Join Early Retirement Today

Bucket list road trip
Old 03-28-2015, 04:41 AM   #1
gone traveling

Bucket list road trip

I want to take a couple months or more to do a pan-USA motorcycle road trip.

I can stop back in to home base but want to do some serious exploration of America as I've spent most of my adult years traveling the world and not seeing much of my own country.
Probably do this solo but maybe DW will want to tag along for parts of the journey.

I am looking for some itineraries. Years ago there was a book called "seeing American on her two lane highways" or something like that with various itineraries to see the historic sites. I'm starting to research this but a part of me wants to not do much planning and just get up and go. Sorta plan along the way and see what happens.

Has anyone done such a trip - maybe by motorcycle or RV ? What do you recommend? Should this be a year long odyssey? Or is it a 2 month road trip or a few 2 week road trips ? Any ideas what to budget (ok camping and cooking along the way to save some money) and what is your must-see stuff?

The wind is calling .....
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

This may be the book you're thinking of. I remember enjoying it when it came out. Should be in the library.

Blue Highways: A Journey into America
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
gone traveling

i retire in 6 weeks and plan on the same thing...
i'll leave may 4th for 2 weeks with a vstrom rally may the 17th before the ride back home. this will be primarily the blue ridge mtns. Sept/Oct will be another trip --Tx, Ariz, Ut, Co and states inbetween. this trip will be in my Miata with my wife. camping only both trips. I'm also working a deal for Extended trip out of Ireland. advrider.com has lots of ride reports to draw info from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4578.jpg (599.9 KB, 40 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH has taken several 'epic journeys' thru the US and Canada on his m/c.

This year he plans to do the remaining eight states of the lower 48. He does map out a plan with an itinerary that for the most part is for my benefit. I think it helps him as well since he'll know where lodging accommodations are available. Sometimes he'll stay with friends, at hotels or KOA campgrounds. He's always had good luck with KOA. He takes a one man tent, sleeping bag and three days of clothing. He also takes a journal and writes of the day's adventures.

His favorite states to ride are Colorado and Wyoming. He says he could take a month just to ride in each of those states. He's put 50k miles on his m/c since he retired in 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gbike.jpg (492.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here is an epic 13,699 mile route that hits most of the important landmarks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2149141

Pretty ambitious itinerary.

kypix
kypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Motorcycles are addicting. Trips planned for this year is Run For the Wall, NC, TN, TX, CO, Sturgis 75th Anniversary Rally (est 1M bikers), Bikes, Blues, and BBQ Rally in AR, and I am sure several trips in between. Longest trip at one time will be about a month. Others are about a week at a time.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a nine week, 7,000 mile car trip around the U.S. when I retired. * *My focus was to visit friends and family along the way *and to see some sites. *It was a fantastic trip! *Time visiting with family and friends was definitely the highlight. I renewed some relationships that had gotten sidetracked over the years and have maintained them.....priceless!! *It did take more planning than I like, but I was flexible and managed to see everyone on my list. *Plans for the next trip will be to have an open itinerary!

The book, Off the Beaten Path, by Readers Digest offers 1,000 scenic and interesting places to visit. There are many similar titles. *I can't give any specific advice since you will go the motorcycle camping route, but would love to hear of your experiences.*
healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

My current lease (lakefront condo) expires at the end of the month so I decided to buy another small RV (Phoenix Cruiser) with plans to travel around the US for a few months. I bought the RV last week (2012 model with 12k miles) and will hit the road on 3/31. I will travel with no real itinerary but hope to visit a few old friends and distant relatives that I rarely see anymore.

Since my lab (Coal, recently turned 12) and I are not getting any younger, there will likely be no better time for a long road trip. This may even help me decide where I want to live in the near term.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #9

No discussion of 'bucket list' would be complete without mentioning Ray Jardine. Here is a link to his motorcycle adventure page.

Ray Jardine's Adventure Page
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
gone traveling

Thanks for the info. I keep having this vision in my head about a big ball of string and wanting to see it - funny as it is I suddenly realize that for the past 25 years while working... As bob Marley poetically put it .... I knew it was raining but I never really felt the rain.

I've done some long mc trips - longest was 11k miles but we did it in less than 2 weeks. I want to slow down and take my time and see stuff and maybe visit a few people along the way.

DW and I are discussing approach. We have a dog and a kid still in HS so probably will have to initially stretch this out over several smaller segments each being 2 weeks to start. Hard to get away longer... That will come later down the line.
Do maybe some Hub and spoke itineraries to start.

Even during summer it may be hard to get away for long stints. That's ok by me.

can u believe at age 45 I've only bought one vehicle brand new and it was a Toyota corolla? Ha ha Not sure yet what I go with but either a slightly used bmw GS or harley bagger.

What was your favorite itinerary and why?

This was the book I was thinking about. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Trip-USA-.../dp/1598809253

Thanks ! ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1427575423.717278.jpg
Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH has taken several 'epic journeys' thru the US and Canada on his m/c.

This year he plans to do the remaining eight states of the lower 48. He does map out a plan with an itinerary that for the most part is for my benefit. I think it helps him as well since he'll know where lodging accommodations are available. Sometimes he'll stay with friends, at hotels or KOA campgrounds. He's always had good luck with KOA. He takes a one man tent, sleeping bag and three days of clothing. He also takes a journal and writes of the day's adventures.

His favorite states to ride are Colorado and Wyoming. He says he could take a month just to ride in each of those states. He's put 50k miles on his m/c since he retired in 2009.

Very cool bbbaml. Your DH looks like a bad ass. I envy his trips and hope to do something similar upon retirement.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Very cool bbbaml. Your DH looks like a bad ass. I envy his trips and hope to do something similar upon retirement.

Muir

Heh...you should see him by the time he gets home from one of his epic journeys.

I've gone on short trips with him, but only when the weather is perfect. His longer trips, well I'll just say I stay at home because I want him to enjoy his trip...it wouldn't be much fun for him listening to me freak out when I felt a raindrop.

...and Muir, I hope you get to enjoy that type of adventure as well.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I would highly recommend riding California Hwy 1. Some of the prettiest views around and it is an especially scenic view from a motorcycle.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypix View Post
Here is an epic 13,699 mile route that hits most of the important landmarks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2149141

Pretty ambitious itinerary.

kypix
+1 I was going to post this one as well. I did notice the route misses Niagra Falls, although it goes pretty close to that attraction.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
i retire in 6 weeks and plan on the same thing...
i'll leave may 4th for 2 weeks with a vstrom rally may the 17th before the ride back home. this will be primarily the blue ridge mtns. Sept/Oct will be another trip --Tx, Ariz, Ut, Co and states inbetween. this trip will be in my Miata with my wife. camping only both trips. I'm also working a deal for Extended trip out of Ireland. advrider.com has lots of ride reports to draw info from.
I RE beginning of March. I would do something with the blue ridge parkway or Shenandoah NP. I did that several years back on a Wee Strom... Those were not great twisties, but just get off the BRP and there are plenty of them.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used this book a few times to plan out MC trips.

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Scenic-Dr...0+scenic+roads

My second trip I was planning on camping but after 12 hours on a bike I wanted a hot shower and a bed. I didn't camp once. lol
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
gone traveling

Great inputs. Thanks. Can anyone recommend motorcycle friendly tent camp grounds or do you typically camp in state or national parks ?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Great inputs. Thanks. Can anyone recommend motorcycle friendly tent camp grounds or do you typically camp in state or national parks ?
BlueRidge MC campground in Cruso NC is good. Willville at Meadows of Dan Va is the best! Iron Horse just off 28 near deals Gap is MC only too. I have camped at many others over the years with no problems. I usually look for RV's. If RV's are there, i go elsewhere.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Bucket list road trip
Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Bucket list road trip

I try to take as many National Scenic Byways routes as possible when I road trip. I go online, find the scenic byways for each state, and then plan my trip to best fit these routes. Just went through Arizona and Utah, now in Colorado. But road tripping can be rough when you spend long days in the saddleImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1427801581.972496.jpg

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I try to take as many National Scenic Byways routes as possible when I road trip. I go online, find the scenic byways for each state, and then plan my trip to best fit these routes. Just went through Arizona and Utah, now in Colorado. But road tripping can be rough when you spend long days in the saddleAttachment 21388

Is that the motorcycle before the invention of the motor?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote