Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Book" report: The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement, 2nd edition
Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"Book" report: The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement, 2nd edition

Full disclosure: I bought a couple copies of the first edition and was very vocal in my appreciation, so I've been given a FREE download of the second edition!

You can order a CD, but I recommend the download from
http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/orderpage.htm.

The guide has been expanded with clips from a video interview, more pictures, and a smoother audio format on the intro & photo albums. It downloads & installs better, too. Those of you who've been keeping an eye on the Kaderli's website might notice the inclusion of other interviews & stories.

My personal feeling about the PT lifestyle vacillates between "Sign me up!" and "Eh, just send me the videotape". If you're trying to see yourself as a PT, the Kaderli's book gives you the entire photo album. I was particularly surprised to realize that the subjects of their "Faces of Ecuador" and "An Asian Perspective" albums would look right at home on Oahu. Even the cigar-chewing granny with only a few remaining incisors wouldn't be out of place in Honolulu's Chinatown...

If you haven't gotten around to buying your copy yet, then go ahead-- it's a better product and a more convenient download. If you already have one and want to see the updates then it might be worth the price of admission-- especially if you're going to re-gift it to one of your working acquaintances!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Book" report: The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement, 2nd edition
Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
My personal feeling about the PT lifestyle vacillates between "Sign me up!" and "Eh, just send me the videotape".
When I was a youngster PT meant - the first word rhymed with Venus and the 2nd word with Tickler.

I'm not sure I'd like this 'lifestyle'. - I'm too busy enjoying ER to know what all this stuff means. 8)
Old 09-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, Nords, for your continuing support.

We hope that the audio and visual we have added make for a more enjoyable experience of our book.

Even though we are Perpetual Travelers, our book touches on many topics integral to retirement.

Table of Contents: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/...f_contents.htm

We hope to be able to continue world travel until it's no longer fun or practical. We do have a home base in Arizona, and because it is so low cost and maintenance free, it offers us the best of both worlds.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just bought it a couple days ago.* I have not finished reading it yet.* But I do have a few comments/suggestions:

The goods:* The pictures are nice and clear.* The writing is simple, fluid, and to the point.

The not-so-goods:* Each time you bring it up, the data has to be decoded/decompressed, and it asks for the license number, quite frustating.* I found a way to bypass it, but wish I didn't have to.* It's not printer friendly at all.* The print outs are not good looking, and require a lot of paper and ink.* The underlying software (Typhoon?) is quite inefficient.* Simply reading consumes 20% of the CPU on a slower machine (500Mhz).* CPU utilization should be negligible.

Suggestion:* I was hoping to see more detailed financial information about Thailand, and Ecuador, since the authors have spent quite a long time in those two places.* I know it was not promised, but it would be nice and helpful information.

Overall I like the book, especially because I can begin reading just a few hours after paying for it.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #5

Hi Sam,
Thanks for supporting our project. We very much appreciate it.

Quote:
The goods: The pictures are nice and clear. The writing is simple, fluid, and to the point.
Thanks for the kudos.* 8)

Quote:
The not-so-goods: Each time you bring it up, the data has to be decoded/decompressed, and it asks for the license number, quite frustating. I found a way to bypass it, but wish I didn't have to.
We receive an immense amount of email from people who have bought our book, discovered our website or who have read about us in newspapers or magazines. I personally respond to each email I receive. This is the first time we have heard of this problem, and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I got our tech department on it right away (Billeeeeee!!!) We are sorry for any inconvenience to you, however, Billy checked the download on 2 public computers this morning and did not have to re-enter the license number again, as you have indicated above. As all personal computers are just that, 'personal', we have no idea of your personal settings, and perhaps one of these is creating this issue.*

Quote:
It's not printer friendly at all. The print outs are not good looking, and require a lot of paper and ink.
You are correct. Our photos are high resolution so they will take a lot of ink. However, you must agree in the CD-Rom book format, they are spectacular. This was a main reason we did not go with* the traditional publishing route in the first place, as we felt the 200+ color photos were integral to our message. Our book format is HTML, which is not printer friendly. It would be like you printing a web page straight from an online source, without clicking the ‘printer friendly’ version. And again, it was never intended to be printed out.

Quote:
The underlying software (Typhoon?) is quite inefficient. Simply reading consumes 20% of the CPU on a slower machine (500Mhz). CPU utilization should be negligible.
Again, Sam, we want to thank you for* bringing this to our attention. We are forwarding your comments to our software developer for his benefit. If it weren’t for people bringing these issues up, the software developers would not know how to improve their products.

Quote:
Suggestion: I was hoping to see more detailed financial information about Thailand, and Ecuador, since the authors have spent quite a long time in those two places. I know it was not promised, but it would be nice and helpful information.
I would like to refer you to our Thailand Travel page from our website: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/thailand_travel.htm

and our Ecuador Travel page as well: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/...nformation.htm

We hope both of these pages answer most of your questions. If you have more, feel free to write us at TheGuide@RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Quote:
Overall I like the book, especially because I can begin reading just a few hours after paying for it.
Again, Sam, we would like to thank you for your support of our project. Be well, and the best to you all ways.

Akaisha
Old 09-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #6

You're welcome, Akaisha.

How I envy your freedom and travels.* I hope to be able to do similar things in 5 years.* I won't be a* PT, but perhaps a PTPT (part-time PT).* I will most like establish a base in Southeast Asia too, and travel from there.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I got our tech department on it right away (Billeeeeee!!!) We are sorry for any inconvenience to you, however, Billy checked the download on 2 public computers this morning and did not have to re-enter the license number again, as you have indicated above. As all personal computers are just that, 'personal', we have no idea of your personal settings, and perhaps one of these is creating this issue.*
I think I figured it out (not 100% positive).* It has to do with cookies.* On my machine, security level are set high, so when your software attempts to remember my license number, it creates a cookie, which fails.* So it has to ask for the number again.

I tried it on an unsecure machine, and it works fine, asking me for the licence number only on the first invocation.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I have asked the local public library to add a copy to their collection.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #9

Sam:
Quote:
How I envy your freedom and travels. I hope to be able to do similar things in 5 years. I won't be a PT, but perhaps a PTPT (part-time PT). I will most like establish a base in Southeast Asia too, and travel from there.
Quote:

I like the idea of PTPT. Great approach!

We have home bases in the US, in Mexico and in Thailand. We set up 'home' and travel from that location. We are not 'always' on the road.

In doing it this way, it seems that many places have the feeling of* being home. We have lots of community spirit with* different flavors!* and since we are always 'home' we can go at our own pace.

Quote:
I think I figured it out (not 100% positive). It has to do with cookies. On my machine, security level are set high, so when your software attempts to remember my license number, it creates a cookie, which fails. So it has to ask for the number again.
Makes sense. Glad this got worked out. Thanks.

Mickeyd:
Quote:
I have asked the local public library to add a copy to their collection.
Thanks, Mickeyd! If your library needs any info on how to contact us, please feel free to forward it on to them, or write to me giving me their contact info and I will forward it on to them. Thanks for your support.* 8)

Be well.
Akaisha
Old 09-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #10

Billy, a question about Thailand and Ecuador. I got you CD and know you have spent time in Ecuador. How does it compare to Thailand in both cost of living and general living conditions (access to US tv and dsl) Also attitude towards Americans.

Thialand is losing it's appeal now with the new visa restrictions it has set up so looking at other possibilities. Seems the government really doesn't want us there.

Also, have you been to Udon, Thailand. How does it compare to Chaing Mae. (may have spelled that wrong)
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #11

Modhatter:
Quote:
Billy, a question about Thailand and Ecuador.* I got you CD and know you have spent time in Ecuador.* How does it compare to Thailand in both cost of living and general living conditions (access to US tv and dsl)* Also attitude towards Americans.
We loved Ecuador and for many reasons. We stayed there (only) 2 months.

A benefit is that it is closer to the US than Thailand, so travel time and cost is a bit less. The culture is very exotic in that there are the indigenous Quechua living there, you have the Spanish (invasion) influence, and the decendants of the ancient slave trade.

This makes for a rich cultural pool to draw upon. Lots of native festivals with a combination of the Quechua holidays mixed in with the Spanish Catholic ones. We found the people to be friendly and open to Americans.

We traveled mostly down the Andes - from top to bottom and back again - and didn't venture into the beach areas (heard they were filled with crime and not as clean) nor did we do the Amazon jungle. In the areas where we were, we found the places to be clean, the food to be tasty and cheap. Lodging was a bit more expensive, it seemed, than we found in Thailand. We spent around the $20-$25 per night most of the time. The $6 a night places were in out-of-the-way locations.

That being said, you could get a full meal for $1.50, and transportation was cheap.

There seemed to be a property buy-up happening in Vilcabamba by Canadians and Americans, as the land seemed 'cheap' as compared to prices at home... and we did meet Americans in Cuenca and Banos who started businesses and settled into the culture there.

Internet was easy to find, but we aren't into television too much in foreign countries... We tend to read, walk around the areas, go to festivals, take photos, sight see, plan our next destination etc. In general, Ecuador seemed an easy place to be.

See Ecuador Travel Page: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/...nformation.htm

However - although farmacias are everywhere, we had no experience with the health care system there. We did see a hospital in the Quilotoa Loop area, but we didn't go in. I imagine the medical care in the larger cities of Cuenca and Quito would be fine, but I personally don't know.

This is one large difference between Thailand and Ecuador, IMO.

Quote:
Thialand is losing it's appeal now with the new visa restrictions it has set up so looking at other possibilities.* Seems the government really doesn't want us there.*
Yeah... personally we are hoping that this is just a 'phase' and it will pass. Thailand has had many coups over the last few decades, and the visa rules continue to change. It does make it challenging..

Quote:
Also, have you been to Udon, Thailand.
We have not been to Udon, but traveled a good deal of the country. (see Thailand Home Page: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/thailand.htm)

Travel and getting around in general seem to be easy in Thailand.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for your support of our project.

Best,
Akaisha
Old 10-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #12

We were just interviewed by Clark Howard on his syndicated radio show out of Atlanta last week. His show has a large following and is called Save more, spend less and don't get ripped off!

You can listen to the full interview by clicking on our home page

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/

It's stream video so shouldn't take long to load. His show is one worth listening to... He has a very large audience.

Be well,
Akaisha

Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Akaisha, I just listened to the radio show. Fun to hear your voices! I was amused by the single guy who worked at the station and lived in a 4800 square foot house with the garage crammed with stuff.

I also found it interesting that you keep daily track of every bit you spend. This is our weakness.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I also found it interesting that you keep daily track of every bit you spend. This is our weakness.
We've been doing that for over 20 years. It takes an anally-retentive engineer with time on his hands a bit of work to keep up with the data entry but it's not that much effort to get into the habit of piling up the receipts & paper scraps.

However we used to print out a monthly report, compare it to the budget, and decide what needed to be done (if anything) or what should change/improve. Now we're lucky if we do that once a year... we didn't even review 2005's spending until a couple months ago.

Aside from FIRECalc, IMO one of the more valuable reasons to track your spending is for those questions like "When did we buy that?" or "Didn't we just fix this a couple months ago?" and most especially "Our tax basis is what?!?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #15

Martha:
Quote:
Akaisha, I just listened to the radio show. Fun to hear your voices! I was amused by the single guy who worked at the station and lived in a 4800 square foot house with the garage crammed with stuff.
I find that amazing as well… When we sold our home in 1991, I could not believe how much stuff we had. And we considered ourselves to be frugal shoppers and certainly not impulse buyers. When we pared down to retire, it took me years to go through the socks and other clothing items I owned..

We know lots of people who have 2 car garages and can’t park their car inside!

Quote:
I agree with Nords that it might seem a bit anal retentive, but we explain our easy system in our book. Billy takes the gross amount of sales daily, so he knows exactly where we are every day in terms % of net worth we are spending. It only takes a few minutes. I utilize Microsoft Money program and break it down into categories. I do this on perhaps a monthly basis. But that is how we know where our money is going - in every category!

Nords:
Quote:
Aside from FIRECalc, IMO one of the more valuable reasons to track your spending is for those questions like "When did we buy that?" or "Didn't we just fix this a couple months ago?" and most especially "Our tax basis is what?!?"
Exactly. We know what, when and how much. It’s really a confidence building tool!

Thanks for listening in to the interview!
Be well,
Akaisha
Old 10-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

I caught the show on my way home from Texas. Enjoyed it very much.
I thought it was interesting how Bill and Akaisha could both be interviewed
simultaneously with it all sounding so smooth on the radio. Guess this
comes from having done it a few times.

Keeping daily track is my "weakness" also. Tried it for about a year once.
I hated it. Now I use the "big picture" system. I manage by net worth.
If the net worth ain't dropping, everything's cool.

JG
Old 10-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #17

Thanks, JG.. we appreciate the kudos. How fun that you were able to simply pick it up while traveling home from Texas!

We try to learn from each interview and it's always a challenge.

RE: tracking spending, it seems everyone has their own style. If it works for you, then it works! B and I like to do all these 'what-if' scenarios, so having all the minutia of our spending in different categories is actually fun for us .. We are sort of 'nerdy' but what the heck... 8)

Be well,
Akaisha