Boast about your hometown

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This article about my town was in the New York Times today. It is a great place, and we are staying put.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/29/...s-just-big-enough.html?searchResultPosition=2

Tucked beside the Housatonic River and hugging a long stretch of the Long Island Sound, Milford has a close relationship with the water. The beaches provide much of the city’s social fabric during the summer, as do the boat-filled marinas and busy harbor. Added to that are the many ponds, inlets and salt marshes, and a downtown waterfall that offers a picturesque backdrop for City Hall.

So what makes your town special?

My hometown used to be the automotive capitol of the world.

"What's good for GM is good for the country"

I'm glad to see it rising (just a bit) from the ashes. I'll always love Detroit and root for the home team!

I have been to Lima twice (1983 and 2004) and enjoyed it both times. Last time I went, we stayed in the Country Club Hotel and spent a lot of time in Miraflores. It is a very nice place.

Likewise, I have cruised up/down the Housatonic River on two occasion's in a friends small powerboat, chartered a 50 ft sailboat (out of Newport, R.I) to sail the CT coastline and have a sister who lives on the Sound in Fairfield. I brought my family up there last July as I have always loved the area, and as a added bonus, we had a Pizza from Frank Pepe's!

Nothing to boast about concerning my hometown. Between 1890 and 1930 it was the largest city in MS. Now it's the 6th largest. That should tell you all you need to know. Ha. But I have friends here and live on a golf course so it serves my purpose. I can escape to my condo on the AL coast when I need a change.

My home town is Wapakoneta, Ohio, home of Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon.

Where we live sits on the edge of the North Yorks National Park and is a very old market town dating back to Roman times and still has ruins of a 12th century priory right next to the old church where our children were baptized (and where my 8 greats grandfather was married).

Even though the town population is only about 8,000 it is very well served with a medical centre, local hospital, and excellent bus services because today it is still a popular market town and its civil parish, which covers surrounding villages, has a population of about 18,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guisborough

As a former resident of Ridgefield and Monroe, we always loved visiting Milford when our kiddos were young.

My hometown is great at downsizing. It used to have 3 car dealers, 2 lumber yards, 2 hardware stores, a bowling alley, and a movie theater. All are gone now except 1 of the grocery stores.

If I were president, I'd have a nice house there

My hometown is the nation's capital. It features monumental architecture, lots of excellent free museums, high quality performing arts and a nice subway system. The Library of Congress is open to the public, with copies of every book published in country. Even back in the 1970s, you could get beer by the yard at The Dubliner, a pub just a block away from the capitol building.

It's also home to unctuous politicians, overpriced real estate and round-the-clock traffic backups. Every single day of the year there are at least a half-dozen protests yammering on about something (or nothing). I'm glad I moved away.

So, is hometown where we were born / grew up, or where we live now?

My hometown WAS a mining town. First lumber (logging), then Iron, then Copper, now....... after combining three High Schools from three adjacent towns they still don't have enough kids to field a football team.

Sad, really, it was a great place to grow up

My home town is Placerville, California. Better known as Hangtown and made famous with the California gold rush of 1849. Coloma, the site of Sutter's Mill, where gold was first discovered here in CA, is just a few minutes out of town. The town has a colorful past and has maintained much of it's historical vibe.

I guess my hometown is New Orleans, since I have lived here longer than anyplace else. I have lived here for the past 20 years, or 23 years if you count Baton Rouge as being part of New Orleans (it isn't! but some people have a great imagination when defining what is within New Orleans).

Probably I don't need to tell anyone here about New Orleans, our fabled food, architecture, history, music, and culture. But few are familiar with the people here in the older generation (over 70) who have lived here all of their lives. What an amazing, amazing people, and they should be declared a national treasure or some such thing IMO.

Then there's the other side of the coin. Some aspects of living in New Orleans are nothing to brag about. I would imagine that just saying "New Orleans" brings scenes to one's mind such as the one taken after Katrina, that I got off the internet for this post, and attached below. Katrina was such an awful experience for everyone here.

But hey, you can take REWahoo's list of disadvantages to living in Texas, and almost cut it in half for New Orleans.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 74
My hometown (where I grew up) was and is a most interesting place, but I've been living happily in DW's hometown for the last 30 years so I'm torn between them. This one is also a great place.

The light bulb....

"It was in his Menlo Park laboratory that Thomas Edison came up with the phonograph and a commercially viable incandescent light bulb filament."

In what is now Edison, NJ

So what makes your town special?

My old hometown - Waterbury, Connecticut. Used to be the "Brass Center of the World", now it's a 110,000 population Certified SLUM and Crime Community.

Current hometown - The Woodlands, Texas. Best master planned community and fastest growing township in Texas. Home to Exxon's $4 Billion, 450+ acre research and technical center, the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion and many health and energy company research and technical office complexes. (but it's getting too crowded for me).

I was born in New Orleans, and lived there until I joined the military.

Not much to say about NO LA that hasn't already been said. It's one of the most visited cities in the world. As Professor Long hair said, "When you go to New Orleans, you ought to go see the Mardi Gras."

So : "Laissez les bon temps rouler”

My hometown is at an elevation that is above the dank winter fog and below the snow line. I ride and race bicycles through the year (mountain bikes, road racing, gravel racing & cyclocross) and we have endless trails and gravel mountain roads right outside our door for training, riding and hiking. Can usually get out on two wheels and enjoy the outdoors 11 months out of the year. January is typically the rainy season.

Winter and Spring skiing at world class resorts is only 60 miles away.

Summer brings very low humidity and few mosquitos!!! And it rarely dips below 30 degrees in the Winter.

Lots of local history here too. Both Native American and settlers in the 1800s. And since we reside in this temperate zone we also have thriving citrus orchards and numerous boutique wineries doting our hillsides.

Downsides are the high cost of living, threat of forest fires (and the high cost of homeowners insurance) and occasional earthquakes.

I grew up in Kenosha Wisconsin which is okay but nothing to brag about. I much prefer where I live now.

My small home town and the county where it is located were both named for men who died when a gun the navy was demonstrating exploded. It is the birthplace of two well known singers (think "Chances Are" and "Hotel California").

My hometown is in the suburbs of Geneva, Switzerland, an international city which serves as headquarters to many UN organizations. Banking and finance are major industries in the area. The city is famous for its water fountain sending a stream of water up 460ft in the air. It sits on a lake (the largest in western and central Europe) and is surrounded by mountains (up to 6,000' high). The Geneva airport is binational (one side is in Switzerland, the other in France). In fact, the Geneva metro area stretches across the border which is crossed by tens of thousands of people every day, often as if it weren't there at all. The two sides of the border are getting more and more integrated through the joint development of cross-border public transportation and highway projects, which makes it an area of the world like few others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom