Join Early Retirement Today

Boast about your hometown
Old 05-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
Administrator

Boast about your hometown

This article about my town was in the New York Times today. It is a great place, and we are staying put.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/29/r...sultPosition=2

Quote:
Tucked beside the Housatonic River and hugging a long stretch of the Long Island Sound, Milford has a close relationship with the water. The beaches provide much of the city’s social fabric during the summer, as do the boat-filled marinas and busy harbor. Added to that are the many ponds, inlets and salt marshes, and a downtown waterfall that offers a picturesque backdrop for City Hall.
So what makes your town special?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is my hometown:Why is Lima called ‘City of the Kings’?

NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

My hometown used to be the automotive capitol of the world.

"What's good for GM is good for the country"

I'm glad to see it rising (just a bit) from the ashes. I'll always love Detroit and root for the home team!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I have been to Lima twice (1983 and 2004) and enjoyed it both times. Last time I went, we stayed in the Country Club Hotel and spent a lot of time in Miraflores. It is a very nice place.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have been to Lima twice (1983 and 2004) and enjoyed it both times. Last time I went, we stayed in the Country Club Hotel and spent a lot of time in Miraflores. It is a very nice place.
Likewise, I have cruised up/down the Housatonic River on two occasion's in a friends small powerboat, chartered a 50 ft sailboat (out of Newport, R.I) to sail the CT coastline and have a sister who lives on the Sound in Fairfield. I brought my family up there last July as I have always loved the area, and as a added bonus, we had a Pizza from Frank Pepe's!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nothing to boast about concerning my hometown. Between 1890 and 1930 it was the largest city in MS. Now it's the 6th largest. That should tell you all you need to know. Ha. But I have friends here and live on a golf course so it serves my purpose. I can escape to my condo on the AL coast when I need a change.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #7

My home town is Wapakoneta, Ohio, home of Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
Administrator

Where we live sits on the edge of the North Yorks National Park and is a very old market town dating back to Roman times and still has ruins of a 12th century priory right next to the old church where our children were baptized (and where my 8 greats grandfather was married).

Even though the town population is only about 8,000 it is very well served with a medical centre, local hospital, and excellent bus services because today it is still a popular market town and its civil parish, which covers surrounding villages, has a population of about 18,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guisborough
Old 05-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a former resident of Ridgefield and Monroe, we always loved visiting Milford when our kiddos were young.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My hometown is great at downsizing. It used to have 3 car dealers, 2 lumber yards, 2 hardware stores, a bowling alley, and a movie theater. All are gone now except 1 of the grocery stores.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #11

If I were president, I'd have a nice house there

My hometown is the nation's capital. It features monumental architecture, lots of excellent free museums, high quality performing arts and a nice subway system. The Library of Congress is open to the public, with copies of every book published in country. Even back in the 1970s, you could get beer by the yard at The Dubliner, a pub just a block away from the capitol building.

It's also home to unctuous politicians, overpriced real estate and round-the-clock traffic backups. Every single day of the year there are at least a half-dozen protests yammering on about something (or nothing). I'm glad I moved away.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
Administrator

So, is hometown where we were born / grew up, or where we live now?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

My hometown WAS a mining town. First lumber (logging), then Iron, then Copper, now....... after combining three High Schools from three adjacent towns they still don't have enough kids to field a football team.

Sad, really, it was a great place to grow up
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My home town is Placerville, California. Better known as Hangtown and made famous with the California gold rush of 1849. Coloma, the site of Sutter's Mill, where gold was first discovered here in CA, is just a few minutes out of town. The town has a colorful past and has maintained much of it's historical vibe.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I guess my hometown is New Orleans, since I have lived here longer than anyplace else. I have lived here for the past 20 years, or 23 years if you count Baton Rouge as being part of New Orleans (it isn't! but some people have a great imagination when defining what is within New Orleans).

Probably I don't need to tell anyone here about New Orleans, our fabled food, architecture, history, music, and culture. But few are familiar with the people here in the older generation (over 70) who have lived here all of their lives. What an amazing, amazing people, and they should be declared a national treasure or some such thing IMO.

Then there's the other side of the coin. Some aspects of living in New Orleans are nothing to brag about. I would imagine that just saying "New Orleans" brings scenes to one's mind such as the one taken after Katrina, that I got off the internet for this post, and attached below. Katrina was such an awful experience for everyone here.

But hey, you can take REWahoo's list of disadvantages to living in Texas, and almost cut it in half for New Orleans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (118.6 KB, 67 views)
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

My hometown (where I grew up) was and is a most interesting place, but I've been living happily in DW's hometown for the last 30 years so I'm torn between them. This one is also a great place.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yukon,Ok: Home of Garth Brooks and nine different places to order chicken
Old 05-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

The light bulb....

"It was in his Menlo Park laboratory that Thomas Edison came up with the phonograph and a commercially viable incandescent light bulb filament."

In what is now Edison, NJ
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

So what makes your town special?
My old hometown - Waterbury, Connecticut. Used to be the "Brass Center of the World", now it's a 110,000 population Certified SLUM and Crime Community.

Current hometown - The Woodlands, Texas. Best master planned community and fastest growing township in Texas. Home to Exxon's $4 Billion, 450+ acre research and technical center, the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion and many health and energy company research and technical office complexes. (but it's getting too crowded for me).
Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

They invented M&M’s less than a mile from my house.