Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Very likely depends on who was referring to them. I know that the Irish, Italians, Jews, and various central European groups were not universally respected, to put it very mildly. What was one of the biggest complaints about the Roman catholics? They had too large families.

It should also be remembered that this was pre-welfare, and still attitudes toward the newcomers remained quite negative for a long time.

Ha
Yes, Mr. Ha, and it would appear this is changing so very slowly.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well....... Elon Musk the founder of Paypal, Tesla Motors and SpaceX is South African and has five kids. I think we are better off because of immigrants like Mr. Musk.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Many groups of immigrants found a home in the US and added to rapid population growth in previous generations. I wonder if they too were referred to as [mod edit]?
[mod edit]

Seems factually correct:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0083.pdf

Quote:
Table 83. Total Fertility Rate by Race and Hispanic Origin: 1980 to 2008
[Based on race of mother. Excludes births to nonresidents of United States. The total fertility rate is the number of births that 1,000
women would have in their lifetime if, at each year of age, they experienced the birth rates occurring in the specified year. A total
fertility rate of 2,110 represents “replacement level” fertility for the total population under current mortality conditions (assuming no
net immigration). See Appendix III]
Code:
Race and Hispanic origin  2008
Total 1                            2,085
White.                             2,067
Black.                             2,132
American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut.    1,844
Asian or Pacific Islander .        2,055
Hispanic 2. .                      2,912
2,912 versus a range of 1,844-2,132 across all other groups is quite an outlier.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Strictly from a self interest point of view (My plan is to start collecting SS at 62 at the end of this year) it seems that a growing population of hopefully working and tax paying and SS contributing young adults seems like a positive no? I mean I read about the dire forecasts of Japan and some European nations facing a dire demographic forecast of shrinking populations and dimishing working populations. That's not what we want here in the US do we? Based on ERD's post above it seems that the hispanic population is the only group at over replacement rate...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Strictly from a self interest point of view (My plan is to start collecting SS at 62 at the end of this year) it seems that a growing population of hopefully working and tax paying and SS contributing young adults seems like a positive no? I mean I read about the dire forecasts of Japan and some European nations facing a dire demographic forecast of shrinking populations and dimishing working populations. That's not what we want here in the US do we? Based on ERD's post above it seems that the hispanic population is the only group at over replacement rate...
Agreed. Don't forget China among those facing a demographic headwind thanks to their 80's one-child policy Why Demographics Show China Poses No Long-Term Threat To The US | Emerging Markets | Minyanville.com.
Attached Images
File Type: png laborforce-growth.png (63.9 KB, 6 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mid pack- what is the y axis on that figure,
. I read the article and cannot quite figure where or what is being shown here beyond the USA being in a different condition than the others going forward.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote