know that the payback is very long when I replaced my windows a decade ago I went with triple pane. But, I live in a harsh winter climate and did it for the comfort factor...when it's -35 you can stand near the window and not feel a chill. A bonus is that they also block out a lot more noise than basic double panes.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
A bonus is that they also block out a lot more noise than basic double panes.
Yes, triple pane windows are really great at sound protection, but obviously that comes at a high cost.

I've often read that it's overkill for most people unless they live close to a busy highway or noisy city street. But of course in your case the climate control is another very valuable feature so I think it makes sense where you live.

I'm debating it for when we get around to window replacement. Fairly close to a highway and also a busy hospital (sirens at all hours).
Old 04-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

New windows all around is on our list too. Already replaced the big sliding glass door at $3800, seven more (much smaller) to go.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, triple pane windows are really great at sound protection, but obviously that comes at a high cost.

I've often read that it's overkill for most people unless they live close to a busy highway or noisy city street. But of course in your case the climate control is another very valuable feature so I think it makes sense where you live.

I'm debating it for when we get around to window replacement. Fairly close to a highway and also a busy hospital (sirens at all hours).
I don't remember them being that much more money but maybe that's because they're very common up here. They may come at a premium in moderate climates.

I actually didn't even consider the noise reduction factor as my main goal was comfort...it was only after I installed them that I noticed how much quieter it was.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Had triple pane low E windows installed maybe five years ago. Well worth the $$$, both in terms of heat loss/gain and noise block. They were custom made by Marvin. As an added benefit they open in. Makes for easy cleaning. And can also be tilted in. For ventilation.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #228

We remodeled our retirement house before we moved in 9 years ago, and since so much NEEDED to be done, I decided not to replace the kitchen/breakfast room tile. I've regretted the decision for at least 8.5 years, and finally decided to replace it. Demo is scheduled for next Wednesday and tile guy will start Thursday.

Also decided to replace 15 year old water heaters. Found out we really only need one, and they will also install a recirculating pump and crossover valve which reduces both energy and water use (much faster to get hot water to the faucets and less cold water going into the tank). Had considered going tankless but the electrical work required convinced us otherwise. Next project will be to convert the hallway water heater closet into a usable closet, probably for linens and cleaning supplies, which will be quite nice.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

We replaced all our windows and the main thing I noticed was the huge decrease in traffic noise. We live on a fairly busy street near a high school. But it also helped with the winter drafts here in frigid MN. Previously we had to keep curtains/blinds closed to be comfortable. When it is freezing here it is usually sunny, and you have the feeling of warmth seeing the sun.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

DW wants to replace the windows in our ~50 yo condo. There are 15 of them. While they are nothing to write how about the do open and close, no fogging, and all have screens (some of which I have replaced). I'm not keen on it... a lot of $$$ for little benefit.

Given that we spent $700 on electricity for the entire year in 2018, even if new windows saved 1/2 of that the payback is virtually nothing. There is the sound factor... DW is sensitive... I'm not... perhaps I'll just buy her an outstanding set of earplugs.

So how much would 15 - 36"w x 48"h double-hung windows cost? I'm guessing at least $15k and more like $30k.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Blow That Dough! - 2019
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Blow That Dough! - 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW wants to replace the windows in our ~50 yo condo. There are 15 of them. While they are nothing to write how about the do open and close, no fogging, and all have screens (some of which I have replaced). I'm not keen on it... a lot of $$$ for little benefit.

Given that we spent $700 on electricity for the entire year in 2018, even if new windows saved 1/2 of that the payback is virtually nothing. There is the sound factor... DW is sensitive... I'm not... perhaps I'll just buy her an outstanding set of earplugs.

So how much would 15 - 36"w x 48"h double-hung windows cost? I'm guessing at least $15k and more like $30k.

I’m replacing thirteen windows, various sizes, with alleged mid-grade vinyl windows, for $6850.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #232
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I recently got a quote for 2 Andersen 36"x48" windows for a rental unit for $2700. I laughed so hard, he left immediately.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #233
Give me a forum ...

So unless a window is broken or not operating properly, I just don't see the value proposition when my annual electric bill (including HVAC) is only $700 a year.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #234

Quote:
So unless a window is broken or not operating properly, I just don't see the value proposition when my annual electric bill (including HVAC) is only $700 a year.
I think I just found your value proposition

Quote:
DW wants to replace the windows in our ~50 yo condo. T
Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps at your house.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #236
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2010 we replaced 12 windows and our front door for $9999. They are vinyl windows that open in for cleaning. They replaced 30 year old wood windows that were drafty and noisy.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

In another spending category: Just put down a deposit on a trip to the Galapagos in March, 2020 with Overseas Adventure Travel; I took them to India and Nepal last year and was VERY impressed and they don't charge a Single Supplement. I'd joked that I wanted to go there so I could see a blue-footed booby- and then I saw them in the Sea of Cortez last month. Well, I'm going to the Galapagos anyway.

I am SO blessed!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #238
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just blew 1k on 4 cases of steaks and chicken. Does that count?
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #239

Hired a roofer to tear off a double layer of shingles and replace with verigated architectural shingle. It looks great!
Not really a Blow the Dough thing but it put a dent in this year's spending.
Went with the 30 year shingles instead of the 40 year ones as I don't think I'll be able to climb up there to put the second layer on at 100 years old.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #240
gone traveling

Art from Tracey Barnes (no relation) of Denver.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote