Join Early Retirement Today

Bought a home, finally
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Bought a home, finally

We should be closing within 10 days or so. Living as renters for the past 4 months while we searched for a house or condo quickly convinced us that we are better suited to ownership (a highly personalized preference to be sure).

We're going for something new to us - a mid-rise building of about 60 units, small (1400 sf), partially offset by shared common facilities for storage, pool, fitness room, meeting/entertainment rooms for larger get-togethers, library, rooftop container gardening, lobby restaurant/bar/coffee shop etc. It is an easy walk to the San Francisco light rail system (20-30 minutes to downtown SFO) and the local city center. Ten minutes to the grandkids. City living.

We are still stunned by the housing market numbers here but have reached that point in ER where issues such as family, health and lifestyle are looming larger while pure finances are cautiously stabilizing.

Time to settle in for a spell.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for you.....can't imagine what prices in that area are like. 1400sf is small?
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful place to live in during retirement. I especially like the possibility of no yardwork, and having a fitness facility right there in the building.

I live in 1600 square feet, but almost 300 of those square feet are used for my home gym. For me, this is more square footage than I really need or use, and I would be perfectlly happy in well under 1000 square feet if there was a common fitness facility like that. I think 1400 square feet will feel just fine once you get used to it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Good for you.....can't imagine what prices in that area are like. 1400sf is small?
Downsized from 3200sf.

We ended up taking a 5x10 commercial storage room until we can sell or donate the dregs. DW has trouble separating with old things but seeing all this stuff, she is slowly coming around.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think 1400 square feet will feel just fine once you get used to it.
Thanks - I agree. Also, less to clean, air condition, paint, etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, as a Bay Area native, I can attest to the (very much) reduced A/C needs living in San Francisco. I remember going to *day games* at the old Candlestick Park to watch the Giants in July and people were bundled up....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wasn't trying to make a dig with the 1400sf comment(figured you were coming down).....our current house is a little over 1500sf with a workshop as well.....tooooo big for us and we will be going smaller in 5 years or so. Problem is.....it's really hard to find good housing in that 1200sf area. Usually if it is that size...it's in a bad neighborhood. They just don't seem to want to build smaller houses in new housing areas. But of course.....if we end up moving back to the UK.....1200sf will likely be big for our price range.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Thanks - I agree. Also, less to clean, air condition, paint, etc.
Congratulations on your new home. Condo life is an acquired taste, and the adjustment from single family to condo lifestyle is not easy for everyone. Less maintenance obligation and more free time does help, especially when that time makes a positive difference elsewhere. Hope it works out.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats, Rich. Before moving to the Tampa area we had a 1400 sq ft condo in Ft. Myers and loved it. Big enough for the two of us. Now we have 2050 and feel crowded. Why? Accumulated too much "stuff". Not me! That's what does it. You end up needing more room in which to fit your junk.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! Sounds like the ideal retirement home .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
+1. Your description of the extras is very appealing, Rich! And 1400 sf means you should have plenty of room for overnights for a couple of geandchildren at a time. So glad your plans are working out.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
We ended up taking a 5x10 commercial storage room until we can sell or donate the dregs.
Thus reinforcing the stereotype of doctors as dreg dealers...

Congrats on your new crib!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
+1
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You do have an extra bedroom, right?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! Sounds like my kind of place. I hope you have an excellent condo board and reserve.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Rich. I feel sure you and wife won't look back except to wonder, how long has this been going on?

Ha
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thus reinforcing the stereotype of doctors as dreg dealers...

Congrats on your new crib!
You just had to dreg that out

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You do have an extra bedroom, right?
And a putting green on the roof. I held out for a driving range on the roof but the pesky folks across the street objected.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations! Sounds like my kind of place. I hope you have an excellent condo board and reserve.
We did that once before and it never became problematic but I've heard all the horror stories; what? Me worry?!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote