Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
Redbugdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Some folks are just bored, doesn't matter where they are or what they do. That's probably why smartphones are so popular.
That's a good point. And it takes another on the other end of the line wasting their time, too.
__________________

__________________
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
seraphim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,492
+1 Michael

Fortunately there is little cell phone service out in the boondocks, where we intend to be a lot of the time. I really don't get bored; there's always something to do, or to learn...
__________________

__________________
"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.
ER Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I LIKE getting a little bored.... Getting a little bored was a good way to recharge. Now...I may be carrying to the extreme....but I get very twitchy and uncomfortable if I am "busy" all the time. Need some boring time....others don't...I do.
Same here. I don't like a lot of activity; it overstimulates me and makes me anxious/stressed. I like a quiet, simple life. I'm not sure I would call it "bored," though -- to me, it's peaceful, and it allows me to think and recharge. "Bored" is an unpleasant state, similar (in my mind anyhow) to apathy.
Boredom Synonyms, Boredom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com
__________________
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Quote:
the point being that i think sometimes in retirement people miss some of the things that they got from work, whether that be intellectual stimulation,
rotflmao!

I can see that this would vary from job to job. In my job, I actually do get a lot of intellectual stimulation at work. There is a kind of analytical thinking and reasoning that I use at my work that really is at a much higher level than I need to use in my non-work life. I do still plan to fully retire, but something that I do know that I will want to replace is to find a place outside of work where I can use that kind of higher level thinking. I believe in - at least to some extent - use it or lose it. As much as I enjoy leisure time activities and activities of daily life, I simply don't use in those activities the type of thinking to the same extent that I use it at work and I don't want to lose those abilities and get rusty at thinking. I don't really want to do any more work in my field once I retire so I won't get it that way. So I do ponder how to get that in the future.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
seraphim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,492
Kats

The laughter was merely for my own particular situation *grin* . I, too, enjoy mental stimulation: my main hobby is learning.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!"

Robert Heinlein
__________________
"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
The person who cuts my hair is 60 and says she'll never retire because when you retire you die. While she's entitled to her opinion, I was forced to retire for medical reasons and am still around, enjoying life. It was a tough adjustment because it wasn't voluntary, but I'm seldom bored. Working out, coffee groups. lots of volunteering, gardening in the summer, a bit of travel, housework, reading, hiking, naps, cooking, internet interactions, Osher classes, doing the daily crossword, etc. I relish the time spent just sitting in a lawn chair in the backyard listening to the birds. I even enjoy hanging clothes on the line in the backyard when the weather is good. Simple pleasures. . .
__________________
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.
Redbugdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 959
What's wrong with slowing down and smelling the roses? All that go-go-go is what burns you out. Just like f4mandolin pointed out.
__________________
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Another angle on this: we have become intolerant of boredom lately, with the constant busy-ness, always feeding ourselves entertainment, continual distractions of one kind or another... Back in the old days (100 years ago, let's say), people were accustomed to "boring" spells. It was just part of the rhythm of life. But nowadays, we are constantly entertained, distracted, and/or busy with one thing or the next. So boredom -- which is really a natural part of life -- feels strange and uncomfortable. I'm reminded of a parent who responded to her kid's complaint, "I'm bored" with "Good, be bored."

Everyone needs to learn how to tolerate some periods of boredom -- life is not all excitement and interesting activities -- and maybe that's something that some people have a hard time handling, in retirement. I think spending time being bored can be useful sometimes. But it can also be hard to tolerate, if you're not used to sitting with it, always getting up and having to "do" something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
The person who cuts my hair is 60 and says she'll never retire because when you retire you die. While she's entitled to her opinion, I was forced to retire for medical reasons and am still around, enjoying life. It was a tough adjustment because it wasn't voluntary, but I'm seldom bored. Working out, coffee groups. lots of volunteering, gardening in the summer, a bit of travel, housework, reading, hiking, naps, cooking, internet interactions, Osher classes, doing the daily crossword, etc. I relish the time spent just sitting in a lawn chair in the backyard listening to the birds. I even enjoy hanging clothes on the line in the backyard when the weather is good. Simple pleasures. . .
Insert "quiet contemplation and introspection" for "boredom", and it provides a whole new meaning. Looks like PawPrint gets it.

Training the mind is hard work. DW works diligently on it through meditation and study. I hope it takes her a while to train her mind because, I'm afraid she's going to work on mine next.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Insert "quiet contemplation and introspection" for "boredom", and it provides a whole new meaning. Looks like PawPrint gets it.

Training the mind is hard work. DW works diligently on it through meditation and study. I hope it takes her a while to train her mind because, I'm afraid she's going to work on mine next.
You're already half-way there if you just wrote what you wrote. Time to understand myself was one thing I did on a 9 month accidental retirement. When I went back to w*rk, I treat the whole thing differently; whereas before I'd be stressed out over things, now I just think to myself "they don't pay me enough to raise my BP even one point". Of course my relaxed approach might not get me the biggest merit raises, but, as it turns out, it's not hard to shine in my current position.

--Dale--
__________________
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,896
I, too, love those simple pleasures, and the ability to take enough time to bring creative ideas to fruition. In fact, I fear that I could retire too late to really use my creativity. Eyes and hands deteriorate, and mine have seen their best days in an employer's service.

As I age, I find another concern about retirement emerging. It has to do with socializing. I am gregarious and can easily chit-chat and small-talk to get the ball rolling, but I can't stand small talk for very long. I need more substantive conversation. At work, there is always WORK to be discussed. Everyone has something to contribute.

When they aren't discussing work, though, people always seem to slide into those middle-aged standbys, "kids," "property values/property taxes," "petty gossip," and "politics." All good subjects for a little while, but please...can't there be a little variation? And after trying once or twice to turn the conversation to something more entertaining (to me), I have to find an excuse to leave the room. The same thing happens when I join "interest groups." You'd think people would discuss the hobby or interest at hand, but no, there they are talking kids and property taxes.

As one ages, the standbys seemingly evolve to "grandkids," "the organ recital,"** "cost of living," and "what's the world coming to; wasn't like this when we were young." And there I will be again, running from the room.
I don't like that the alternative to social boredom seems to be hermit-dom, and I don't know what to do about it.

Amethyst
**Organ recital: My knee, my kidneys, my heart, my spleen, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
etc. I relish the time spent just sitting in a lawn chair in the backyard listening to the birds. I even enjoy hanging clothes on the line in the backyard when the weather is good. Simple pleasures. . .
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.
ER Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 721
I like substantive conversation too, amethyst. It's been a problem my whole life, though, not just now that I'm headed for retirement. My usual solution has been to find one person with whom I can talk in depth. It's often just a single person. Kind of a shame that it can't be a wider group than that, but that's just the way it's worked out for me, anyhow.
__________________
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

I can see that this would vary from job to job. In my job, I actually do get a lot of intellectual stimulation at work. There is a kind of analytical thinking and reasoning that I use at my work that really is at a much higher level than I need to use in my non-work life. I do still plan to fully retire, but something that I do know that I will want to replace is to find a place outside of work where I can use that kind of higher level thinking. I believe in - at least to some extent - use it or lose it. As much as I enjoy leisure time activities and activities of daily life, I simply don't use in those activities the type of thinking to the same extent that I use it at work and I don't want to lose those abilities and get rusty at thinking. I don't really want to do any more work in my field once I retire so I won't get it that way. So I do ponder how to get that in the future.
+1
__________________
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,735
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I recently did some volunteering. Then it became like work. People expected me at a certain time and duration. Needless to say I corrected that.
Amen Bro! They will never pin me down again. Do they think we are stupid?

I am my own man and always have been. Retirement is just another phase of life to be managed properly.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,735
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've read about golf or fishing enthusiasts who can only do so in their spare time while working, and plan to play golf or fish every day when they retire. Some may be happy as clams, but I've read some of them enjoy it for awhile only to find they're bored and they no longer enjoy an activity (golf or fishing) they once loved. But it certainly doesn't have to be that way, and shouldn't!
I gave up golfing when I retired. I decided that it was a handy excuse to play hookey when I worked, but after retiring, I could not justify the amount of time it burned up.

I seldom have a time when I say: "Gee what can I do now?" thankfully. I have a long list of things I want to accomplish. Ten years retired.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #75
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I seldom have a time when I say: "Gee what can I do now?" thankfully. I have a long list of things I want to accomplish.
+1 Surprisingly, I haven't even had a chance to begin on that list yet and I am in my 4th year of retirement.

It is puzzling to me that anyone could be so lacking in imagination as to be bored in retirement. I think that is tragic, and suspect the blame can be assigned to the negative effects of employment for so many years, squelching the imagination.

Retirees have a whole smorgasbord of wonderful activities and interests available to pursue, and retirement provides oceans of free time in which to do exactly that.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,896
For me it always ends up being husband and immediate family. (That takes care of the necessary "goofiness" factor which I crave just as much as substance). I just wonder what happened to all the wonderful conversations I had in college. Did those folks all go into hiding, or does everyone except the Amethyst clan and the folks on this list, totally lose their imaginations once they have kids and buy a house?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I like substantive conversation too, amethyst. It's been a problem my whole life, though, not just now that I'm headed for retirement. My usual solution has been to find one person with whom I can talk in depth. It's often just a single person. Kind of a shame that it can't be a wider group than that, but that's just the way it's worked out for me, anyhow.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For me it always ends up being husband and immediate family. (That takes care of the necessary "goofiness" factor which I crave just as much as substance). I just wonder what happened to all the wonderful conversations I had in college. Did those folks all go into hiding, or does everyone except the Amethyst clan and the folks on this list, totally lose their imaginations once they have kids and buy a house?

Amethyst
There don't seem to be a lot of freethinkers in the world, most have chosen their side/world-view and like to share their talking points with one another. Maybe (wishful thinking) it's just that most put on masks over the years, and they are just scared to speak plainly.

But I definitely know what you're talking about. At least I still have good conversations when I get together with my old college friends.

I just recently ERed (? FIREd? Dunno the proper verb form), and am wondering about how I'll be making new friends. I imagine most people I'd want to hang out with are too busy working.
__________________
Longview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview View Post
I just recently ERed (? FIREd? Dunno the proper verb form), and am wondering about how I'll be making new friends. I imagine most people I'd want to hang out with are too busy working.
I have taken advantage of a club for people new to the area (which I am) and have found multiple activities that interest me. My social calendar is filling fast!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,896
Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it goes.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have taken advantage of a club for people new to the area (which I am) and have found multiple activities that interest me. My social calendar is filling fast!
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I don't like a lot of activity; it overstimulates me and makes me anxious/stressed. I like a quiet, simple life. I'm not sure I would call it "bored," though -- to me, it's peaceful, and it allows me to think and recharge.
Greetings, fellow introvert!
__________________

__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The History of Early-Retirement.org REWahoo Forum Admin 108 11-12-2015 02:24 PM
HELOCS and Early Retirement? ERetire FIRE and Money 52 02-23-2012 03:10 PM
Are You Saving Too Much for Retirement? cscott711 FIRE and Money 22 01-09-2012 08:49 AM
Forced into very early retirement clo2009 FIRE and Money 6 07-21-2011 04:13 PM
Dark Side of Early Retirement Enuff2Eat FIRE and Money 43 06-27-2011 11:51 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.