Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think the best explanation is that not everyone is identical, or has identical situations in his/her life.
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
No boredom here.

same here

Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Huh?

I can understand boredom caused by not having enough spending money in retirement - that you just really have a limited budget and have to minimize food and fuel expenses, minimal Internet/cable, no money for hobbies or travel, you end up feeling you have to hang around the house all day.

Even then, I think I would figure out something. (Probably part-time work for spending money)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think the best explanation is that not everyone is identical, or has identical situations in his/her life.
+2.

I'm happy for the OP (really), but why would you expect everyone to share your POV? Or why would it bother you if someone would rather work for whatever reason - work can be a noble pursuit also no?

I am sure there's a thread over at neverretire.org or dogoodworldwide.org asking how anyone could retire ever, much less early, when they are still able to change the world, given all the world's problems.

There is no right answer IMO...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Being early retired, do I get bored sometimes? Of course!

But I used to get bored at work, too.

In fact, I can't imagine anything more boring than sitting in one of those ridiculous meetings, usually with a lot of people I didn't like, talking about stuff I wasn't interested in! Or sitting in my car in heavy traffic during one of those brutal Friday evening commutes! Or being forced to go into the office on a bright, sunny summer Sunday afternoon to work on some dopey PowerPoint presentation for my power-hungry boss (while he's out golfing)!

Now that I am retired, I have no one else but myself to blame if I get a little bored. The only thing holding back an early retired person is creativity and initiative.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that you will find that whether or not someone is bored is that part of it lies in the definition of what constitutes boredom to that individual.

I was so busy yesterday with yard work / spring cleaning that I did not get everything that I intended to do done, but even though I was busy - I was bored. I would rather of been fishing...
Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

"In fact, I can't imagine anything more boring than sitting in one of those ridiculous meetings, usually with a lot of people I didn't like, talking about stuff I wasn't interested in! Or sitting in my car in heavy traffic during one of those brutal Friday evening commutes! Or being forced to go into the office on a bright, sunny summer Sunday afternoon to work on some dopey PowerPoint presentation for my power-hungry boss (while he's out golfing)!"

You hit the nail RIGHT on the head...!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I work with a few people that won't retire because work is all they know. That is their identity.

The way I look at it...boring people have boring lives. Who wants to hang around with boring people? It's a self fulfilling prophecy they bring on themselves. Most people on these forums are just the opposite. Birds of a feather...
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Sure I can understand these people. One dimensional people who aren't creative. And/or ego that is driven by control, power, authority, and need to feel important (real or perceived).
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always felt that "boredom" depends more on the individual than on their ER/semi-ER/w#rking/schooling status. Has no one ever encountered a child or teen who insisted on being "bored" despite being offered dozens of activities?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Always felt that "boredom" depends more on the individual than on their ER/semi-ER/w#rking/schooling status. Has no one ever encountered a child or teen who insisted on being "bored" despite being offered dozens of activities?
Definitely an individual thing. Some people cringe at the thought of having, say, 2 hours of free time at home with "nothing to do". If, for example the power was off and their tv wouldn't work, and their smart phone was out of batteries, and their car was in the auto shop.

I can't recall a time in my life where I couldn't think of something fun or entertaining or useful to fill my time with. If it ever does happen, I suppose a quick google of "fun things to do" or "OMG I am so bored! what can I do to alleviate boredom?" would quickly give me some ideas. Or walk around downtown or the university and see what's up. Check out some lectures, music, arts, cultural events, ad hoc people doing cool stuff, etc. Build something, research something, organize something, try cooking something new, work out in the yard, etc. How can people be bored today?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Yeah. I don't understand it either. Think about all that extra time you could spend having sex instead of working. Oh, as my wife keeps telling me, I spend more time thinking about sex than actually doing the deed.

thats because she is not
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #33

First off, thanks everyone for your replies and I’m not taking it person as feedback is what I really wanted.

I never planned on retiring in my late 40’s and it came as a surprise when I finally realized I was a workaholic and my marriage was falling apart. After retirement my life changed dramatically ………. for the better. I also know when I’m on my death bed, I’ll never regret that I didn’t work longer. If anything as much as I’ve increased the amount of time I spend with my family and friends by 1000 %, I still feel it’s not enough. Maybe since I’ve very handy, creative, have a great imagination and enjoy the company of others, I just can’t find the time to be bored.

haha
You’re absolutely right, not everyone is identical, or has identical situations in his/her life. I also know I don’t have the right to judge which is why I never responded to those comments. Rather I came to this forum to get a better perspective.
ER Eddie
I agree to a certain extent, "Work served as their identity and anchor in life”, it certainly was in my case until I was made to realized I was losing my family. Don’t get me wrong I liked my job which is why I didn’t have a problem being a workaholic. I was well respected and the money was great, it was just the workload and pressure I could have done without.
heeyjoe
As for some people are simply wired to keep work, maybe so, but I sometimes wonder if that time could be better spent with a friend of loved one………….. or maybe that was just my case.
Milton
I agree that I should show compassion, although I’m not sure I can and I’m being totally honest.
Katsmeow
I understood your analogy, thanks for sharing.
ER Eddie
I believe you’re correct, we, or I have become intolerant of boredom, I don’t know why, maybe because I see so much potential out there regarding broken relationships that could be mended if only there were more time spent with each other, or better communication, etc . When I take my dog for a walk I see many homes like my neighbor who is 65, I don't understand, when he says he would be bored if he stopped working, yet he allows his house to be run down even though he’s very handy and his marriage is falling apart, yet they won't seperate or divorce since they say they're happy. I know, don’t judge.
Arifriekinel
I was also self-employed and while at work I also wished there were 30 hours in a day since I knew if a contract took 1000 hours to complete, the more hours in a day, the faster the job could be completed. Time went by fast while at work, as I enjoyed what I did.
jags
Agreed, the sex did become much more frequent and longer lasting (better), no complaints for either one of us.
Midpack
I wasn’t expecting everyone to share my POV, I am only trying to get a better understand by having others express their POV.

Again, thanks everyone as you’ve made me realize that yes, maybe I’m the one with the problem since I shouldn’t let it get to me. People’s lives are there business, and whether they’re trying to fool themselves, others, or just being honest, I as well as others don’t have the right to judge them.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #34

I remember being bored in manager meetings while folks were up front pontificating......being stuck there for hours trying to stay focused.
In retirement I have not been bored. I always have something to occupy my thoughts -
Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I work with a few people that won't retire because work is all they know. That is their identity.
A long time ago, I used to wait at the bus stop with a guy who was retirement age (I was in my 30s). He dreaded retirement and told me "I can't imagine it. One day you matter, and the next day pffft! - you're nothing!"

I'll never forget that conversation. It taught me to not define myself by my job.

When I first retired, it was really difficult to get out the routine of doing as much as I possibly could, as fast as I could - multitasking, projects, etc. I felt guilty spending time on my hobbies. But then I decided "Hey - this is it! This is what I worked my whole life for - time to do what I want to do! So go ahead and do it! The other stuff will still be there after I'm done having fun."

Now that I'm retired, the answer I have for people who ask "What do you do?" is "Pretty much whatever I want, when I want!"

Retirement is an art, not a science!

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Yeah. I don't understand it either. Think about all that extra time you could spend having sex instead of working. Oh, as my wife keeps telling me, I spend more time thinking about sex than actually doing the deed.
Sounds like an invitation to action.

Lucky man.

Ha
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #37

I've had conversations with coworkers about this. My division is being acquired by another company so there's a lot of turmoil - changes in benefits, fears of layoffs, etc. I've mentioned that if I get laid off - I'm done... I'm retired. The shock isn't that I can afford it - it's that I'd get bored.

I already work an 80% schedule because as a working mom with schoolage kids - I'd explode without that arrangement. I'm way too busy/over obligated with parenting/volunteer activities. So when coworkers state they would need a place to go every day - I point out they could volunteer... Retirement doesn't mean staying home all day, every day.

Some of these same coworkers also max out their vacation on the books to the point they stop accruing it. (we have a cap on how much can be on the books.) I've *never* had that problem. They have limited life outside work. Even some of the ones with small kids.

I point out that I wouldn't be bored... as it is work interferes with my other activities, interests, obligations.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I was more bored at work than I have ever been since being left to my own devices.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I can easily see how some could become bored in retirement. Those that have devoted their entire lives to work and had no hobbies probably would. For me golf, hiking with mutt and looking after my mom my first 6 years after retirement has kept me busy. Now that mom is gone I still golf and hike, but I have been busy going through her house and getting contractors lined up for a kitchen and bath facelift. As soon as that is done, I will do the same in my house(aunt's old house) and put it on the market to sell. Maybe rent....but that is another story. And as the year goes on I plan to travel a bit.

I don't see any boredom looming in my immediate future.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think that there is something wrong with boredom. It's a natural periodic experience. I enjoy it.