Join Early Retirement Today

Bucket List
Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bucket List

Since the goal around here is to retire early I thought I would see what the diversity of interests are on this forum.

Send in your bucket list. A few things you want to do during this short stay on earth.

Here is mine:

Walk the Great Wall of China
African safari
Dive the Galapagos Islands
Dive the Great Barrier Reef
Attend an NFL game
Motorcycle through the American mid-west for 2 months
Raft the Grand Canyon
Visit NY City
Backpack through Western Europe
Visit the Smithsonian museum
Take surfing lessons in Bali
Ride a high speed train in Europe or Japan

What’s yours?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right up until we derailed it with some farm animal discussions, this was a good thread on the topic, CG. Things to Do Before You Die

Great list of yours!
None of yours are mine, but I've been thinking really hard about making a road trip on the Pan American highway happen soon if I can convince DH it isn't dangerous. I'd like to do the Central and South American parts, not the North American, though.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am looking for some specifics. I am hoping to keep this just a list, no deviations.

I think it might be interesting for people to apply some thought for a little adventure in their lives.

After all if you retire early you should have a couple of specific things you want to do. Not just gardening, sleeping in etc. Some place away from where you are now that you want to go and do something.

Looking forward to some replies.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Darn, I've already failed your test by having some narrative in there instead of just a list.

And here I was thinking I was applying some thought to the adventure in my life.

Bucket list:
Pay attention to the rules set in this thread for my next post

Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Grunt View Post
I am looking for some specifics. I am hoping to keep this just a list, no deviations.

I think it might be interesting for people to apply some thought for a little adventure in their lives.

After all if you retire early you should have a couple of specific things you want to do. Not just gardening, sleeping in etc. Some place away from where you are now that you want to go and do something.

Looking forward to some replies.

Myself, I retired so that I would not have to live up to someone else's expectations, and here you are spelling out expectations for me. If one is truly happy with one's self, one does for the joy, not because one must. One may sit under the apple tree contempalting a leaf and be more fulfilled than the person who must walk the Pacific Crest trail.

The only true must is to be.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpid lizard View Post
Myself, I retired so that I would not have to live up to someone else's expectations, and here you are spelling out expectations for me. If one is truly happy with one's self, one does for the joy, not because one must. One may sit under the apple tree contempalting a leaf and be more fulfilled than the person who must walk the Pacific Crest trail.

The only true must is to be.

Seems you are limiting yourself, If you don't have a list don't reply, then my post won't apply to you. I also have going to a NFL game so get off the high horse.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Whoa, add to that list some Dale Carnegie, eh?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Canada!

The item on your list that interests me is visiting the Smithsonian. I spent a couple of days there once but didn't make a dent on it. My problem with lists is that it may be just a tick off thing, I wouldn't tick off D.C. yet. I'd like to see that area the way I could if I lived there and wasn't distracted by something like w*rk.

I got to know someone who had REed and was taking apts. in various places across the U.S for a couple of years each place. When she met me, she said, "show me the opera." I tried to but it wasn't her thing, she may have ticked it off her list but didn't really experience it, IMO.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Seems you are limiting yourself, If you don't have a list don't reply, then my post won't apply to you. I also have going to a NFL game so get off the high horse.

Seems to me you do not have to limit yourself. You have already accomplished that goal.

If you want to be snarky, expect snarky back. Your original post pretty much was a slam against those who think those with your opinion of retirement are a bunch of scared children looking to keep busy rather than face themselves. I am not talking about your list, but rather about the rigidity of deciding how all should approach ER.

It is great to have things you want to do, but to attempt to impose your self limiting goals on others is nothing short of pomposity. Perhaps you should put working on your control issues at the top of your goals list.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok,

Different strokes for different folks. I am not trying to start an argument. Just started a list.

I find it amusing that people are upset by someone who has a few places and activities they want to do before exiting this world.

I also like lounging. If a person retires and that's their bag, I am all for it.

I am just trying to see what other things people might like to do. That opens my perspectives to areas I haven't thought of.

This is not a my list is better than your list competition so please don't view it that way.

If no one on this board has anything to contribute just let the thread die.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #11

Some people like to have specific goals in mind. Some don't. I detect no pompousness in either position.

As for me, right now the immediate issue is keeping DW happy by getting her father in a better position than he is now. Try to talk her into a travel trailer and "just head west" and failing that I'll get a motorcycle, or maybe do both. Or neither.

One day at a time.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought it was a great topic. Somone always has an axe to grind on the forum...

Here's a list from my Outlook notes. I must have had to go to the bathroom that day...

to do before I croak.
- see the serpent at the equinox at Chichen Itza.
- OBSERVE the running of the bulls.
- Participate in an Amish barn raising.
- Cruise the Panama Canal.
- Urinate in the Caspian Sea.
- Urinate in the Black Sea.
- Salmon fish with son and daughter.
- See olympic hockey game.
- Sail Georgian Bay.
- Ride a luge.
- Cook Duck A La Ronge.
- Collect tropical fish from the Amazon River.
- Visit Pearl Harbor.
- Build a brick fireplace.
- Discard list and start another.
newellcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

So is it okay to post about how nobody else should post anything except lists, or are you the only one who gets to do that?

Theres a reason why they call these "discussion groups". Its generally because we "discuss".

Perhaps what you'd enjoy more is something called a "blog". This is a newfangled thing where you can say whatever you like and nobody can talk back to you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So is it okay to post about how nobody else should post anything except lists, or are you the only one who gets to do that?

Theres a reason why they call these "discussion groups". Its generally because we "discuss".

Perhaps what you'd enjoy more is something called a "blog". This is a newfangled thing where you can say whatever you like and nobody can talk back to you.
Bunny,

You know what makes a forum boring. It's when certain people project their opinions over others in a mass intent to control their viewpoints. It's not a discussion when you rant against a request for a list. It's an attempt to destroy a thread you don't like, perhaps feel threatened that your lifestyle is inadequate even though I already submitted that I am not interested in comparing lifestyles. I requested a simple list and I get a bunch of malcontents griping about the request. That's why it's called a bucket list.

Take a look at the original request. Some individuals on this forum act like malcontent children. But, that’s where the entertainment portion comes in. I am done with this thread.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....I am done with this thread.
You should see the mal-formed waffles I made for breakfast, needed bacon.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've been thinking really hard about making a road trip on the Pan American highway happen soon if I can convince DH it isn't dangerous. I'd like to do the Central and South American parts, not the North American, though.
Sara, I've been on part of the pan-am-hi and I think the term "highway" is a massive overstatement. And yes, it's dangerous, at least in Ecuador, where I was. The danger, as we experienced it, was the anarchic driving. Imagine a two-lane road with no guardrails, a precipitous drop on one end and a mountain straight up on the other, and there are two buses speeding towards each other when a THIRD bus (these are all big Greyhound buses) decides to make a third lane and just squeezes into the middle. I've never seen anything so crazed in my life.

Now multiply by several thousand miles. Have fun!

Not to say that it wasn't gorgeous and I'm not thrilled that we went. Would I do it again? Sure, after my children are raised, since I'd like to be the one to do the raising.

P.S. You recommended Merle's Door to me, and I really enjoyed it, though I've got to say that parts of his model (especially the free-range part of it) seem unlikely in our suburban world.

Oh, and as far as the bucket list:

Drive across the US
Declutter our second bedroom
Write a magazine article and have it published.
Have my dog pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen test.
Create a community scholarship foundation for our local high school students.
Oh, yeah -- retire early!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
The danger, as we experienced it, was the anarchic driving. Imagine a two-lane road with no guardrails, a precipitous drop on one end and a mountain straight up on the other, and there are two buses speeding towards each other when a THIRD bus (these are all big Greyhound buses) decides to make a third lane and just squeezes into the middle. I've never seen anything so crazed in my life.
!
Actually, that style of driving sems to be quite common in a lot of places I'm directly familiar with Venezuela and the Middle East (Iran) and saw it quite often. We say in God We Trust. They live it!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bunny,

You know what makes a forum boring. It's when certain people project their opinions over others in a mass intent to control their viewpoints. It's not a discussion when you rant against a request for a list. It's an attempt to destroy a thread you don't like, perhaps feel threatened that your lifestyle is inadequate even though I already submitted that I am not interested in comparing lifestyles. I requested a simple list and I get a bunch of malcontents griping about the request. That's why it's called a bucket list.

Take a look at the original request. Some individuals on this forum act like malcontent children. But, that’s where the entertainment portion comes in. I am done with this thread.
Wow, thats quite a diaper full. And I didnt even post any pictures of donuts. Bummer, another opportunity wasted.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"I am done with this thread"

You know how many kids in Ethiopia that go without threads?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, even Africa gets into the act. You also gotta watch out for pedestrians worldwide. My Ethiopian acquaintance was jaywalking and almost killed a bike rider. She was carted off for observation and is back walking around with a bad back just like me. The bike rider is okay but had to carry his bike home.