Built a few Bird Houses

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here are few bird houses I made with scrap lumber and tin. Nothing fancy not sure birds will use them. Not a conventional bird house but I will see what happens. I want to place them at the ranch and see if birds will make it a home.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26273&stc=1&d=1499185337

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26274&stc=1&d=1499185560

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26274&stc=1&d=1499185867

Last edited:
I always see birdhouses with round holes, and some are pretty precise in size. This is because the round hole stops predators from getting in to eat the eggs or baby birds.

So if they don't work as bird houses, it looks like they would easily convert to bird feeders.

Sunset >>> exactly or I will make a hole in a piece of wood and try that. I like to build things and tinker so if nothing else I had a fun day being creative and being imaginative. Lol

I wanted to get a bat house. I read that they eat tons of mosquitoes. I saw that home depot had them and that it might take a year or 2 to get a bat to take up residence. The bride was outside smoking a cigarette 2 days ago. She ran in and said I think I saw a bat. I went outside to look, I saw something swoop by, we both ran in. hahaha that was the end of me wanting a bat house.

I wanted to get a bat house. I read that they eat tons of mosquitoes. I saw that home depot had them and that it might take a year or 2 to get a bat to take up residence. The bride was outside smoking a cigarette 2 days ago. She ran in and said I think I saw a bat. I went outside to look, I saw something swoop by, we both ran in. hahaha that was the end of me wanting a bat house.
Also could have been chimney swifts. They come out at twilight and fly around in a pattern that looks a little like bats. We have a lot of swifts in our area. See a bat every once in a while but the disease has wiped out a lot of bats so they are much rarer.

A few years back I met a guy that was building bat houses. I was amazed at what they look liked. I would not have known what they even were. He said he wanted the bats around his rural farm site for insect control.

We hardly see bats any more :(, but when we did have them, they were more inclined to flutter than swoop. Swooping sounds like birds.

I always see birdhouses with round holes, and some are pretty precise in size. This is because the round hole stops predators from getting in to eat the eggs or baby birds.

I built a couple, 20+ years ago in B.C., for Martins.....reducing the size of the hole, it was suggested in the book I consulted, will stop not only predators but also larger birds from commandeering the box.

We hardly see bats any more :(, but when we did have them, they were more inclined to flutter than swoop. Swooping sounds like birds.

I didnt stick around to analyze the flutter/swoop phenomenon:LOL:.I saw something black in the night coming at us, I had a thought of the movie The Birds and we split.

I didnt stick around to analyze the flutter/swoop phenomenon:LOL:.I saw something black in the night coming at us, I had a thought of the movie The Birds and we split.

1962, somewhere in the vicinity of Cloncurry, western Queensland......three of us camped near a river.....we had a huge tarp which we spread out and slept under the stars.

Just before dawn, one of the guys, (I was the only one with a rifle, a little .22), said a whole bunch of ducks flew over earlier.

Tramped along the river, maybe a mile, heard this gawdawful noise......ducks, my rear end.........about a thousand huge fruit bats taking over every tree in sight. :LOL:

1962, somewhere in the vicinity of Cloncurry, western Queensland......three of us camped near a river.....we had a huge tarp which we spread out and slept under the stars.

Just before dawn, one of the guys, (I was the only one with a rifle, a little .22), said a whole bunch of ducks flew over earlier.

Tramped along the river, maybe a mile, heard this gawdawful noise......ducks, my rear end.........about a thousand huge fruit bats taking over every tree in sight. :LOL:

Yeah, If I had time to think about it, It probably was the scout for that same herd(flock?) of fruit bats. Except now they are man eating and now number in the 10's of thousands! Come to think of it I didnt see any mosquitoes that night.

Back
Top Bottom