Join Early Retirement Today

Boomer Retirement Series on TV
Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boomer Retirement Series on TV

This series is available on PBS stations. But it can be viewed on-line.

The first show in the series was interesting. It gave some good background information.

The link to view it online is listed. You can look up your local schedule at the PBS web site.

WTTW - Retirement Revolution 2008 - Home
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Very helpful. Will bookmark and watch. Thanks for posting the link.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks! I'll check that out later.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I watched Part 1 and it was mostly the history of retirement, interesting but not particularly useful. Part 2 (of 2) next Mon night will be more on the saving, investing, soc sec side which I expect to be more useful. FWIW...

I fell asleep watching it, but downloaded to my iPod (for free) at the WTTW11 website and watched it at lunch today. Ain't technology grand.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Midpack, I'd be willing to bet you a sixpack you don't learn anything from Part 2 that hasn't been discussed here - probably several times. I hope I lose, but I don't think I will...

Hmmmm. Let me try that again.

Midpack, bet you a sixpack
you learn nothing from 2
we didn't already knew...
Old 04-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #6

I enjoyed part 1, and look forward to part 2. But the website makes me .... skeptical. Mass Mutual is a sponsor, and there seems to be an emphasis on products one could buy from an insurance company.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I enjoyed part 1, and look forward to part 2. But the website makes me .... skeptical. Mass Mutual is a sponsor, and there seems to be an emphasis on products one could buy from an insurance company.

Coach

Those PBS shows are usually funded by some foundation or company... often if it is financially related, there is a bank or insurance company in there somewhere.

I did not think the show would provide any planning advice that would be helpful.

I thought part 1 was particularly interesting. It provided a historical perspective. Since I have read on the subject in some earlier research, some of the information was not new (to me), but there was some interesting information that I had not heard before or thought about.

If you want to see what America was like before SS (and later Medicare), tune in and watch episode 1. It provides a fairly sobering view of what is in store for older people who do not have pensions and the like.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watched it and enjoyed the historical perspectative as well. Now I understand where the phrase " poor house" came from. I appreciated the comments from the folks that lived through the depression. Reminded me of some of the stories my dad told me about his childhood. I'm looking forward to part II.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #9

I enjoyed this. Thanks for posting the link. Also, part 2 is available online. No need to wait.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote